Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Confusion posted:

Where did you take the shots though? I imagine somewhere remote and high? With a little air pollution, light pollution and atmosphere getting in the way?

I took that picture on holiday in the Italian lakes, sat outside my tent about 2000ft up in the dolomites. Certainly great conditions for it, but you can manage light pollution with filters, this was taken from my roll off roof shed in my back garden in Basingstoke England.

Click here for the full 1000x666 image.

Rated PG-34

That is beautiful, where was it taken? It looks like Carcassonne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I took these of the St. Boniface Cathedral. I was going for a darker look.

In the second image, you can see one of my classmates setting up their tripod to take a photo and then leaving. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Jekub posted:

Rated PG-34

That is beautiful, where was it taken? It looks like Carcassonne.

Yeah, those are the ramparts of la Cité Médiéval of Carcassonne.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah, those are the ramparts of la Cité Médiéval of Carcassonne.

Ah, I loved Carcassone.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
Here's one from a shoot I did a few weeks ago. Pedestrian foot bridge in a park in Houston, TX.

This is one I just shot tonight for a photo class. I'm supposed to experiment with the color temperature by shooting different types of light in the same photograph. I think the taillights along the bottom really provide an interesting line for the eye to follow. I'm not so sure about the green light though. I made the white balance a bit warmer in post, because I really wanted to over emphasize the red in the shot.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

When it's really dark and you're setting up your equipment, how do you see? In the past I've had trouble making sure I've got the subject in frame as I can't really see much through the viewfinder. Although I'm using a Nikon D50 which isn't that great to look through really unless there's loads of light. This means I have trouble focusing, and when I get back to look at the shots on my computer I'm often disappointed. Should I just set the aperture to f/16 and just focus manually? I usually use my Sigma 10-20 so I suppose I could use a little flashlight and adjust the focusing ring.

For example, there's a beach near me and a few times I've gone out in the evening, around and after sunset and got a few shots that I like, e.g. this:

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

I tried to go when it was properly dark and take some really long exposures of the water, as before, possibly with stars and/or moon, but I just couldn't get what I visualised. I think it's due to what I mentioned before, not getting what I want in the frame and also the focus being messed up. I suppose I could do with a few pointers for settings to use when it's dark, rather than low light.

Also, do people use that long exposure noise reduction feature that is present in some cameras? Does it help? I haven't really thought about it before but it's something that just occured to me now.

Thanks!

also, now I look back at that photo I posted, it seems a little over processed to me. Any tips on editing long exposure night photos? Sorry for all the questions!

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Ground fog!

I really need a telephoto lens....

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
^ That looks really cool. Could you not get any closer? Shame you missed out because of ze lens.

Here's a silly looking building. I'm thinking about going back and reshoot it with a bit more light in the sky.

Edit:

Xanin posted:

Also, do people use that long exposure noise reduction feature that is present in some cameras? Does it help? I haven't really thought about it before but it's something that just occured to me now.

On my 400D it takes forever to apply the noise reduction so I rather do it in post than wait around and look like a retard. The first time I tried it I thought the camera died or something because there was no progress bar or anything.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 29, 2009

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Ringo R posted:

^ That looks really cool. Could you not get any closer? Shame you missed out because of ze lens.
My helicopter pilot had the night off. (Seriously, it's a cliff there)

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Xanin posted:

When it's really dark and you're setting up your equipment, how do you see? In the past I've had trouble making sure I've got the subject in frame as I can't really see much through the viewfinder. Although I'm using a Nikon D50 which isn't that great to look through really unless there's loads of light. This means I have trouble focusing, and when I get back to look at the shots on my computer I'm often disappointed. Should I just set the aperture to f/16 and just focus manually? I usually use my Sigma 10-20 so I suppose I could use a little flashlight and adjust the focusing ring.

For example, there's a beach near me and a few times I've gone out in the evening, around and after sunset and got a few shots that I like, e.g. this:

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

I tried to go when it was properly dark and take some really long exposures of the water, as before, possibly with stars and/or moon, but I just couldn't get what I visualised. I think it's due to what I mentioned before, not getting what I want in the frame and also the focus being messed up. I suppose I could do with a few pointers for settings to use when it's dark, rather than low light.

Thanks!

also, now I look back at that photo I posted, it seems a little over processed to me. Any tips on editing long exposure night photos? Sorry for all the questions!
I use a guess and check method for composition when it's really dark. Your eyes will adjust some, but it can still be tough to see small things through the viewfinder. Just crank up your iso, open up your aperture as far as it will go, then set to a shutter speed under 1 second and hand hold it until you get it roughly right, then put on a tripod and do your fine adjustments. Check on your lcd until everything is where you want it. You can even determine the correct exposure this way and then count down stops when you turn the iso and aperture back up to figure out how long you need to expose for. A powerful flashlight is a must for night photography.

Tiburon
Jun 21, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I thought I would give this a try.

Click here for the full 425x640 image.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
one from here

and two from croatia:

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.
A couple from around Austin, Tx.

GratefulHume
Aug 8, 2005

mobilis in mobili
Here is a cross post from SAD.

Palm trees and stars:

~30 min exposure

~1 min exposure

~1 min exposure

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

quazi posted:

Here are my latest:
Oklahoma City National Memorial

This is very graphic & well-composed. I love that it's 9:01. It's a very conceptual shot with one stationary figure & one who vacated the frame earlier. I might play around with the curves a little more. It's a little flat to me, but it's all subjective!

