Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

596 images, 10s exposures. It's sister image (started about a minute after this one) is 597. I will probably post it later, as it actually has a decent Perseid in it, as opposed to the very short-lived ones that are only visible in this one under close inspection at near maximum resolution.

Stacked with a Photoshop action, same as my one from the Tetons last year.

The two streaks in the top left are Iridium flares. There are also two jets visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

For the first: f/4; ISO800.

For the Tetons, I don't remember. I think they were 15s exposures, probably also at f/4 and ISO800.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Here's the "sequel" to the star trails above:

597 10-second exposures. One Perseid on the right side, and a couple satellites on the left.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Instrumedley posted:

It's not possible to take a shot of a city and the Milky Way, is it? That'd look amazing.

It is (not my shot):

From the 2007 Perseid meteor shower. My shot from the same year has some pretty awful light pollution, but no visible city. (2010 Perseids are coming up soon, folks.)

Four Banger: There are a couple focusing tricks when wanting to shoot landscape (or general 'sky stuff') at night. Preset the focus on some distant object--like the horizon--when it is light out, then don't touch the focusing ring. If the focus does change, and it is now dark, the moon (if it is up) is your best bet. If the moon isn't up, try the horizon again. Lastly, use a flashlight and the lens' distance scale to manually focus at infinity, or else just blindly crank the focus all the way to the infinity stop. I will typically back it off from the infinity stop a nudge, but that's primarily because lenses shouldn't even have to hit the stop to achieve acceptable infinity focus.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Saw a few Perseids between bouts of lightning and ... more lightning.

Andromeda is in there, too.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

What about the milky way? I read a blog post by some natgeo guy who suggested something ridiculous like 90 seconds at f/2.8 and iso 3200.

He certainly got good results, but how the heck is he holding the shutter open for 90 seconds and not getting trails?

Barn doors?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Hilroy posted:

Canon XS - 24mm f2.8 lens
iso 800, f4.5, 30 seconds on a tripod.

I'm new to the dorkroom. Mostly been taking night photos as I work during the day.

Something about the night / long exposure photos that I really enjoy, maybe because they look so surreal at times.

This is really well-executed--gorgeous. The trees are a really solid foreground, with the Pleiades and Venus (?) centrally-located, and the string of brighter stars along the top framing the horizon hues. Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Falco posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was having a tough time with live view because of the no moon that night. I just need to find a planet or something bright to look at and try it again.

My method for star trails has been to focus on the horizon during sunset/daylight, switch to manual focus, then not touch anything until shooting time. This typically works pretty well, because once the landscape light has peaked, there's still ample light for infinity at the horizon.