Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Old desktop wallpaper, taken with 800 ISO at like 1/4th shutter and f/2 I think:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Butt Reactor posted:

Old desktop wallpaper, taken with 800 ISO at like 1/4th shutter and f/2 I think:

I think the grainyness really works for that photo. Great capture.

This is a long exposure, I swear.

Click image for flickr page/larger sizes

Exposure: 15s
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length:10 mm

And yes I watermark my photos (though I have since changed it/sized it down)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did anyone get any photos of the meteor shower the past few nights (Nondo)?

ncol
May 28, 2005

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

pr0digal posted:

I think the grainyness really works for that photo. Great capture.

Thanks, was going for the evening city/mountain effect kinda like this album cover:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

8 seconds, manually exposed, timed it with a cellphone as a timer

Touchdown Pope!
Jul 3, 2005
There is naught, nor ought there be, nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!
This was one of the first pictures I took after buying my tripod. 25 seconds exposure, ISO800, in almost pitch black. In the background are street lights, it's not a sunset :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

8 seconds, manually exposed, timed it with a cellphone as a timer

This is really nice, I love the glow on the street.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

596 images, 10s exposures. It's sister image (started about a minute after this one) is 597. I will probably post it later, as it actually has a decent Perseid in it, as opposed to the very short-lived ones that are only visible in this one under close inspection at near maximum resolution.

Stacked with a Photoshop action, same as my one from the Tetons last year.

The two streaks in the top left are Iridium flares. There are also two jets visible.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
That is sweet. That is so loving sweet. I am now trying to work out how to do that with a panorama.

Edit: I don't know what a perseid meteor shower looks like, so I can't quite work out a couple things. Can you tell me the ISO and F/stop and camera used for your pictures, Leviathor? If you don't mind!

Edit 2: This is the greatest thing I've ever done. I'm going to be on tenderhooks until I can print it out. I'm going to go buy an A1 portfolio solely because of this diptych.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 15, 2009

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

For the first: f/4; ISO800.

For the Tetons, I don't remember. I think they were 15s exposures, probably also at f/4 and ISO800.

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

One of a small handful of posters on TFR that really, really know their shit when it comes to long range target rifles. -Cyrano4747

PlasticSun posted:

Few from my latest trip out into Utah:

Full trip report here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150351

Those are loving fabulous!

What kind of post-processing did you do? I can't ever seem to get my milky way's that crisp without startrails forming due to too long of exposures....but then again I'm not usually in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution.

Do you do the dirtbike thing and ride rampart too?

CFH
Nov 26, 2004

Fucking Hostile
It's been awhile since I used this account, but I wanted to thank you guys for lighting my shutterbug tendencies again. I'll be shooting a lot more. :)

Here's a few of my favorite long exposure shots...

15s @ f/22

2s @ f/2.8 (sorry for the faint blur on the left. Some asshat jumped on the roof while I was taking this shot. I didn't realize it until I was in London, 2 weeks later and couldn't re-shoot.)

30s @ f/4.5

30s @ f/4.0

And this one, I dislike so many things about. It's about 7 years old or so I think, taken with an old sony mavica with a ghetto wide-angle humped onto the builtin optics. I had to tinker with the colors a bit to take a bit of the overexposure out of the lighting and define it a bit more than it was. But since it's my only successful lighting pic, I still <3 it. =)

Same setup and camera as above. But my first "real" pic that I really fell in love with.

DLR in London

And now I'll quit spamming. =P

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Hawaii

D700, 24-70 f/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 33 seconds. It was REALLY dark.

OfDeathandTaverns
Apr 1, 2007
Holy Cow!!
I apologize for the condition of these, my scanner is broken so I had to use my roommate's god awful dirty one.

I took these with a Polaroid Land Camera that I took the crappy plastic lens off of and replaced it with a Prontor shutter from a different camera.

Now I need to scrounge up enough money for a tripod that isn't utter shite.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
moon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

MrButterpants posted:

Those are loving fabulous!

What kind of post-processing did you do? I can't ever seem to get my milky way's that crisp without startrails forming due to too long of exposures....but then again I'm not usually in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution.

Do you do the dirtbike thing and ride rampart too?

Thanks!

There's very little post done on the images, the shots were 30 seconds at 2.8 and ISO 1600. On my 20D they're pretty noisy but they print at 11 X 17 pretty well. If there's interest I can post the originals here tomorrow.

The Dakar is pretty heavy for most of the stuff at Rampart but I've been back there a few times, mostly I just like riding Jeep roads and 4wheel drive tracks, it's been over a few gnarly things like Black Bear Pass but each time I do that I just seem to collect a lot of stratches on the sidetanks and bruises everywhere on me.

The XR650L you see in the shot is Stress Pill's the Triumph Bonnieville belongs to Rope Kid.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 18, 2009

Rojethee
Jan 26, 2009

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER
These are a tad old I need to get out and take some more soon

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
This is from a page ago, but I have a question

Nondo posted:

Sorry I missed this.

