Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Private Label posted:

I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to do these types of shots; I read in another thread about either putting exposures together (I have only 30 sec exposure max) or taking a bulb shot. How do you go about doing it? Whenever I do night shots, I tend to have it get way too bright because of other light pollution... how do you get around that?

You need a shutter release and a tripod for this. Then, you can open the shutter for as long as you want (teh bulb shot), and without touching the camera. If you're worried about light pollution, it's best to stop down to f11 or 16. At least, that's what I did for my first foray into night photos. I blew a lot of film because I had no idea how long to expose, either. So, I just did 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, 15s, 30s, and 1min. Nondo's crazy star blur was probably more like 20 minutes, I think. Anyway, I would recommend such experiments, so you can get a better feel for it.

Generally, though, 30s exposure is plenty. I think most of mine were best at 15s and 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU