Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Enndr posted:

Just started taking pictures this week and wanted to get some night shots for practice. I'll start with these. Oh and I bought a Nikon D60.

I put links to the bigger versions below each one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3932884123/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3932879505/sizes/l/

Are you standing in Mt. Adams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TiberiusM posted:

The shot of Great American Ballpark looks like its from the KY side of the river

True, but the shot of the big mac bridge doesn't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Enndr posted:

Great American was taken from KY. I setup the tripod on the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

The shot of the "Big Mac" Bridge was taken from a small strip park in Mt. Adams.

I need to upgrade my Flickr account. I just got finished up with about 10 more shots from around the city. I'm starting to see actual progression is stuff Im taking and post-processing now, which is pretty cool.

Haha, I always like walking on the Roebling since the whole damned thing shakes when one of the buses rolls over. Cool pictures, though; I think Cincinnati is very pretty at night.

I added you on Flickr, fyi. Cool to see someone local taking pics.

edit: I never knew there was a flag on there. The second one is the best shot I think.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 27, 2009

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Enndr posted:

Im looking at yours then mine.... Im still new to this but I think I'm over exposing my stuff a tad... At least my older ones. Would you say thats a good call?

I mean its not like Im using high end equipment.. I shot the first set with a
Nikon D60 /w an 16-55mm VR kit lens. The stuff I just put up was with the 55-200 VR which from the charts I've looked at has a far better picture quality. At least in the 55-105mm range.

I see your water is more frozen than mine which looks like your shutter was open alot less time than mine. Are you using a fast lens and a camera that can handle higher ISO w/o artifacts?

I can't remember what settings that was at, but I took that shot using my old Sony DSC-R1 point and shoot (it had a fantastic lens though). Yeah, it wasn't a very long exposure, less than yours. It depends on what the effect is that you're looking for; the lights are a little bright, which makes any of the signs (like the USBank lights) hard to read. I'm no expert either, haha.

At the moment I use a Pentax K2000/K-m, and just traded my old Sony to a coworker for a Sigma 24-70/f2.8. I don't own a tripod at the moment, so I can't do any long exposures easily. It might be my next purchase, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jekub posted:

Bit of a cross post from the amateur astronomy thread in DIY & Hobbies, but I figure some people over here may be interested as well. I spend my spare time and clear nights armed with telescopes and camera doing long exposure astrophotography, I'm very much a beginner at this point, but here is my latest effort, the andromeda galaxy.

Click here for the full 1600x995 image.

And a moon shot from a few months back.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

I've got a lot to learn yet, but it's been good to get results.

Holy poo poo dude, that shot of the galaxy is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah, those are the ramparts of la Cité Médiéval of Carcassonne.

Ah, I loved Carcassone.