Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I love night stuff and have been meaning to do some more.

Almost night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Another old one I dug up looking for pictures for the game thread.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did anyone get any photos of the meteor shower the past few nights (Nondo)?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Phat_Albert posted:

Right, but they look like poo poo and I'm angry at that.

True, but if you shoot in raw you can normally fix the WB.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ElroySmin posted:

thanks for the heads up! I'm kind of keen to hear any tips as well.
And you said prairies.. if you're in alberta you can check up on http://corona-gw.phys.ualberta.ca/AuroraWatch/ to see if there'll be any aurora activity - it's supposed to be really clear on tuesday (although at 6 days away I don't give the forecast much credence)
Is a 200mm on a dx sensor long enough to catch good shots of the moon?

Last eclipse I saw I show at 200mm, yes you can do it but not really ideal. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/2281396482/ (this is not cropped).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One way you can focus is to use the moon if that is out (or any distant light source really) and the switch your camera or lens over to manual focus.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone have a handy reference for the right ISO/aperture to use for a given exposure length and moon fullness? I'd hate to sit around waiting for a 3 hour exposure of awesome star trails only to find out that it overexposed by 4 stops or something.

Here is a handy calculator. The moon is a lot brighter than you would think. http://www.adidap.com/2006/12/06/moon-exposure-calculator/

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pukestain Pal posted:

where are you?

Using my detective skills (photo title) I am going to say Panama.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Moving on from moon photos.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Saint Fu posted:

The DOF at 16mm is pretty wide even at F/4

This, and I focused on the tent, ideally it would have been f8 or more but needed more light.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Skizzzer posted:

nice 1 dread. Looks a lot like a spot in Sombrio that I camped at over the summer.

Was on the island but up in the mountains in Strathcona.

One more from the same night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01