Captain Chestbeard covered it pretty well but yes I used bulb mode along with a cable release to lock the shutter open. In my case I avoided most of the light pollution by driving away from the city, I was in the mountains about an hour east of the city. Single exposure taken at f/4 for 1833 seconds.

If I'm shooting digital (maybe you were too?), should I be concerned with leaving my sensor going for 1833 seconds? Is that why some people stack exposures?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Here's the "sequel" to the star trails above:

597 10-second exposures. One Perseid on the right side, and a couple satellites on the left.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Here's a few from tonight. Experimented with a bunch of different settings.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

TiberiusM posted:

If I'm shooting digital (maybe you were too?), should I be concerned with leaving my sensor going for 1833 seconds? Is that why some people stack exposures?

No, your sensor will be fine, if your battery lasts long enough. You might get some heat spots, little coloured pixels in your photo, but they are easily removed.

What stacking exposures is for, in one instance, is catching a scene with something dynamic in it. Star trails, or even a scene with moving people. If you take six times thirty second exposures of a scene with moving people, or cars, or stars, you will have these neat trails, or just multiple of the same person or whatever in a scene that is correctly exposed. But if you take a 180 second exposure, you'll just have a ridiculously over exposed photograph.

I hope that makes sense, I'm pretty fatigued.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Helmacron posted:

That is sweet. That is so loving sweet. I am now trying to work out how to do that with a panorama.

Edit: I don't know what a perseid meteor shower looks like, so I can't quite work out a couple things. Can you tell me the ISO and F/stop and camera used for your pictures, Leviathor? If you don't mind!

Edit 2: This is the greatest thing I've ever done. I'm going to be on tenderhooks until I can print it out. I'm going to go buy an A1 portfolio solely because of this diptych.

Everytime I see your images I think: that guy would go nuts with a Gigapan.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Helmacron posted:

What am I looking at? I like it.

This whole thread has some great stuff in it, keep up the good work everybody and keep shooting at night!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

CFH posted:

I'd like to see more. What's your flickr link?

From my latest outing:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

snowman posted:

What am I looking at? I like it.

On the left is a 31 image polar panorama looking up, on the right is a 31 image polar panorama looking down. The panoramas have been taken at the exact same latitude and longitudinal point, to the inch, but 25 metres straight up.

And I've never seen this gigapan thing before. I don't think it would work for me, it's probably more for daylight, point and shoot panoramics, but it looks neat.

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

One of a small handful of posters on TFR that really, really know their shit when it comes to long range target rifles. -Cyrano4747

PlasticSun posted:

Thanks!

There's very little post done on the images, the shots were 30 seconds at 2.8 and ISO 1600. On my 20D they're pretty noisy but they print at 11 X 17 pretty well. If there's interest I can post the originals here tomorrow.

The Dakar is pretty heavy for most of the stuff at Rampart but I've been back there a few times, mostly I just like riding Jeep roads and 4wheel drive tracks, it's been over a few gnarly things like Black Bear Pass but each time I do that I just seem to collect a lot of stratches on the sidetanks and bruises everywhere on me.

The XR650L you see in the shot is Stress Pill's the Triumph Bonnieville belongs to Rope Kid.

Excellent. I shoot a 30 and 40D so guess I shouldn't really be complaining about my noise level if you've got such nice results with a 20.

I ride an XR400...we're doing Taylor Park/Italian Creek/American Flag Mtn next week :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Two panoramics I took form the roof of a hotel on a hill on the edge of my city. Would it not have been so hazy you could have seen across the Georgia border into South Carolina.

Wubble
Dec 29, 2008
I've been wanting to do more night photography but haven't had the chance. Here is one from a few weeks earlier.

Wubble fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 20, 2009

FSFilms
Aug 22, 2009

by mons all madden
So many of the images in this thread are just stunning. Very inspiring, I have been meaning to take a ride into the city with a tripod on a good night, this is pushing me in the right direction. I don't have almost any experience with doing long exposure stuff, here are the few I've tried in the past.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Set up a tripod near a few rides at the CNE last night, got some decent results:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Obligatory ferris wheel shot

The ugliest apartment building in sydney which has by far the best view/position anywhere.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Metadata on Flickr seems to have gotten screwed up between the shooting and the compositing and the uploading. Speeds were 2.5 seconds for the background and 1/400 for the flames.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

CNE fun!

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I wish I could just take panoramas all the time. I'm sad at my current job.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 1, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helmacron posted:

What in the flying gently caress is going on in this picture :psyduck:

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Haha that's brilliantly confusing, I love it.

I don't have anything significant to add, it's been a while since I've taken a decent amount of photos and the few I have are more just tests to see how dark I can do handheld.

[1/6 2.8 6400 handheld]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
Here's one of mine:

I have a really hard time getting good focus when I'm trying to take pictures of the moon. I am using a Sigma 70-300mm lens and I just can't quite get focus. Does anyone have any tips, or do I just need to buck up and get a nice good quality prime glass? Here's an example. This is after Photoshopping it with USM.