Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Left the new camera in poor quality jpg unfourtunately for this one but I plan on heading back out and doing a better exposure and some NR in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I wish I had a faster lens/cable release for these, but w/e. loving milky way. Badlands own people, best part of south dakota.

P7150721.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

milky way test by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150801.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150802.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Using the second one as my iPhone background. Great pics!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cross posting from PAD with the aim to improve my long exposure technique.

Battlecruiser Operational by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

This shot has only been cropped. Should I desaturate the sky? What framing would you guys have used instead? What is your strategy regarding aperture for night sky shots with subjects in the foreground? I think this was shot at f16.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Hopefully the bit of gorilla glue I added to the t-nut make it secure enough that the whole thing won't just fall off the tripod. Otherwise I'll have to redo it with oak or something instead :negative:

fake edit: my phone doesn't give a gently caress about white balance.

Sorry but what the hell is this? I've been looking at it for a couple min and can't fathom what it's for.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So how do you actually have it rotate? I would think you still have to hook it up to something reasonably expensive to control the rotation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Well as it sits I clamp a crescent wrench to the bolt and turn it at the same speed of the minute hand of a watch (assuming i can find my watch). Too cloudy and smokey to see anything right now though.

Very cool - how bout a comparison shot of using it vs not using it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

I wanted to try to do some low light shots around my apartment. I decided to shoot my Soviet rocket light. No matter what settings I used I just could not make it look good.

ISO 100/f18/30s. Pentax K5 with a Tamron 17-50.

It seems like the colors in the lamp got blown out no matter what I did, except if I massively underexposed, which then just made it look really dim. Is this just too high-contrast of a scene?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by blown out, do you mean it streaked all over the place? If you meant that it was too bright when trying to get the rest of the scene a bit more illuminated, try playing with the shadows slider in lightroom, or adding some indirect light to the scene.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finally tried this. Long exposure, dark room, lighter shot. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Lighter by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

E: And something more appropriate for the thread.

Landing by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 20, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a $20 micro-USB cable release that works fantastic with my d7k. Just got it from a local brick and mortar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Did that on this shot. Set everything up to expose for the stars, and than swept a big old 5-cell Mag light across the building for a bit.

Battery Russell at Night by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

I'd love to see this shot with the rooms of that structure lit from inside instead of the outside of it evenly lit. Great shot regardless.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I wanted something like that, but the thing it huge, the rooms don't connect all the way through, and lots of crap to trip over in the dark. There was a smaller bunker near by were I was able to pull something like that off. Set the shutter to a delay, ran inside and ran the flashlight over the ceiling.

adgibson-20150216-IMG_6393 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

Yeah that earlier building looks huge. I like this shot a lot though and basically was what I was thinking about.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finally got a chance to take my new equipment out, if only just outside my apartment.

Moon Sky by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think you're mixing up shutter with aperture. These shots are technically a lot better though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anarkii posted:

Milkyway over Yosemite by Zrave, on Flickr

Would have preferred a more unobstructed view, but from the valley floor it was difficult to find any

Do you really have a 50mm/f1.0 or is the metadata crazy?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is that streak from a satellite?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Only the best camera has it (I've been informed this is the Nikon f3).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexxai posted:

Longview, AB - 13 stacked images @ 24mm (35mm equivalent), f/2.0, ISO 1600, 15 secs

I love the sky in this but the horizon being so off level really bugs me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexxai posted:

Can you show me what you mean? This was shot in the Foothills so there really isn't as much flat land to straighten on as it might seem.

I'm at work for the next 10 hours so I can't take a screenshot but if you look at where the base of the mountains meets the ground and use that as a horizon line I think overall it's 4-5deg CCW rotated. Could just be me but I used the edge of another browser window to line it up and it was off to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Iceland is cold and dark.

NightIceland by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Iceland Silhouette by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Iceland Silhouette by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This av/post combo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Your tripod probably has a little hook underneath in the center column, you're supposed to hang your camera bag or whatever from that to weigh it down. More expensive tripods and ballheads are more stable but you can go a long way with a cheaper one if you crank the ballhead tight and weigh the tripod down.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you using a remote shutter release/the delayed release built into the camera? That would help also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Atlatl posted:

I use the delay, but I think just the fact that it's so windy up here is going to be my limiting factor. Even the weights will catch the wind and start to shake it on some of the shots.

If you live there I guess it's time to buy a tripod to permanently cement into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think he's obnoxious but I like that he exists because he's driving a lot of innovation and enabling a lot of smart people to explore things that make the world a more interesting place to live.