Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

15 seconds with a composite sky. I need a polarizer.

scottch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Not sure what happened to the sky here. It probably had something to do with all the sodium lights pushing the colour temperature over 50000.

Any critique? Totally new at this, but I'm having fun!

EDIT:

A couple more from the same set.

I think the first B&W is the strongest. Framing compliments the architecture, or something.

If you have access to Photoshop, you could easily fix that sky with some masked adjustment layers. I like the shot, but the sky is almost too surreal.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I haven't done anything like that myself, but not having a remote shutter release is going to be a pretty big problem. On a long exposure, you simply pressing and depressing the button is going to be enough to ruin your exposure. If you want to give it a shot without one, make sure the camera body is rock-solid stable. Maybe clamp it somehow?

And keep in mind that the stars themselves will likely produce some trails, though the ISS should still stand out quite starkly considering how much faster and brighter its path will be.

Tight aperture, isolated from light pollution, clear sky are all tips I'm sure you're aware of. Good luck.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I just picked up an ML-L3 remote shutter release! I can't wait to take shots longer than 30s. No for some sort of timer...

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This looks much darker when I view it with any other program other than photoshop and I'm not sure why.

You're probably working in ProPhotoRGB in Photoshop. Other programs will either translate that to sRGB (Lightroom) or disregard the colour profile altogether (what seems like every other Windows program). Either way, your image looks wrong. There's no real solution to this, you just have to be aware of where your image is likely to end up when finished and work in a colour space appropriate for that.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Auditore posted:

You should try going back and going closer on the right hand third of the frame. Some thing interesting should be able to eventuate with all those pipes and framing.

EDIT: Something like this is what I'm getting at:

Rules. The blue and orange look great.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

This is a 4 exposure 35mm film HDR shot. Excuse me for the poo poo on my negatives, this HDR was made directly from the scans; no chances to clean them up.

It's a fine shot, but where's the extra dynamic range coming into play?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I took this a while back but left the shutter open too long. Tried to fix it with offset in Photoshop, but not sure how successful that was. Going to reshoot anyway I think.

DSC_6150 by scottch, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I reprocessed this to make the colours look more natural, but the galaxy still looks like poo poo. I left my shutter open too long and got trails, didn't notice until I got home, and tried correcting it with the offset filter. I don't think it worked too well, but if anyone has any tips I'd love to try again. I may just wait until next year and reshoot.

DSC_6150-adj.jpg by scottch, on Flickr