Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I'm heading up into the mountains backpacking this week and hoping to get anything close to as nice as those shots. My longest lens at this point is a 55 or 56mm on my Fuji. Is that enough lens to get something discernably comet like, or is it going to look like a meteor streak? This all assuming I'm not socked in under cloud cover two nights in a row.

I won't be heartbroken if I strike out, I'm really hoping to experiment with Milky Way photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

So, took my photo gear up into the hills with me backpacking, and was rewarded by mostly socked in days for the whole trip. However, got a lucky break and had a few hours of clear skies at night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get foreground shots I was looking for to do a composite, but relatively pleased with my first attempt. Stacked in Sequator after lousy results in Photoshop.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Love this. Is this stacked? And do you really have an f1.0 at that focal length?

Thanks! Lens is a Samyang 12mm F2, Fuji doesn't know what to do with it and I'm not sure how to edit the Exif. Not stacked, despite my efforts, just generous NR in Lightroom. I might give another try but this was shot in howling wind and the trees were moving a bit so it's a bit outside my skills to stack at the moment. When I have more time I might try again in Photoshop, because I do love the light gradient coming from the center and have a few exposures.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

xzzy posted:

The arc/crispness of the treeline is pretty neat too. I'd probably trim off the bottom though, not sure if the reflection should go all the way to the edge but you don't need that much black down there. But everyone gets to do whatever the gently caress they want with their pictures so don't read too much in to it.

I appreciate the feedback, toying around with it just now it feels like a stronger composition cropped down. I'd repost, but I nuked my edits somehow trying to do a stack, and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell I did with the stars the first go-round. I need to get better with my workflow and virtual copies.