Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Touchdown Pope!
Jul 3, 2005
There is naught, nor ought there be, nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!
This was one of the first pictures I took after buying my tripod. 25 seconds exposure, ISO800, in almost pitch black. In the background are street lights, it's not a sunset :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Pope!
Jul 3, 2005
There is naught, nor ought there be, nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!

Jekub posted:

I have a Vixen Sphinx computer controlled mount, very accurate tracking but I took that picture on holiday so 2.5 minutes was the most I was happy with. Normally I use two scopes at home where the second one provides an image for software to correct the movement of the mount, exposure times are then only limited by the camera.

The information on the lens is correct, though I forgot to mention I used a 0.8 focal reducer / flattener which actually makes it 310mm f4.9.

Andromeda is way bigger than people think a galaxy visible from earth would be, having an angular size roughly 6 times that of the moon, it won't even fit on the chip of the 1000D if I tried imaging it with the 250mm reflector.

Quick edit, I just found this, demonstrates it better than talking angular size - http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0606.html

You are seriously blowing my mind here. However there's one thing: I have a EOS1000D and its maximum shutter time is 30 seconds, so how did you get the 2.5 minutes?