Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Nice, I like the motion blur in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Helmacron posted:

That is sweet. That is so loving sweet. I am now trying to work out how to do that with a panorama.

Edit: I don't know what a perseid meteor shower looks like, so I can't quite work out a couple things. Can you tell me the ISO and F/stop and camera used for your pictures, Leviathor? If you don't mind!

Edit 2: This is the greatest thing I've ever done. I'm going to be on tenderhooks until I can print it out. I'm going to go buy an A1 portfolio solely because of this diptych.

What am I looking at? I like it.

This whole thread has some great stuff in it, keep up the good work everybody and keep shooting at night!

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Xanin posted:

When it's really dark and you're setting up your equipment, how do you see? In the past I've had trouble making sure I've got the subject in frame as I can't really see much through the viewfinder. Although I'm using a Nikon D50 which isn't that great to look through really unless there's loads of light. This means I have trouble focusing, and when I get back to look at the shots on my computer I'm often disappointed. Should I just set the aperture to f/16 and just focus manually? I usually use my Sigma 10-20 so I suppose I could use a little flashlight and adjust the focusing ring.

For example, there's a beach near me and a few times I've gone out in the evening, around and after sunset and got a few shots that I like, e.g. this:

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

I tried to go when it was properly dark and take some really long exposures of the water, as before, possibly with stars and/or moon, but I just couldn't get what I visualised. I think it's due to what I mentioned before, not getting what I want in the frame and also the focus being messed up. I suppose I could do with a few pointers for settings to use when it's dark, rather than low light.

Also, do people use that long exposure noise reduction feature that is present in some cameras? Does it help? I haven't really thought about it before but it's something that just occured to me now.

Thanks!

also, now I look back at that photo I posted, it seems a little over processed to me. Any tips on editing long exposure night photos? Sorry for all the questions!
I use a guess and check method for composition when it's really dark. Your eyes will adjust some, but it can still be tough to see small things through the viewfinder. Just crank up your iso, open up your aperture as far as it will go, then set to a shutter speed under 1 second and hand hold it until you get it roughly right, then put on a tripod and do your fine adjustments. Check on your lcd until everything is where you want it. You can even determine the correct exposure this way and then count down stops when you turn the iso and aperture back up to figure out how long you need to expose for. A powerful flashlight is a must for night photography.