Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's some fantastic stuff in this thread. Favorited a bunch over on Flickr.

Here's some Vegas. For a while, the city center construction looked like the friggin' Borg.

I was up in NYC for the reopening of the Intrepid museum:

Yet another Philly building:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

octane2 posted:

Click the image to view a 50% resolution version.

Captured over 6 nights, totaling 10.5 hours of exposure.

Luminance: 187.5 minutes
Hydrogen alpha: 160 minutes
Red, Green and Blue: 93.75 minutes each

Hydrogen alpha blended into luminance at 64% opacity.

Target: The Eta Carinae Nebula (NGC 3372) in Carina
Date(s): 8th, 9th, 16th, 29th, 30th and 31st January, 2011
Detector: SBIG STL-11000M at -20 degrees Celsius
Telescope: Takahashi FSQ-106N
Focal length: 530mm
Mount: Losmandy G-11 (Gemini)
Guiding: Self guiding through SBIG STL-11000M
Exposure: Hα+LRGB (160 187.5 93.75 93.75 93.75); total: 10.5 hours
Exposure: Hα and L bin 1x1, RGB bin 2x2
Software: MaxIm DL 5: Image capture, and autoguiding, calibration, registration, stacking, stretching; PinPoint LE: Plate solving; Adobe Photoshop CS4: post-processing and framing

Can you tell us what this stuff *means*? You're chilling your CCD to -20? With what? What does 'self guiding through SBIG STL-11000M' mean?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

What did you use to negate the bow effect?

Lightroom and Photoshop both can correct for lens distortion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

With a wide enough focal length, you can go 30 seconds without star trails.

The formula I keep seeing is something like 600/focal length = maximum exposure in seconds if you don't want trails.

A question I have is, is that actual focal length, or effective focal length if you're using a DSLR with a smaller sensor?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does anyone have any advice for shooting lightning?

Storm blew through last night and I set up on the porch, just to get some practice in. After fiddling with settings to get an exposure I could live with, I pointed the camera at a section of sky, and took some pictures.

First problem is bolts always seemed to hit just out of frame.. so I'd turn the camera, and the next bolt would be where the camera used to be pointed. So at that point I put on my widest lens and held the trigger down on my remote.

Is that what most people end up doing? Sit around hoping something neat happens while the shutter is open?

My second problem is it seemed liked bolts always hit in that instant between exposures, proving that nature hates me. I guess the only solution for that would be two cameras with staggered timers.

Well, you could buy a lightning trigger:

http://www.aeophoto.com/

Or build your own:

http://zedomax.com/blog/2011/03/29/dslr-hack-how-to-make-a-diy-lightning-detection-trigger/

Or if you've got a Canon that CHDK runs on, I think you can just use a motion-detector script to trigger on lightning.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 25, 2011

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

HookShot posted:

Paris la Nuit by hookshot88, on Flickr

:smug:

Don't let the SETE see those. I don't know how serious they are about asserting their copyright claims on night images of the Eiffel tower, but they sure are a bunch of assholes.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 25, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's a France only thing as far as I know. The rest of the world rightfully gives these guys the middle finger for being dumbheads.

Well, the US has pretty much the same thing with that giant mirror-bean in Chicago. They changed the policy a while back, so now you only need a permit if you're shooting it for a movie or big production, but for a while there if you tried to take photos of it without a permit the city of Chicago would have a fit, at least if you were a professional photographer. It's a sculpture, so it's not treated the same under copyright law as if it were a building.

One from Kentucky:

And a few from the night the Phils won the series a few years back (and for the last time in what will probably be a very long while):

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 26, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Just me and her and a Casio by Phanatic, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kommando posted:

The lack of twinking lights... Polariser?

I think so, just a cheap CP.