Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Nondo posted:

Perseids meteor shower is tomorrow night. Anyone going to take some photos? Moon rises around midnight

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/

I was going to do this, but unfortunately the clouds rolled in earlier this afternoon and have stuck around since then. They aren't predicting clear skies for us until Thursday night. Argh. Typical!

As for the topic, here's a couple of mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Moved to a new place without much light pollution thanks to it being on a lake/golf course, it's cool to finally see some stars!

Can also usually see the ISS when it passes over very clearly.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 20, 2011

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Cool view, fknlo! Sometimes I'm torn, living in a rural area now I love seeing the stars and when it's dark it's legitimately dark but I sure do love cities at night, too.

IceLicker posted:

Welp, looks like I'll be outside in the 7 degree air tonight:

I was out for most of it in 20 degree weather, it was damned cold. It didn't really peak until around 4am CST, that's when I saw a bunch but by then I was so cold I managed to catch one and then called it a night. I think there's another show coming up in March? Hopefully it'll be a little warmer. :)

xpost from the snapshot thread

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Jekub posted:

This was taken with a friend's telescope using his very nice S-Big camera and narrowband filters (Sulphur 2, Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen 3) in the classic Hubble palette. I think around 20 hours total data.

sh171 Narrowband by tmarkuk, on Flickr

The colour fringe around the bright stars comes from some nasty internal reflections caused by the filters, looks like he needs to send those back. Annoyingly each filter has reflected at slightly different angles, brightness and size hence the colour effects.

This is my first attempt at processing narrowband, it makes for a very different challenge than working single shot colour RGB images as I normally do, also makes me want to spend lots of money.

That's stunning, good god. I don't think I even want to know what a setup like that would cost. Haha. Spectacular results, though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Just a pass of the ISS over the lake in front of my house. I think it was a bit lower in altitude due to docking with a cargo capsule recently so it was pretty bright.

edit: vvv Haha, I'll never be able to look at this and not think that now. Thank goodness there aren't any replacement refs to be seen.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 11, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Rovasti posted:

I like this a lot!

Here are some star trails shot from our backyard in the suburbs. That blue glow in the lower leafs come from our neighbours horrible christmas lights.

Backyard star trails by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Thanks, and very cool photo too! Your neighbors already have christmas lights up?? Man it comes sooner and sooner every year. Haha.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Good news: You're relatively close to lots of desert, so if you wanted to you could take a weekend road trip and get away from the city glow. :v:

Bad news: LA creates a poo poo ton of city glow so you do have to drive quite a ways.

This map seems pretty accurate during the times I've tried it. Kind of neat/sad to see just how much light pollution there is.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

I done shot myself a meteor.

I had one hell of a time processing this, I've never shot anything like it before. I've got half a dozen different versions saved with various colors and contrasts going on. This one ended up being my favorite because the sky looked the best, but I'm worried that everything's too dark. Thoughts?

Hi meteor friend! I agree with maxmars that the backlit/dark foreground really isn't much of a detractor so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I like it a lot as posted! Good job.

I wish I could have scouted out a location better than my backyard, but being sick I didn't plan on shooting anything to begin with until I was lying in bed at 3am and it was nagging at me enough that I had to get up and try for awhile.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

wanghammer posted:

Went out on the 30th for some northern lights and caught the tail end of a meteor.

IMG_6697 by bighoits, on Flickr

Good lord I'm envious. That's so cool.

I thought the story sounded familiar, looks like this is the same meteor but from a different angle. :)
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/04/01/photographer-captures-meteor-streaking-through-the-aurora-borealis/

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

FWIW the nova seems to have peaked at about 4.3 magnitude, it's been dropping in brightness for a few days now. Floating at around 5.2 or 5.3 from the looks of it.

http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=...2=&mean=&vmean=

Arghhhh. I've been trying but between the clouds that seem to appear out of nowhere starting about fifteen minutes after sunset to the super bright blue moon tonight I just haven't been able to get a dark enough sky to get anything worthwhile.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Tried to get a photo of ISON this morning but it didn't want to cooperate. While waiting for it to show up I did see this plane with its contrails illuminated by the moon pass right by M42, though!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Wish that meteor started a lot higher in the sky. It was tracked by ASGARD and was moving at 31 miles per second. Dang.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Spent about an hour watching the show. Saw tons in directions I wasn't pointing the camera but managed to get a few. This was the brightest.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Spent about an hour as well but was too early I think (only about midnight) because I only saw maybe half a dozen in that entire timespan. Managed to get a couple that I am 99% sure they're planes or satellites and definitely not meteors :)

Awesome scenery though! That first one is my favorite, good shots.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

oldmandon posted:

What's the bright one in the top right?

That caught my eye too, looked at it closer and I'd say the majority is just aberration off what I think is the star Vega

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Really digging the colors in this one, great work.

This is really cool, I've tried to do the panorama stitching of milky way shots and it never really comes out as good as that.

Goddamn light pollution. This thing is sitting in the middle of a field but it's sorta close to a road full of ugly sodium vapor lights and off to the right is a baseball field with ridiculous stadium lighting. If there's ever a power outage I'm revisiting this.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately to get rid of light pollution you probably got a long drive ahead of you.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

To fully escape light pollution, you gotta haul your butt to the spots that are 100% black.. like southeast utah.

drat, that map is cool but depressing. Not the best but there's a few blue spots that aren't extremely far away, I might have to road trip over to those and see what I can find there.

For reference levels the tank photo was taken in an orange zone. I live in a brighter green zone and the milky way is just barely visible on very clear nights.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 25, 2016

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Was iced in at the condo but wanted to photograph some downtown fireworks. Stood in -4 fahrenheit weather up on a hill behind the condo and the fireworks just barely crested the trees.

Good enough. Happy new year, y'all.