Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enndr
Jan 23, 2008
All Balls. No Skill.
Just started taking pictures this week and wanted to get some night shots for practice. I'll start with these. Oh and I bought a Nikon D60.

I put links to the bigger versions below each one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3932892241/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3933670180/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3932884123/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enndr/3932879505/sizes/l/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enndr
Jan 23, 2008
All Balls. No Skill.

mediaphage posted:

Are you standing in Mt. Adams?

Great American was taken from KY. I setup the tripod on the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

The shot of the "Big Mac" Bridge was taken from a small strip park in Mt. Adams.

I need to upgrade my Flickr account. I just got finished up with about 10 more shots from around the city. I'm starting to see actual progression in stuff Im taking and post-processing now, which is pretty cool. These are all also done with the new lens I got.
(55-200mm DX AF-S Nikon VS, I know. Nothing special.)

I took a few more this morning. These were all done with the mono-pod I just bought. I forgot that I took my tripod out of my trunk the night prior.
There was REALLY bad fog so Im not sure if these will look that great to everyone. The last one was shot totally free hand.

Click here for the full 1452x972 image.

Click here for the full 651x972 image.

Click here for the full 1452x972 image.

Click here for the full 651x972 image.

Enndr fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 27, 2009

Enndr
Jan 23, 2008
All Balls. No Skill.

mediaphage posted:

Haha, I always like walking on the Roebling since the whole damned thing shakes when one of the buses rolls over. Cool pictures, though; I think Cincinnati is very pretty at night.

I added you on Flickr, fyi. Cool to see someone local taking pics.

edit: I never knew there was a flag on there. The second one is the best shot I think.

Im looking at yours then mine.... Im still new to this but I think I'm over exposing my stuff a tad... At least my older ones. Would you say thats a good call?

I mean its not like Im using high end equipment.. I shot the first set with a
Nikon D60 /w an 16-55mm VR kit lens. The stuff I just put up was with the 55-200 VR which from the charts I've looked at has a far better picture quality. At least in the 55-105mm range.

I see your water is more frozen than mine which looks like your shutter was open alot less time than mine. Are you using a fast lens and a camera that can handle higher ISO w/o artifacts?

Enndr
Jan 23, 2008
All Balls. No Skill.

quazi posted:

The juxtaposition of warm/cool makes this one the most successful for me. The composition, contrast, and texture are icing. The only thing keeping me from recommending you print a zillion copies is that it isn't quite as sharp as it could be. (The monopod may have something to do with this.)

But heck, print it anyway!

That one is one of my favorites too. I think a good deal of my problem is that I was shooting in 400 ISO.. Maybe it was one notch higher. I did it because I was shooting without a tripod so I needed to get more light somehow without further shutter adjustments.

Because of that they turned out with a little less detail and a little more grainy than I wanted them to. (The D60 doesn't handle higher ISOs that great)

I'll go back on another morning before dawn when there is fog again and shoot this with a tripod while using 100 ISO. That should help some of these issues. I hope.