Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Musket posted:

I need to experiment with how to secure my tripod better in a moving car.
If your car's headrests are easily removable, get a 4 foot piece of flat bar stock steel and drill it to slip over the headrest posts, hold it to the bottom in place with rod clamps. Drill a 3/8" hole in the middle, put a 3/8" bolt through it and really crank it down, mount your camera to that with a wing nut to secure it. You now have a car mount photo/video rig for under $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

If your car's headrests are easily removable, get a 4 foot piece of flat bar stock steel and drill it to slip over the headrest posts, hold it to the bottom in place with rod clamps. Drill a 3/8" hole in the middle, put a 3/8" bolt through it and really crank it down, mount your camera to that with a wing nut to secure it. You now have a car mount photo/video rig for under $30.

Or I can just tell my wife in the passenger seat to "hold this tripod real tight for 30 seconds and DON'T loving MOVE"

But seriously, to Musket, how many shots did you lose due to things like potholes, dips, and just random bumps before you got one 30 second smooth shot. It seems like in that amount of time so much could happen, unless you were stuck in traffic and moving at like 15 mph.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

The Wormy Guy posted:

Or I can just tell my wife in the passenger seat to "hold this tripod real tight for 30 seconds and DON'T loving MOVE"

But seriously, to Musket, how many shots did you lose due to things like potholes, dips, and just random bumps before you got one 30 second smooth shot. It seems like in that amount of time so much could happen, unless you were stuck in traffic and moving at like 15 mph.

I shot 20 frames, 2 came out. Potholes were not the issue on Las Vegas Blvd, it was the rear end in a top hat drivers that caused a lot of the issues. Ill post some of the bad ones when I get home.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Ohhhhh...you're a bad person, you've given me yet another reason to drive like a maniac

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I love taking photos at night, but I don't know anything about camera settings and I have a stock lens, so most of my shots are luck or just fiddling with the settings. I have larger of most if anyone wants them:

And this is the moon and Venus. I had to take a long exposure and then airbrush out the trails:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

the posted:

This is cool. Would make a great album cover for a certain musical genre.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The meteors didn't want their pictures taken. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

The meteors didn't want their pictures taken. :(
Next time use an intervalometer, and set it up so you end up with your shutter open all the time. Voila! Can't miss a thing anymore.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Saw a few Perseids between bouts of lightning and ... more lightning.

Andromeda is in there, too.

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I think this is really neat, but what is that white haze on the skyline to the left? It takes away from what is otherwise a very crisp picture.

Fog rolling in off the harbor.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Eventually I'm going to go somewhere I can get this shot without the light pollution on the horizon.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 15, 2010

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, without live view, forget what I said. Using manual focus through the viewfinder may be your only option, but it's not going to work very well.
When I know I'm going to do night sky photography, I'm going to focus the lens properly during day time and pray I don't accidentally hit the focus ring. Because I don't have live view either on my EOS 400D. (--edit: Apparently I can focus my Sigma f1.4 a little further than infinity?)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 15, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

When I know I'm going to do night sky photography, I'm going to focus the lens properly during day time and pray I don't accidentally hit the focus ring. Because I don't have live view either on my EOS 400D. (--edit: Apparently I can focus my Sigma f1.4 a little further than infinity?)

Yeah, I didn't realize that until I ended up with a card full of blurry shots once. Apparently you can focus past infinity (whatever that is). As you said, your best bet is to actually autofocus on something far away during the day and leave the focus there.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
The Constellation of Scorpius
Click the image to view on a black background.

Target: The Constellation of Scorpius
Date: Saturday, July 18th, 2009
Time: First image: 11:33 PM
Time: Last image: 01:33 AM
Camera: Canon EOS-40D (modified: Baader UV/IR filter)
Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM (stopped down to f/5.6)
Focal length: 24mm
Mount: Losmandy G-11 (Gemini)
Guiding: Meade DSI-C through Orion ED80
Exposure: 20 x 300 seconds (1 hour 40 minutes) @ ISO-400 (RAW)
Software: IRIS: Calibration, registration, stacking, stretching, gradient removal; Adobe Photoshop CS3: post-processing and framing

H

Painless
Jan 9, 2005

Turn ons: frogs, small mammals, piles of compost
Turn offs: large birds, pitchforks
See you at the beach!
^^ that's awesome

Finally got this, after two consecutive nights of clouds sneaking up on me while I set up my tripod.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Here's one I took last night.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Taken with a Digital Rebel XT with a 51 second exposure.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Eventually I'm going to go somewhere I can get this shot without the light pollution on the horizon.

I actually like the light pollution in this shot, it looks almost as if the Milky Way was painted onto the sky. It's photos like these that remind us of what's up there.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Brainwrong posted:

Here's one I took last night.

Good thing the cottage is only partially in the shot or else Kinkade would sue you! ;)

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Im never going to get quality exposure shots with a Canon G9 am I? Everything will always be too noisy is what it seems.

I really need a Digital SLR.

2.8 / ISO 3200
25 Seconds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Frag Viper posted:

Everything will always be too noisy is what it seems.
2.8 / ISO 3200
25 Seconds

Well there's your problem.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Frag Viper posted:

Im never going to get quality exposure shots with a Canon G9 am I? Everything will always be too noisy is what it seems.

