Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Took this one this evening. I've only got the vaguest idea of what the hell I'm doing and light polution is lousy around here. I need to try some night shots with my drone.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taken with a DJI Mavic Air 2. The hardest part about this shot was the fact that the church is lit from the side, which makes for nice, easy, relatively fast shutter speed photos. The hard part of that is the light attracts a shitload of bugs, which in turn attract a shitload of bats.

Once I got it up in the air and cleared the power lines and trees, the bats were my only worry. Thankfully, I think the droning buzzing sound might have deterred them a bit but I didn’t have any bat strikes either way

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Venus Rising by Josh, on Flickr

Black Mountain Moonset by Josh, on Flickr

Glacier Peak Moonset by Josh, on Flickr

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Nice one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Decently happy with this one, though I think I need to get my hands on something with a lower F than 4.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

f4 is workable for stars and the milky way but if you want anything dimmer (meteors, galaxies, whatever) there's no such thing as too much aperture.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DJI Mavic Air 2

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Love this. Is this stacked? And do you really have an f1.0 at that focal length?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
NO OUTLET

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Love this. Is this stacked? And do you really have an f1.0 at that focal length?

Thanks! Lens is a Samyang 12mm F2, Fuji doesn't know what to do with it and I'm not sure how to edit the Exif. Not stacked, despite my efforts, just generous NR in Lightroom. I might give another try but this was shot in howling wind and the trees were moving a bit so it's a bit outside my skills to stack at the moment. When I have more time I might try again in Photoshop, because I do love the light gradient coming from the center and have a few exposures.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The arc/crispness of the treeline is pretty neat too. I'd probably trim off the bottom though, not sure if the reflection should go all the way to the edge but you don't need that much black down there. But everyone gets to do whatever the gently caress they want with their pictures so don't read too much in to it.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

xzzy posted:

The arc/crispness of the treeline is pretty neat too. I'd probably trim off the bottom though, not sure if the reflection should go all the way to the edge but you don't need that much black down there. But everyone gets to do whatever the gently caress they want with their pictures so don't read too much in to it.

I appreciate the feedback, toying around with it just now it feels like a stronger composition cropped down. I'd repost, but I nuked my edits somehow trying to do a stack, and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell I did with the stars the first go-round. I need to get better with my workflow and virtual copies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Got a star tracker and tested it in the backyard last night. Only got off 10 frames between cloud cover to test but I'm excited for clear skies friday night on the new moon to get an hour + exposure time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat! What tracker did you go with?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

skywatcher adventurer pro pack for the counterweight and brackets to make everything easy.

kinda sketchy setting it up because if any of the 10+ thumbscrews are loose there goes my d750 + 70-200 2.8 :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been meaning to get one of those for a while, the last time the moon didn't interfere with the Perseids I had this brilliant idea of setting up a shot and compositing the meteors radiating out from my subject, but the chore of manually aligning everything broke my will to live. So for next summer when the moon again plays nice I want to try it with a tracker.. theory being having the stars already aligned means I only have to composite in my foreground frame which is a lot less work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tight crop because of light pollution but here's the northern sky tonight

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pleiades

Only had 15 minutes of exposure time on this but I look forward to getting an hour or two now that I have the mount dialed in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Still just getting the tracker dialed and shooting what I can in the backyard before taking it out to dark skies. Here's a peak of Orion and some dumb satellites

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth trying to get the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction? My longest setup would be 600mm on APS-C. Not expecting amazing but wondering if they will be recognizable and in the same frame.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Is it worth trying to get the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction? My longest setup would be 600mm on APS-C. Not expecting amazing but wondering if they will be recognizable and in the same frame.

It will be recognizable but you're going to want to go take some shots of jupiter in advance to figure out the exposure

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a real good idea, thanks!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jupiter and Saturn on Flickr

This probably met my expectations given my camera setup. If we have clear skies I may try again when Jupiter and Saturn are closer together. Trying to image with my birding scope was a complete disaster. I dug out an old EF adapter that just sits on the scope eyepiece but it didn't show anything. And my attempts to hand-hold a phone pic through the scope were worse than this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely a cool thing to go outside after sunset to see, but I'm struggling to come up with a reason to point my camera at it. My gear isn't good enough to do it better than a dedicated astronomer is going to produce, and I can't think of a way to do anything creative with two points of light in the sky.

Like I have a wide angle snapshot of the 2017 eclipse that I really like from a sentimental perspective even though the eclipsed sun is just a small dot, but it shows the scene where my wife and I were viewing it. It's a bad photo, but it's got value to me. I can't imagine doing the same thing with this event.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s not that impressive photographically, but it seemed like a good excuse to screw around with my new camera. Neat to be able to see the planets through a scope though.

WrongThreadFred
Dec 19, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
e: oops, wrong thread

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

better shot at the Pleiades but still getting a lot of gradient from light pollution.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A shot from the eta Aquarids meteor shower from early May.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any northern Minnesota experts in here? I'm working to find a place around BWCA to shoot the Perseids this year as the moon phase is going to be favorable. But it's hard finding some foreground interest.. the whole region is extremely dense forests. Some of the burn scars seem promising but it's been 10+ years since the fires so the undergrowth is going to be super thick.

I think my best options so far are various rock outcrops that can be hiked to along the gunflint trail. I plan to head up a couple days before the 11th so I have time to do some on-site scouting. But a hot tip on a prime shooting spot would be pretty sweet too.

Places I've come up with so far:

The basic requirements are a clear view to the N/NE with some kind of interesting subject in the foreground like a twisty tree or a rock formation. The more interesting the silhouette the better.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
P7045741_a by Dan Packer, on Flickr

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
^ cool!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Aarhus

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
DSC_8664

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_9243.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9237.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 4, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quick ipad edit of what I shot tonight of the Orion Nebula. 200mm with about 8 minutes of exposure time. Excited to work on this more for real.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here’s the final version using full photoshop. iPad editing is like 90% there but frustratingly hampered for no reason.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Bottom Liner posted:

Here’s the final version using full photoshop. iPad editing is like 90% there but frustratingly hampered for no reason.

This is awesome! You should come post it in the Amateur Astronomy thread!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So I was testing out the iphones 30s exposure and pointed it at a random part of the sky, by pure luck something entered the atmosphere and burned up I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Looks like a satellite or ISS. Nice shot from a phone!