Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My first attempt at a night sky photo (actually thee stitched together). Think it works well, obviously a lot of light pollution in front of/behind the mountains at the base adding a lot of glow.

Stars above Rothornhutte by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from the film thread:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

First attempt at a star trail with a large format film camera, ok but could have gone a lot better. 1.5 hour exposure on 4x5 Ektar 100, f5.6 on a 135mm lens. I intended to go for >2 hours but at 1.5 it started to rain and the lens was fogged by that point anyway so I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did tbh.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two long exposure large format film shots, both on Fuji Provia slide film. The first was a 60 second exposure in a backcountry hut by candle light (I should have 'dressed the set' a bit more, it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing).

The second was a 4 hour exposure of the outside of another hut we were sleeping in, unfortunately there was patch cloud blowing through and a nearly full moon that night, so the star trails weren't anywhere near as nice as they could have been, still turned out pretty well I think.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

20 minute exposure onto some 35mm slide film, bit of a spur of the moment shot so turned out pretty well IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

That's pretty cool. Most short stair trails look like mistakes, but the hazy background and the flare give it some intent. Is that the Milky Way making the pinks? And what made the flair?

Yeah it was the milky way giving the general pink glow. Not sure what the really bright trail was (I assume a planet) or why It flared, potentially a small cloud blew over or some smoke from the wood fire of the cabin we were staying in.