I really need a Digital SLR.

2.8 / ISO 3200
25 Seconds

I'm not familiar with the camera, but the focus seems off. Also, the star trails look like a longer exposure than 25 seconds.

At f/2.8, you should be able to drop it to ISO 1600 and still get a decent shot.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm not familiar with the camera, but the focus seems off. Also, the star trails look like a longer exposure than 25 seconds.

At f/2.8, you should be able to drop it to ISO 1600 and still get a decent shot.

I was trying to base the settings off this website.
http://www.danheller.com/images/FAQ/Tech/Stars/img4.html#img8

I just don't think my camera was intended to take long exposure shots

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Frag Viper posted:

I was trying to base the settings off this website.
http://www.danheller.com/images/FAQ/Tech/Stars/img4.html#img8

I just don't think my camera was intended to take long exposure shots
My canon SD600 from a million years ago had a night time exposure feature, I can't image a G9 doesn't. Stick the camera on a tripod, set it wide open, infinity focus, iso 100-400 (your choice), and let it run for a few minutes. Exposure times for this vary greatly depending on how clear it is out, is there a moon, time of year, but at the same time they are pretty forgiving as the difference between a 5min exposure and a 10min exposure is only 1 stop.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Shot of a clock in my old campus' courtyard. Believe it or not, the only photoshop work was cropping. To get this I just zoomed my telephoto lens in and out. 8 second exposure at f7.1 if I remember it correctly.

Panoramic shot of a car driving by, you can see where the car backed up to get into position for the second shot and broke the continuity of the trail.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Backyard picture. The lights and rocks looked really mysterious, but somehow I can not quite bring that out in the picture. Any suggestions ?

ETA: Thanks for the positive responses. I'll file the picture under "good enough" for now :)

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 19, 2010

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think that looks cool. Actually, on the first moment, I thought the lights and rocks were submerged in water.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Musket posted:

D300 17-50 @ 45 seconds. Las Vegas Blvd about 11PM

I did some stop-motion/time-lapse like this a couple years ago. My friend put together a "tripod" out of some steel (with holes in it that were fit for suction cups and able to screw into the tripod mount) that I stuck to the window. It wasn't pretty, but did the job. The steel was malleable enough to position so you could see the hood of the car or not, etc.

DESTROY ALL GOATS
Aug 13, 2009

Cross_ posted:

Backyard picture. The lights and rocks looked really mysterious, but somehow I can not quite bring that out in the picture. Any suggestions ?

I haven't seen the actual rocks, but these look pretty mysterious and spooky. I also thought they were underwater at first glance

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
In regards to the mounting suggestions, does anyone have any drawn up plans? I got a friend who does metal work, and it would be easier just to hand him some plans or a crude drawing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Musket posted:

D300 17-50 @ 45 seconds. Las Vegas Blvd about 11PM

spf3million posted:

I saw a sweet picture somewhere of a guy who secured a tripod on the top of his car and did a long exposure while driving through a city. He also had a single flash inside the car so you could see the cab through the sun roof.

Face of Boe posted:

This is a great idea. I can't wait to see how it will look with a secure tripod. Once you figure it out, you must share. I would love to play around with something like this.

GWBBQ posted:

Musket posted:

In regards to the mounting suggestions, does anyone have any drawn up plans? I got a friend who does metal work, and it would be easier just to hand him some plans or a crude drawing.

What you guys want is a Bogen Super Clamp + Magic Arm. They're commonly used for this type of shot: Samples on Flickr

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What you guys want is a Bogen Super Clamp + Magic Arm. They're commonly used for this type of shot: Samples on Flickr
That reminds me, I have one of these and it kicks rear end. Just make sure you clean the surface you're mounting it on first and tie a safety line if it's outside the car.

The magic arm is great, but kind of expensive for something I'm not going to use often.

also, another magic arm plus super clamp shot

By Jeffrey Liu
http://www.jeffreyliuphotography.com/

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The cool thing about super clamps is that you can stick them practically everywhere, and you can put lights on them too.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Just as a heads up for anyone looking to do a shot like that, I'm selling a Manfrotto Magic Arm and super clamp here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=18#post381306721

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
First time trying to shoot a fireworks show last night. Not 100% happy with the results but felt it was a good try for my first time doing it. Here's a sample of the night.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z
Jun 25, 2002

~9 minute exposure, an hour after sunset.

I don't like the bottom of this all that much, and I'm not sure if the car going by adds or detracts from it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I think the lights and the brush illuminated by the headlights balance the horizon nicely instead of just having dead space in the shadows down there.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I think the lights and the brush illuminated by the headlights balance the horizon nicely instead of just having dead space in the shadows down there.

I agree. A happy mistake.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

go look at some cool Mars shots

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm, I need both more ISO as well as less light pollution. Was testing my new 18-50mm f2.8, I can make out the Milkyway, but I can't get decent results.

--edit:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

How would I even start getting a picture like this? (or is this way more editing?)

Click here for the full 580x871 image.

I took this photo this weekend, 30sec I think, in a not populated/dark place and its the best Ive been able to do in bringing out the milky way..some photoshop editing