Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A small part of the vast IC1318 emission nebula in Cygnus known as the Butterfly, the bright star is Sadr, the central star of the constellation. The small cluster at the top is NGC6910

Jekub fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
There are some incredible shots in this thread. I haven't been shooting for long, but here was my first attempt at night time long exposures. Taken back in June during the ROT (Republic of Texas) bike rally.

And finally, a firetruck was driving through.

The rest are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/sets/72157624145324355/

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Planted myself at a couple of busy intersections and tried not to get hit by cars

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4772876819/

flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4772876631/in/photostream/

flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4773514864/in/photostream/

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

DoLittle posted:

I think that's a shot you pretty much HAVE to use a wide-angle lens for or else you get the mess with all the partial cars at the bottom. Or you can fire up that photoshop and get to work! Other than that it's a cool shot.

Took this on a beach in hawaii. It was very dark. 30 seconds @ f2.8 and iso 6400 and there still wasn't any detail on the trees.

Wes Mantooth
Dec 23, 2005

The reclusive dictator of the "Hermit Kingdom"

RangerScum posted:

Took this on a beach in hawaii. It was very dark. 30 seconds @ f2.8 and iso 6400 and there still wasn't any detail on the trees.

I think you did quite well with this shot, the silhouette of the trees works nicely with the the scene, I like the light in the horizon as well.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm not sure how I feel about these. I haven't really done much night photography before.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 23, 2010

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I took this one hoping to capture some lightning, but instead it started pouring immediately after the shutter closed and I had to run back to my car.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

I think that's a shot you pretty much HAVE to use a wide-angle lens for or else you get the mess with all the partial cars at the bottom. Or you can fire up that photoshop and get to work! Other than that it's a cool shot.

The only thing that could make this better is a stoned as hell Carl Sagan marveling at the wonder of the universe. The dreamy looking trees work well.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

dumb sodiumsz

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

aliencowboy posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about these. I haven't really done much night photography before.
I like it. It would be nice if you fixed the verticals though. Also the two bright highlights towards the bottom are kind of distracting.

FetusOvaries posted:

dumb sodiumsz
The color balanced porch light is what almost saves this shot. It's contrast against the sodium lights is pretty amazing, but the moon and streetlight are way too distracting.

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005
I'm new to this and I'm not sure how I feel about these one. Feedback is welcome.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Long time no post for me:

Last one is another try at an older shot of mine.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Frinkahedron posted:

Long time no post for me:

Last one is another try at an older shot of mine.

How did you use a tripod inside the lincoln memorial? Every time I go there, even if my tripod is folded up and strapped to my back someone runs up to me saying "No tripods!"

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
This was my first jump into night time long exposure photography. having problems focusing. Especially when it's 2-3 AM in the pitch black.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Stregone posted:

How did you use a tripod inside the lincoln memorial? Every time I go there, even if my tripod is folded up and strapped to my back someone runs up to me saying "No tripods!"

I actually set up right next to two Park Police officers answering random questions from tourists. Try going at 9PM on a Saturday?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Four Banger posted:

This was my first jump into night time long exposure photography. having problems focusing. Especially when it's 2-3 AM in the pitch black.

Live view and manual focus sometimes helps in such situations. Especially if you magnify the live view.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Live view and manual focus sometimes helps in such situations. Especially if you magnify the live view.

I was manually focusing but it's very hard when it's pitch black. There was quite litterally NO light except the stars. And the D80 doesn't have live view. I kinda wish it did sometimes. IT would have come in handy here

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 2, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Four Banger posted:

I was manually focusing but it's very hard when it's pitch black. There was quite litterally NO light except the stars. And the D80 doesn't have live view. I kinda wish it did sometimes. IT would have come in handy here

Yeah, without live view, forget what I said. Using manual focus through the viewfinder may be your only option, but it's not going to work very well.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

RangerScum posted:

Shots like these are wonderful, wish I could go somewhere dark enough to do that.

It's not possible to take a shot of a city and the Milky Way, is it? That'd look amazing.

Tried taking advantage of the illuminated fog tonight. Missed the focus though, looks a bit odd.

I tried shooting in this exact location last year and was able to capture this (which focused correctly!):

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 2, 2010

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Instrumedley posted:

It's not possible to take a shot of a city and the Milky Way, is it? That'd look amazing.

It is (not my shot):

From the 2007 Perseid meteor shower. My shot from the same year has some pretty awful light pollution, but no visible city. (2010 Perseids are coming up soon, folks.)

Four Banger: There are a couple focusing tricks when wanting to shoot landscape (or general 'sky stuff') at night. Preset the focus on some distant object--like the horizon--when it is light out, then don't touch the focusing ring. If the focus does change, and it is now dark, the moon (if it is up) is your best bet. If the moon isn't up, try the horizon again. Lastly, use a flashlight and the lens' distance scale to manually focus at infinity, or else just blindly crank the focus all the way to the infinity stop. I will typically back it off from the infinity stop a nudge, but that's primarily because lenses shouldn't even have to hit the stop to achieve acceptable infinity focus.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Here's two more from the same night. I've gotta say I'm happier with my focus in these ones.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Leviathor posted:

It is (not my shot):

From the 2007 Perseid meteor shower. My shot from the same year has some pretty awful light pollution, but no visible city. (2010 Perseids are coming up soon, folks.)

