Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was messing around with a few photos I took a while back that I thought were pretty useless, but when I brought the white balance all the way down to 2000 or so I noticed that the colors became much closer to daylight and I was able to get results that looked like somewhat surreal daytime photos.

These were both taken in almost pitch dark except for the streetlights you see.

I'm interested to see if anyone else likes the look of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

TomR posted:

I used live view and zoomed in 10x and manually focused them. I turned the focus ring until the lights were as small and sharp as they would get. I was right on the lake and was taking photos over about 50km of water. You could see the light bending and waving. I'm pretty sure the softness comes from the light distortion and long shutter times.

I did a video of the moon too, and you can really see the effect, I'll upload it.

Edit:
Have a look at the ripples on the bottom of the Moon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/5044028447/

50km is a lot of air to go through, so you're quite possibly right, but was IS off? My camera had a similar issue when using a lens with IS. I know some of the newer IS lenses detect this and shut off IS automatically, but not sure if the 300mm IS does or not.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ATF posted:

I'll play.

Hyatt via Charles by Nick Gillham, on Flickr

I've stayed there. gently caress that place. Nice shots though. I can't wait until I have to go back to Cambridge for work.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

trip9 posted:

Two shots I took the other night while trying to test out my new tripod and get a few photos for a picture-a-day thing I'm doing with a few friends. I'm not too great at night stuff, but it's something I'd definitely like mess around with more.

You're off to a good start. I love both of those.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I got like 3 paragraphs into a response with more substance, but really all that needs to be said is K-Rock is high as a kite. All the above comments are correct. I would also add that places like Times Square are going to be about as bright as any nighttime location you'll ever find other than a sports stadium.

Tripods are really useful and I wish I had the patience to drag mine around more. Even in daytime shots at wide angles I've started noticing a that that small details are lost due to motion blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Venus Rising by Josh, on Flickr

Black Mountain Moonset by Josh, on Flickr

Glacier Peak Moonset by Josh, on Flickr