Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

How did you do this? How'd you make it seem like a model? I see this style all the time but can't figure out how to do it and don't know anyone who has.

Its called Tilt Shift: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

I just popped in this thread to say I love night time and low-light photography, and its one of the main reasons I'm buying a DSLR. Hopefully in a few months I can pop back in with some of my own stuff that isnt laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crossposted from SAD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jekub posted:

M106 & NGC4217 in the constellation Canes Venatici. A big stack of 10 minute exposures and lots of swearing about light pollution and camera read noise.

M42, the Orion Nebula from earlier in the year, stack of 5 minute exposures though I'm looking forward to do a better job of this next year.

(fixed links, thanks for the heads up).

What lens/telescope are you using on these?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shot handheld from the 96th floor of the John Hancock in Chicago. Cross-posted from SAD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If someone ran for president on the platform of banning sodium lights in favor of actual white lights, I would vote for them no matter what.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right, but they look like poo poo and I'm angry at that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crossposted from SAD:

I've been on an underexposure kick lately. I think it works especially well with night time shots.

Took these messing around in the mountains of Phoenix.

Phoenix Mountains and city at night by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix at night by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix Night Mountainscape by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix mountains by matt-f, on Flickr

Also one normal night time exposure:

Phoenix parking garage by matt-f, on Flickr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ole_bjorne posted:

Thank you for replies. Will get my tripod soon then. Can I trust his reviews of lenses and cameras?

I wouldnt. Sometimes his views line up with the real world, but mostly they dont.

I still dont know if he's a really dedicated troll, or if he's just that dumb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is this the official/unofficial telescope thread?

If so, I have an Orion 130ST EQ with their EQ-2 mount: https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SpaceProbe-130ST-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/p/9007.uts

I just bought a T-mount for it with a Canon EOS ring on it so I can take pictures. I can already tell from watching a million youtube videos on the subject that the next thing I'll want is some sort of motorized mount to follow the stars/planets/moon. I'm not ready to pony up for a go-to mount yet, but there has to be some sort of affordable kit to add clockspring functionality to a regular mount, right? Its very literally just moving a servo motor or a stepper motor at a known speed.

Any advice in this area?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got a mavic air 2 and was trying out some long exposure night shots when i heard sirens. i pointed the gimbal down just in time to snap an ambulance heading through

its wild how stable the ma2 is that it can take 1 second and longer shots without them turning to a blurry mess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taken with a DJI Mavic Air 2. The hardest part about this shot was the fact that the church is lit from the side, which makes for nice, easy, relatively fast shutter speed photos. The hard part of that is the light attracts a shitload of bugs, which in turn attract a shitload of bats.

Once I got it up in the air and cleared the power lines and trees, the bats were my only worry. Thankfully, I think the droning buzzing sound might have deterred them a bit but I didn’t have any bat strikes either way

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DJI Mavic Air 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat! What tracker did you go with?