Four Banger: There are a couple focusing tricks when wanting to shoot landscape (or general 'sky stuff') at night. Preset the focus on some distant object--like the horizon--when it is light out, then don't touch the focusing ring. If the focus does change, and it is now dark, the moon (if it is up) is your best bet. If the moon isn't up, try the horizon again. Lastly, use a flashlight and the lens' distance scale to manually focus at infinity, or else just blindly crank the focus all the way to the infinity stop. I will typically back it off from the infinity stop a nudge, but that's primarily because lenses shouldn't even have to hit the stop to achieve acceptable infinity focus.

You can if you have a loose definition of "city" most major cities will create too much light pollution and drown out the milky way. But if you can find a small town in a fairly dark location you can get stuff like this. For reference the town in the shot is Radium Springs, a town near the Mexico border with a population of 1500.

I've tried before with Gunnison CO, but that town of 7000 has too many street lights so that the milky way was pretty faint.

She makes achieving infinity focus sound pretty hard but it's not when you're shooting digital. Just take a shot at close to the infinity stop and then zoom in in the preview. If it's blurry back off some, repeat until you've got a good sharp image. I wouldn't really trust the auto focus on something I was illuminating with a flash light at infinity focus. If you're shooting pretty wide you'll have a big margin of error anyway.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I've never had an issue just keeping a small penlight with me and doing a visual check of my focus distance indicator on my lens. Move to infinity, take sample picture. Chances are you'll be really close or spot on within 2 shots.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
First ever (very half-assed) attempt at taking a photo of the milky way. Just stepped outside a few minutes ago to see what would happen. It feels like I want to be a little bit wider than 24mm but I guess going to a different location might help with fitting more sky in. My garden which is surrounded by a fence, street lights and mountains probably wasn't ideal.

24mm, f2.8, 30s ISO 3200

edit: I hadn't touched the blue channel, just took out a bit of orange and magenta after fixing the white balance. Was probably a bit too far on the blue side. This was just an experiment to try and figure out what the best way to capture some night sky shots was. Hopefully next time I can go some place a little bit cooler.

a little less blue:

big cheese fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 5, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

big cheese posted:

First ever (very half-assed) attempt at taking a photo of the milky way. Just stepped outside a few minutes ago to see what would happen. It feels like I want to be a little bit wider than 24mm but I guess going to a different location might help with fitting more sky in. My garden which is surrounded by a fence, street lights and mountains probably wasn't ideal.

24mm, f2.8, 30s ISO 3200

It looks like you bumped the saturation on the blue channel a bit too much, I'd try increasing the luminance of the blue channel. Also if you want a few more to peak out you can drop the saturation of the Megenta/Cyan and crank the luminance of those as well.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

That green line is a train.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 8, 2010

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I took some of these the past month, I have been into night photography this summer. I have some others, I just need to get them developed. I have had a serious lack of inspiration lately :( Some of these are in pad, so nothing new really. I am about to do a triptych of some pictures of the moon and changing clouds, I just need to sit down and do it. All them except the last one are shot on Tri-X iso 400

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Bout three in the morning, and it was PITCH black. Really hard to get right, since I couldn't autofocus, and could barely see out my viewfinder it was so dark. 30 seconds.

Oh yeah, and saw a shooting star as I was setting up. Thankfully no ghosts, as the joint is supposed to be haunted. I think I got across the idea that this is kinda a storybook place, a weird little tower stuck in southeast PA for no reason I can see. It's just THERE.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 9, 2010

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound

Instrumedley posted:

I tried shooting in this exact location last year and was able to capture this (which focused correctly!):

Love this! So moody

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

D300 17-50 @ 45 seconds. Las Vegas Blvd about 11PM

I need to experiment with how to secure my tripod better in a moving car.

Musket fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 9, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Musket posted:

Still looks really good, I like the idea. If only you could've held to one speed the entire time, so the speedometer needle isn't blurred.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I saw a sweet picture somewhere of a guy who secured a tripod on the top of his car and did a long exposure while driving through a city. He also had a single flash inside the car so you could see the cab through the sun roof.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Four's a Conjunction!

Well, OK, technically it's two for a conjunction, any more is a massing...

Venus, Saturn, Mercury and Mars (and a few stars) put on a little light show as part of the conjunction of August 8th, 2010.

Venus is the brightest planet in the overall picture. Saturn is just to the right of Venus, and Mars is the bright planet above Venus. This trio forms a triangle. Finally, Mercury can be found as the brightest planet just above the brightest clouds.

Shot half-way between nautical and astronomical twilight, somewhere between Manar and Braidwood, New South Wales.

Click on the image to view on a black background.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
30s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso3200

H

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You really should go back there with a flashlight or something to paint the building. It looks like an awesome structure but due to lack of light (and angle) it's more of a muddy mess in that picture.

Face of Boe
Aug 8, 2010

Goodbye Blue Monday
Had a bonfire a couple weekends ago. I got some really fun shots with them.
You can see part of what was left of our Christmas tree that was found in the woods and used as kindling.

Perfect embers for toasting marshmallows.

Face of Boe
Aug 8, 2010

Goodbye Blue Monday

Musket posted:

This is a great idea. I can't wait to see how it will look with a secure tripod. Once you figure it out, you must share. I would love to play around with something like this.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

thefreshmaker posted:

I'm new to this and I'm not sure how I feel about these one. Feedback is welcome.

I think this is really neat, but what is that white haze on the skyline to the left? It takes away from what is otherwise a very crisp picture.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Musket posted:

You've convinced me to try this someday. This is awesome.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I just picked up an ML-L3 remote shutter release! I can't wait to take shots longer than 30s. No for some sort of timer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Musket posted:

Oh hey, I did something similar to this last year: