Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

D300 17-50 @ 45 seconds. Las Vegas Blvd about 11PM

I need to experiment with how to secure my tripod better in a moving car.

Musket fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

The Wormy Guy posted:

Or I can just tell my wife in the passenger seat to "hold this tripod real tight for 30 seconds and DON'T loving MOVE"

But seriously, to Musket, how many shots did you lose due to things like potholes, dips, and just random bumps before you got one 30 second smooth shot. It seems like in that amount of time so much could happen, unless you were stuck in traffic and moving at like 15 mph.

I shot 20 frames, 2 came out. Potholes were not the issue on Las Vegas Blvd, it was the rear end in a top hat drivers that caused a lot of the issues. Ill post some of the bad ones when I get home.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
In regards to the mounting suggestions, does anyone have any drawn up plans? I got a friend who does metal work, and it would be easier just to hand him some plans or a crude drawing.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

javi posted:

I've been trying out different things with long exposures, and their really fun to do! Here's a few of the tests I've done.

I keep getting these "flares", I believe they are caused by the street lights. Is there any way to avoid them?

Only real way to avoid them is to adjust your composition angles. Sometimes a lens is more prone to flares than others.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Brought the camera into work today.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Why shouldnt you use a CRT to edit photos? They usually are spot on color wise.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

I'm not sure what happened there. I edited them on a CRT then posted them. I later checked on my laptop and saw how terribly they came out. Luckily I still have the RAWs.

Your TFT laptop screen unless its been calibrated, is probably the culprit here.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

So wait you are saying my laptop is what is producing crappy images? Are the photos I posted not crappy (They look that way to me)?

Look into Calibrating your laptop, and CRT monitor.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I've been messing around a lot with the settings. Some of the settings that produced pretty decent images for me were:
8 seconds, f 32, and ISO 640
0.8 seconds, f 6.3, and ISO 320
30 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
10 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
3 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
30 seconds, f 14, and ISO 100

etc. As you can probably guess, I've just been doing a lot of tinkering with the settings to see what works and what doesn't.

Tripod in use and VR on. I know I'm probably just missing something so simple that's causing the pictures to be a little blurry. Although it may just be my lens.

Turn off VR, on tripods, dont shoot F/32 for diffraction reasons. Thats why your images are soft.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Fuju X100, 15seconds f/16 iso 200 ND filter on.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Holy shitballs Batman, this thread is awesome!

I love this frame, and the Ferris Wheel. Makes me want to go shoot a carnival. Did you bracket this exposure by chance? If not did you at least shoot in RAW? You should totally check out Trey Ratcliff's HDR tutorial. The clouds in this image would look epic if they were rendered in HDR or given a little more contrast somehow. Trey shows you how to accomplish this by using all of your bracketed photos or by creating over and underexposed photos out of a single RAW image in PS. Another option would be Magic Bullet Photolooks, I've had some good results there, best way I can think of shy of PS alchemy.

Was shot Jpeg. Not a shot id use for HDR imo.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Yeah, perhaps I'm a little pedestrian, I just think that the clouds would be awesome in HDR for some reason. I just like seeing light where there shouldn't be any and this image struck me as ideal for HDR. You should try sticking it in photomatix and seeing what comes out just for shits.

I do plenty of HDR, its just not a shot that would work well.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Yeah you're right. In that case I like it. =)

Also would like to see your HDR stuff if you have a link.

(heavy vignetting as its edited for canvas with thick border and wrap)

small sampling. moving my stuff around right now so things are kinda all over.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

phootnote posted:

Do you guys use the viewfinder or live view for focusing? I was practicing some the other night, and focusing was the hardest part for me. The viewfinder was dark, and the live view was just not that good. What are some techniques do you use? I am using a Rebel XSI.

Split Prism and Manual focus is how i do it. Unless the scene is completely dark my AF has few issues. Some consumer grade cameras will have AF hunting issues in really dark situations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

CurlyFries posted:

Not much for a Jew to do on Christmas Eve besides shoot photos...

Hope you got some good chinese food while you were out :jewish:

I like your first shot here, its really nice.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nugzseeker 2 posted:

I'm curious if anyone here uses a Fuji x100, what aperture you find best for sharp night shots? I know in general F4 is meant to give the best performance, but I don't know if that changes when shooting at night.

It would be great if F4 does give the best quality, since I can likely avoid bulb mode in that case.

The x100 is sharp at all aperture settings. Ive had no issues with IQ at f/2 iso3200 handheld at night. So you can go down further if you really needed to.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Posting Day light long exposures in here are ok? Ive been stacking multiple NDs to get various times as long as 2 mins.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Admiral posted:

Technically these aren't night time long exposures, but they ARE long exposures.
(Click for larger)

And here's the setup...

Canon 5D MkIII, 17-40 f/4, and a $5 piece of welding mask glass blu-tac'ed onto the filter.

This was my first outing with the welders glass, at some markets down the street from me. I'm looking forward to getting in to the Sydney CBD to get some shots I've wanted to try for ages.

How much time are you finding yourself with, using this set up? Currently the most I can squeeze out of a cokin P filter ND set is about 1.5mins by stacking 8stop x2, internal X100 3stop on overcast days. Sunny days im limited to about 45-60sec.

_DSF2694-Edit.jpg by Ashade76

8stop+3stop+3stop internal ND, f/16 37seconds about 2pm on a very sunny day.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

I think most set ISO to 800. You don't want it too low or you'll fail to capture dim stars, and if you set it too high, noise creeping in will destroy the dim stars.

Shutter speed is dependent on whether you want star trails or not. As your focal length increases, the amount of time you can keep the shutter open before trails appears shrinks. The rule of thumb is "1,000 ÷ Focal Length = Maximum Shutter Speed" before trails start to appear. There's wiggle room on this so you should experiment. To capture the milky way you'll probably want ~30-45 seconds to really get it to pop out, which means a wide angle lens.

If you're going for star trails, wide apertures will make bright star trails, narrow ones will be a bit dimmer.

600/focal length for FX/Full Frame. 400/focal length for Nikon or 1.5crop mode sensors, 375/focal length for canon and 1.6 crop mode sensors :science:

With a tammy 17-55 you are lookin at about 23 seconds at ISO 1600 f/2.8 set at 17mm before you see trail movement in stars on a D3200.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

garney posted:

Garden of friendship by any chance? I was there just today!

http://www.lansugarden.org/ Located in Old Town portion of Downtown Portland Oregon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Full sun shots at noon :snoop:

f/22 and be there by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Long Beach, WA. by Ashade76, on Flickr

20 seconds.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

DSCF1107 by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Republic Cafe, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
45seconds, f/22, and being there :toot:

Whitewater - BLM Bridge #3, Mt Hood National Forest by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Good Sam by Ashade76, on Flickr

Embrace The Fire by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shellman posted:

Wow, really like these. Any details on how they were shot? I'm guessing film?

Fuji XE-1 and 18-55mm kitlens on a tripod.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

t-t-t-triple posting

I had a non-windy night, and decent alignment. Just good enough to use a 200mm lens (400mm equivalent with this camera).

This was 12 1 minute frames and a dark frame:

The Pleiades.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

That was about all I was up for though, it was only about 20 degrees outside and my boots just aren't that warm, even with wool socks :ohdear:

Also tried getting andromeda, but I wound up aiming at the wrong place :facepalm: Only realized it after I looked at this pic.

P2260032.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Likin the first one a lot. Given how cold it gets there, get some battery powered heatsocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Cloudy Bloodmoon:

Bloodmoon over NW Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr