Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple of long exposure first attempts:

humid night by blinsaff, on Flickr

suburbs under moon by blinsaff, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just a backyard shot. Added points for the bed sheets I forgot to take off the clothes line...

DSC_0962 by blinsaff, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

look up, chum by blinsaff, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Long exposure, infrared shot of the mungo sand dunes (Mungo National Park, Australia) on a really dirty element. Kangaroo, emu and snake tracks in the foreground, sunset in the background.

That's awesome!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This was a really, really dark night. Really hard to focus on anything, but they turned out ok. :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

zeroprime posted:

I got a chance to process some of the photos I took while in Death Valley last week. I really like the moonlit roadway shots and I really regret not spending more time out taking shots in the middle of the night that night, that was the only time it was clear with a sliver of the moon out.

IMG_0457 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_0482 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

I've been playing around with how to punch up/down the colors and luminance to try to get different looks for the Milky Way. I want to sit down and mess with that more this weekend and also process some stacked shots to see how the sky turns out with multiple shorter exposures.

IMG_0834 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

Great shots mate!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 8, 2015

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Light pollution :smith:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

This is rad. How do you get wonderful colors like that? Do you do much post-processing, or is this just a really dark place? I always end up with a yellowish tint to mine (Admittedly, my location has some light pollution):

Thanks!

Well it was a bit of dark place + pumping the blues and purples in processing. I was facing away from any light pollution too (which was the key). Plus it was on top of a mountain, on a dark night, in the middle of no where!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

First real attempt at capturing some lightning.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Orion, Taurus and Pleiades from a southern hemisphere sky. (Cloud cover :( )

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Eta aquarid watching :)

toggle fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2016

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My first real meteor shower in truly dark skies. Turned out pretty good. This is a aquarid meteor. :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stochastic posted:

This is cool, nice catch of the meteor! Big fan of wide field astronomy shots. Hoping to get out of the city and capture the milky way soon.

Cheers!

Here's a short little timelapse of the shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP1i6ZxdNA

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stochastic posted:

Whoa, awesome timelapse. What is your method for making those videos? Stitching together many still frames or do you speed up captured video?

Thanks! Yeah, they are individual frames (240 shots at 20 second exposures) all sequenced up in After Effects. Mostly shot on a GH4 which isn't the best at low light/night photography.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Choicecut posted:

Stack of 10x360sec, 15x180sec. Dark subtraction.

Horsehead & Flame Nebula by Eli J, on Flickr

These are nothing compared to a lot of AP stuff, but I am still proud of them.

Not really long exposure, but solar filters are fun to play with too:

Venus Transit - June 6, 2012 by Eli J, on Flickr

So good! Awesome shots!

I'd like to get into doing some astrophoto stuff, but I'm scared I'll just go over the top and burn through a fortune..

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Winter nights in Australia..

Here is a moon halo:

and the Milky Way vs some big city light pollution:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jvick posted:

Nice! I love how well Orion sticks out.

Thanks! Currently enjoying beautifully clear summer nights, just a shame that the Milky Way rises and sets early, so Orion tends to be a key feature :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lockdown nights

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lockdown nights, part 2

Capturing the Lyrids meteor shower on the morning of the 23rd. So much satellite traffic out there :(

The bright star below the Milky Way is Jupiter, then below that is Saturn. Mars is below Saturn, but can't be seen as it's behind the roof.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

xzzy posted:

gently caress Elon Musk. :colbert:

Speaking of which..

Thanks Elon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A shot from the eta Aquarids meteor shower from early May.