Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A couple from our local celebration. First is a little blown out, but otherwise I like it.

edit- second would have been better with a little bit of flash but I didn't want to be a dick.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lunar eclipse. Unfortunately A) Moon was not over the most scenic or convenient part of the landscape B) Really foggy just after totality, so I couldn't get interesting low-angle shots, and C) I suck balls at this.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know this isn't the best startrail ever, but I like it because we're doing field work in the foreground (riding around on ATV's looking for birds).
(single 3 hr exposure)

atv_startrail 062 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty neat idea, and the shots are great.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More Super Moon- worth getting up early for...

Monument_in_moonlight 122 on Flickr

super_moon1_50 108 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

Didn't know there were hoodoos down in Wyoming, also you have this one as private, can't see big version.

whooops- fixed that. This is near Lander (actually within sight of our camp), but the first time I've made it down there for a moonset.

edit- just got a startrail from the same place

monument_startrail 127 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 9, 2012

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it worth trying to get the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction? My longest setup would be 600mm on APS-C. Not expecting amazing but wondering if they will be recognizable and in the same frame.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a real good idea, thanks!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jupiter and Saturn on Flickr

This probably met my expectations given my camera setup. If we have clear skies I may try again when Jupiter and Saturn are closer together. Trying to image with my birding scope was a complete disaster. I dug out an old EF adapter that just sits on the scope eyepiece but it didn't show anything. And my attempts to hand-hold a phone pic through the scope were worse than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s not that impressive photographically, but it seemed like a good excuse to screw around with my new camera. Neat to be able to see the planets through a scope though.