Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

night time in the desert, used a waterbottle stuck in the sand as a tripod, hence the low, low angle. still dig the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005
One of these is from ages ago - I think I may have posted it somewhere but evidently not in this thread. It had so much potential, but I didn't have a tripod & the white balance is pretty terrible (and as far as i can remember unfixable in pp)

And this other one was experimenting with a strobe, I really like the bright white (minus the fact it looks a bit kkk) and the blurred stars in the background whose array of different colours pop out. Again it would have been nice to have had a wider lens but other than that I can't complain

edit: what the heck this one is cool too, I love how fast the river looks

ElroySmin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 15, 2010

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

xzzy posted:

Most of the western hemisphere is going to see a lunar eclipse this Tuesday (on the winter solstice! :tinfoil:).

thanks for the heads up! I'm kind of keen to hear any tips as well.
And you said prairies.. if you're in alberta you can check up on http://corona-gw.phys.ualberta.ca/AuroraWatch/ to see if there'll be any aurora activity - it's supposed to be really clear on tuesday (although at 6 days away I don't give the forecast much credence)
Is a 200mm on a dx sensor long enough to catch good shots of the moon?

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I think the same night, 200mm w/ 2x teleconverter.

eclipse by torgeaux, on Flickr

This is excellent. I'm looking forward to it, i'm going to inquire at the local shop tomorrow to see if their 80-400 is rented out yet

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

Ola posted:

- Fogging up lens in low temp. Do I take them out abit early to chill? Leave camera in fridge over night?

You'll only have a problem taking your lenses from cold dry outside to nice warm inside, put it in a ziploc before you take it inside to prevent extreme condensation.

unless you breath on it outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005
Phew, thought I lost these because of condensation shorting the card, or something (it was freezing) - but I managed to recover them. So as an aside 'pc inspector smart recovery' is money.

The 200mm fared okay, I think i was definitely more limited by the fact it was -20 and windy and I couldn't ever get it focused just right without freezing my hands