Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I saw a sweet picture somewhere of a guy who secured a tripod on the top of his car and did a long exposure while driving through a city. He also had a single flash inside the car so you could see the cab through the sun roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phanatic posted:

Can you tell us what this stuff *means*? You're chilling your CCD to -20? With what? What does 'self guiding through SBIG STL-11000M' mean?
It's all astronomy related "exif". You think photography is nerdy with all of our gear and stats, check out the astronomy thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phanatic posted:

A question I have is, is that actual focal length, or effective focal length if you're using a DSLR with a smaller sensor?
Yes, you have to use the effective FL for the same reason you have to use the effective FL when using the hand-held rule of 1/FL.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rockybar posted:

Also my first Dorkroom post :3:
Welcome! The colors in your first pic are quite nice. I think I'd like the third one if the clouds weren't allowed to blur and whatever is in the very bottom right were cleaned up/removed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rockybar posted:

I was thinking of cropping out the tree in the middle
The little bit of tree is what makes it interesting. Just enough to be unusual.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Auditore posted:

You should try going back and going closer on the right hand third of the frame. Some thing interesting should be able to eventuate with all those pipes and framing.

EDIT: Something like this is what I'm getting at:

Out of curiosity, what is this a picture of? As in, what kind of tank farm?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are you using a UV filter? You've got a lot of haze on these and UV filters make it worse. It could just be hazy out as well. You could also try stopping down some more, that should give you more defined edges around the highlights. Nice shots though! I love going to HK.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Your peak view is awesome. I've been up there twice, the best I could come up with was

Looking forward to more.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think you mean a quick and awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phanatic posted:

This is really cool.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone have a handy reference for the right ISO/aperture to use for a given exposure length and moon fullness? I'd hate to sit around waiting for a 3 hour exposure of awesome star trails only to find out that it overexposed by 4 stops or something.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Startrails-185 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Axel Serenity posted in another thread posted:

I do enjoy this one quite a bit. Although I do have to admit the first thing I thought of was the now-defunct I'm tired of teal and orange thread in CD.
Teal and orange, it's everywhere!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Save the clock tower!

Very cool shots. How did you not get soaked?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dalax posted:

Those Fireflies..
Dammit, I've had a similar stacked firefly image in my mental to-do list for months. Oh well, I guess I'd be naive if I thought it was a completely original idea.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Revolucion posted:

Everything on this page is frigging fantastic.

Right back at ya

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Check this thread over in DIY.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think this is all you need to know about star trails.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

xzzy posted:

drat, if google had pulled that link up I would have just pasted that instead of typing a bunch of words.
Yeah I spent a ton of time looking around for tips and such. Finally stumbled on that site and was pleasantly surprised by all the great info.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This is bad rear end. Props for braving the elements

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

R0001700 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

JMT Star Trails 2.3 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

Amazing photos, guys.

Can either of you guys give me some hints? Like, how long did you do for both of them? You're stacking, right? Do either of you have an intervalometer? If 3 hours plus, how are you getting all the battery power?

Also, like, favourite aperture, ISO, WB, would be cool to know. I'm rocking out on WB 4000.
Mine were all at f/4, 30 seconds, 3200 ISO, 18.3mm on an APS-C sensor (28mm equivalent). They were taken with a Ricoh GR which has a built in intervelometer (awesome). It was a full battery and lasted almost exactly 3 hours. White balance was on auto I believe. I use the free stacking software downloaded at startrails.de and it's pretty easy. Here's a good link for everything you need to consider when taking star trails.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

El Jeffe posted:

OK, good to know about the 500 rule. But say I do want star trails: I set aperture to f5.6 and ISO to 200 (just made those up); how do I know how long to keep the shutter open to get the right exposure? Just trial and error?

Check this out, lots of great applicable info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DorianGravy posted:

How do you keep everything in focus at f/4.0?
The DOF at 16mm is pretty wide even at F/4