Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jekub posted:

I use the prime focus method for my imaging, where the camera body is directly connected to the telescope, in essence making the telescope a fixed length manually focused lens.

The andromeda image is composed of 92 x 2.5 minute exposures, so nearly 4 hours of data all told, which is aligned, stacked and processed afterwards. On top of that you have dark frames to cancel out noise and light frames to remove vignetting and other aberrations.

I use a Canon EOS1000D, which I don't think people in here like much, but it has fantastic low light level performance and is loved by budget astrophotographers (remote live view is heaven sent). No DSLR is perfect for this, for various reasons, but it's a good way to get started.

The andromeda picture was taken with a William Optics ZS66SD APO refractor, in normal photography terms it works out to a 388mm F5.9 lens. The moon shot, and most of my other photographs, was taken with a 250mm reflector (1200mm F4.7).

The andromeda shot was taken with a lens shorter and slower than my 200mm with a 2x extender (400mm f/5.6)?! I assume that with a 2.5 minute exposure, you have it on a tracking system? That's the toughest part for your average astrophotgraphy amateur.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evensevenone posted:

it was 92 2.5 minute exposures combined (!).

That's not as difficult. I stack exposures now, but the time for motion shift is much shorter than 2.5 minutes. I'm curious if anyone here has tried a barn door tracker.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This is sometimes wayyyyy too dark, sometimes perfect.

pre-dawn by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

octane2 posted:

Beautiful, beautiful.

Love Orion just dangling there.

Got more, closer to sunrise?

Yes, but it was very cloudy, that was the only one with any real decent stars. You can see the cloud cover even in this one, and it was moving very fast.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dread Head posted:

Last eclipse I saw I show at 200mm, yes you can do it but not really ideal. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/2281396482/ (this is not cropped).

I think the same night, 200mm w/ 2x teleconverter.

eclipse by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Is there any way to photograph the moon and still get some glow from nearby scenery?

Or is pick one or the other? I know the moon gives off a shitton of light so it's gonna dominate any nighttime image it shows up in.. but are there any subtle tricks? Just take two exposures and combine in post?

Flash. Or, shoot when it's not full dark out, and the moon doesn't dominate the lighting.

Like most photography, it's good around sunset/sunrise. Sunlight on the other objects, expose for the moon. Otherwise, take two photos and comp the moon into the one exposed for the background.

Two different comp shots. In each moon shot, followed by reflection shot a few seconds later:

moon2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

compositemoon1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

christmas eve tree sales3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Cook Bank - Rhyolite, NV by xxyzz road, on Flickr

What was the light source for the building?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Nothing special, but it was a nice night.

Full Moon from Balcony by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Before the First Ferry by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Galaxy Cactus by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Alcoholic posted:

IMG_3163 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

Pretty. Not what I'd call a "long exposure" but nice.

Lightning One by torgeaux, on Flickr

Lightning Two by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Alcoholic posted:

whoops, read the thread wrong. thought it said night time or long exposures. and i figured dusk was kinda close to night and idk. thanks though.
and i tried taking heat lightning pictures with my k1000 but they didn't come out as cool as those

98650002 by fuckinshitballs, on Flickr

No worries, it's a nice shot no matter what.

Lightning is the most maddening thing to shoot. Shutter open 10 seconds on, 3 seconds off, and every impressive bit of lightning is in the 3 seconds off.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cropped Capital Crane by torgeaux, on Flickr

Capital Ghost by torgeaux, on Flickr

Close Capital by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sunrise Bay by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm not a huge fan of this shot. I've got to find a better angle to get the windmills. I'm at a point in the road where there's a large sign saying "No Photography or Video Beyond This Point!"

John Paul Jones Hill by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Evilkiksass posted:

:ughh::wtc::cmon::dealwithit: It is time to grow some balls.

Also, stop down and wait to shoot on a night when there is no moon.

The marines who watch that carry rifles with ammo. No thanks. Not to mention, barring me from the Island equals losing my job. Again, I'll just follow the rules.

Yeah. I need to plan that shot...but I want some ambient, also. Sunrise would be a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Leviathor posted:

My method for star trails has been to focus on the horizon during sunset/daylight, switch to manual focus, then not touch anything until shooting time. This typically works pretty well, because once the landscape light has peaked, there's still ample light for infinity at the horizon.

My Sigma 24mm f/1.8 is great for stars. First, it's a good focal length. Second, it's nice and sharp. Third, it has a mechanism to a) set it to MF, and then b) decouple the ring so you can't change the focus even if you bump it. It's great for this.