Some favorites I've done:

Zaha Hadid's temporary Burnham Pavilion when it was up in Chicago's Millennium Park.

The most clichéd of cliché carnival shots, but I liked the overlapping light trails.

Guy and his dog loitering at a bank...

Chicago skyline seen from the BP pedestrian bridge.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

New to long exposures. Any easy way to reduce the huge spreading flarey glow of street lamps other than increasing shutter speed?

Wes Mantooth
Dec 23, 2005

The reclusive dictator of the "Hermit Kingdom"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45952349@N06/4299523026/

Toronto docks looking towards the skyline.

Wes Mantooth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 22, 2010

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

This is very graphic & well-composed. I love that it's 9:01. It's a very conceptual shot with one stationary figure & one who vacated the frame earlier. I might play around with the curves a little more. It's a little flat to me, but it's all subjective!
Thanks. I appreciate that you noticed the disappearing person. If you ever get a chance to go to the OKC memorial, expect to see ghosts.

If you're referring to the shadows in the stairwell being flat, yeah I might go in a punch those up a little more. The bulk of the image is intentionally black though.

---

I posted this in the SAD thread, but everybody got too wrapped up in baby crap to critique the image.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Dread Head posted:

I love night stuff and have been meaning to do some more.

How did you do this? How'd you make it seem like a model? I see this style all the time but can't figure out how to do it and don't know anyone who has.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

How did you do this? How'd you make it seem like a model? I see this style all the time but can't figure out how to do it and don't know anyone who has.

Its called Tilt Shift: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

I just popped in this thread to say I love night time and low-light photography, and its one of the main reasons I'm buying a DSLR. Hopefully in a few months I can pop back in with some of my own stuff that isnt laughable.

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again
Messing with a Canon SX200IS:

Click here for the full 1600x899 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1086 image.

deftcleft
Oct 24, 2008

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa
This is the only artsy one I've taken semi-recently that I've been happy with.

But I live with Boomerjinks so I have a lot of stuff like this laying around.

Bruno_me fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 23, 2010

Ubergoat
Oct 5, 2004
Goat, the other white meat.
Y'all have some really amazing shots. Ishkibibble - I really like the lighting effect you get in your chicago skyline shot.

Beach near Chicago in winter

From a parking lot in SF - HDR (terrible, I know, but I like it here)

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
I've been trying my hand at some long exposures but every shot I take seems to be slightly out of focus. AF obviously doesn't work due to the darkness and every time I just switch it into MF and put it on infinity focus nothing is in any way sharp. How do you guys get such sharp focus on these shots taken in near pitch blackness?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

mCpwnage posted:

I've been trying my hand at some long exposures but every shot I take seems to be slightly out of focus. AF obviously doesn't work due to the darkness and every time I just switch it into MF and put it on infinity focus nothing is in any way sharp. How do you guys get such sharp focus on these shots taken in near pitch blackness?

I tend to flip out the flash and throw on autofocus just to get the focus. I don't have a tripod yet, so I have to rely on a firm hand and a stable object to hold the camera base on. Haven't seen anything at night yet that's worth capturing without a tripod (ie finding the right flat topped post/wall).

I'm still amateurish, so if any of you guys think I'm doing it wrong, by all means correct me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mCpwnage posted:

I've been trying my hand at some long exposures but every shot I take seems to be slightly out of focus.
Are you stopped down, using a decent support system, and using mirror lock-up?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

mCpwnage posted:

Try focusing for the hyperfocal distance. If your lens has DOF scale markings, a quick and easy way of doing this is to set the infinity symbol to the outer marking corresponding to your f-stop. You'll get much more DOF than you would by just focusing for infinity.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One of the first few I've taken, I have some practicing to do, but I like this one and it reminds me of the scene in ET with the spaceship in the woods.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2w7jrcn.jpg

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Love all these shots, some really amazing stuff here.

Here's a picture I took at 3am from the balcony of a beach house I rented for my wedding on the Oregon coast.

Picture links to larger version.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Taking long time exposures is not what you are supposed to be doing during your honeymoon nights ! :argh:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Lovely Philadelphia at night:

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Cross_ posted:

Taking long time exposures is not what you are supposed to be doing during your honeymoon nights ! :argh:

:V That wasn't on my honeymoon night. We had the house rented for about 4 days.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am just getting into night time photography, so my stuff won't look as good as you guys. Also I am using a point and shoot, I will be purchasing a real DSLR soon.

I don't have a tripod yet so I used the roof of my car.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crossposted from SAD

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
Here's a couple I've done.

HDAARGH

A tunnel

and a car wash.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ORiGINAL posted:

and a car wash.

Love this. Spooky look to it. :ghost:

Got out and shot the Toledo skyline this past weekend. I'm still new to it but this is my favorite so far. It's killing me that I can't get "Fifth Third Bank" on the tower sharper. Is there any way to get this or am I screwed since it's a really bright white light making the letters?

Notice my jacket covering up a light? :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Is there any way to get this or am I screwed since it's a really bright white light making the letters?
Shoot another picture with an exposure appropriate for the letters, mask it onto the first shot. Voila!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Shoot another picture with an exposure appropriate for the letters, mask it onto the first shot. Voila!

Jeez, I really overthink things sometimes. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Chicago skyline seen from the BP pedestrian bridge.

i took this panorama like 3 years ago from like the same spot

took a very long time and it was very cold