Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

8 seconds, manually exposed, timed it with a cellphone as a timer

This is really nice, I love the glow on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Helmacron posted:

That is sweet. That is so loving sweet. I am now trying to work out how to do that with a panorama.

Edit: I don't know what a perseid meteor shower looks like, so I can't quite work out a couple things. Can you tell me the ISO and F/stop and camera used for your pictures, Leviathor? If you don't mind!

Edit 2: This is the greatest thing I've ever done. I'm going to be on tenderhooks until I can print it out. I'm going to go buy an A1 portfolio solely because of this diptych.

Everytime I see your images I think: that guy would go nuts with a Gigapan.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Timage posted:

I love night time photography but I'm only just starting out. All shot with Sony A550.

The following was shot at 1600 ISO.

The following was shot out of a plane during a storm, again with a 1600 ISO.

The following three were shot by 'painting' the subject with a torch.

Any comments/critiques would be appreciated. Also the A550 handles high ISO shooting amazingly.

Sorry, I'm feeling a little too hungover delicate to leave anything much helpful, but these are great (especially for just starting out), keep up the good work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Musket posted:

D300 17-50 @ 45 seconds. Las Vegas Blvd about 11PM

I need to experiment with how to secure my tripod better in a moving car.

spf3million posted:

I saw a sweet picture somewhere of a guy who secured a tripod on the top of his car and did a long exposure while driving through a city. He also had a single flash inside the car so you could see the cab through the sun roof.

Face of Boe posted:

This is a great idea. I can't wait to see how it will look with a secure tripod. Once you figure it out, you must share. I would love to play around with something like this.

GWBBQ posted:

If your car's headrests are easily removable, get a 4 foot piece of flat bar stock steel and drill it to slip over the headrest posts, hold it to the bottom in place with rod clamps. Drill a 3/8" hole in the middle, put a 3/8" bolt through it and really crank it down, mount your camera to that with a wing nut to secure it. You now have a car mount photo/video rig for under $30.

Musket posted:

In regards to the mounting suggestions, does anyone have any drawn up plans? I got a friend who does metal work, and it would be easier just to hand him some plans or a crude drawing.

What you guys want is a Bogen Super Clamp + Magic Arm. They're commonly used for this type of shot: Samples on Flickr