Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Paul MaudDib posted:

What bothers me is how they can't manage non-A lenses normally and you have to use the green button. Why can't it do aperture priority in stopdown mode when you push the shutter release?

Huh? I'm able to use Aperture Priority mode with a non-A lens.

Unless I'm just doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

multigl posted:

I'd imagine the 55 is relatively wide on 6x7, no?

Yeah, it's incredibly wide:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

:swoon:

I need to get a medium format.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazy posted:

Huh? I'm able to use Aperture Priority mode with a non-A lens.

Unless I'm just doing something wrong.

quote:

Well, SMC-K/M lenses are usually dirt cheap on the used market and some may come in handy regarding the current deep dark gaps in the Pentax lens lineup.

In fact the K 135mm f/2.5 doesn't even offer aperture priority on the K10D (due to the crippled KFA2 mount here) and you have to use stop-down metering using the camera's green button.

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/143-pentax-smc-k-135mm-f25-review--lab-test-report

I think that's what I've seen all over?

edit:

quote:

The M-series lenses, along with their SMC Pentax (commonly known as the K-series) predecessors, are the worst-implemented manual focus lenses on modern Pentax bodies. Pentax released its first digital SLR, the *ist D, based on their *ist film camera. Neither supported metering at all with the M and K lenses because there is no mechanical coupling between the lens and the camera. Gone completely are the days of shooting without electricity, I suppose.

Since then, Pentax has implemented a work-around, using the 'Green Button' while in manual exposure mode to 'automatically' stop the lens down and take a reading. If you want to shoot with M and K lenses in aperture priority mode, modern Pentax cameras will only shoot them wide open.

Oh wait, it should work fine if you're shooting wide open, forgot about that.
http://www.pbase.com/carpents/nlsr1m3

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 22, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

multigl posted:

:swoon:

I need to get a medium format.

6x7 is really easy to learn because it's not square and it's got an optional prism you can put on the ground glass so you don't have to look down into it and can shoot it more like a 35mm.

and if i'm braggin about medium format, i may as well post some more:

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 22, 2009

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

What bothers me is how they can't manage non-A lenses normally and you have to use the green button. Why can't it do aperture priority in stopdown mode when you push the shutter release?

This is why I love my ZX-M and ME Super, both can do aperture priority with and k-mount (or screwmount) lens, with A-series or AF lenses, the ZX-M will even tell you the aperture you have selected on the aperture ring in the viewfinder.

Its so retarded that they crippled their mount like this with their digital bodies, seeing as how lens compatibility is a huge selling point for Pentax.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still having trouble seeing what the physical difference between a Pentax-A and Pentax-M lens are in terms of the mount. I'm literally looking at both right now and they look exactly the same, so I'm having trouble figuring out what part of the mount is "crippled" to the point where it can't read aperture.

It has no problem setting aperture on the A lens so why should reading the aperture on an M lens be any different.

I mean, I'm sure there's a really really simple explanation, I'm just not wrapping my head around it.

Stop-down metering in Av is OK enough for me for now, though it's approximate at best and I'm still trying to learn how to handle it on my M lenses.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I'm still having trouble seeing what the physical difference between a Pentax-A and Pentax-M lens are in terms of the mount. I'm literally looking at both right now and they look exactly the same, so I'm having trouble figuring out what part of the mount is "crippled" to the point where it can't read aperture.

It has no problem setting aperture on the A lens so why should reading the aperture on an M lens be any different.

I mean, I'm sure there's a really really simple explanation, I'm just not wrapping my head around it.

Stop-down metering in Av is OK enough for me for now, though it's approximate at best and I'm still trying to learn how to handle it on my M lenses.

See the little electrical contacts on the camera's mount? There's like seven at about the 7 o'clock position. They tell the camera the aperture setting on Ka lenses and up (SMC Pentax-A).

Now go find an ancient M42 lens. Note there's no aperture pin. A less ancient M42 will have an aperture pin. A late model M42 will have a tiny arm that indicates the aperture, it turns with the ring. The camera reads that. The K-mount uses the same system. "SMC Pentax" and "SMC Pentax-M" lenses have only that arm. "SMC Pentax-A" introduced the electrical contacts too. All (?) the lenses have both arm and electrical contact, but Pentax doesn't have the corresponding arm in the camera to read that because they want to sell you new lenses. Some of their film bodies are missing it too, recently.

It breaks up what is touted as 40 years of lenses and cameras that are all completely intercompatible.

e: evolution of the k-mount here http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/summary/index.html

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

For us used to small format it's about the equivalent to a 25mm on 135.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did an entirely unscientific ISO comparison on my K10d. All blurriness and missed focus is a direct result of my lovely tripod bouncing my camera around while I adjusted the ISO between shots. I can't overstate how lovely this tripod is. All shots are 1:1 out of camera :

ISO100

ISO 125

ISO 160

ISO 200

ISO 250

ISO 320

ISO 400

ISO 500

ISO 640

ISO 800

ISO 1000

ISO 1250

ISO 1600

I can honestly say I'm not too disappointed with 1600. This was a somewhat properly exposed scene though; if underexposed I'm certain 1600 will look like absolute poo poo as usual.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 24, 2009

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
K200D owner here. Also have a Super ME that sadly doesn't work. I am just staring up and trying to learn how to get good photographs.

Kazy posted:

If there any other K200D users here, Amazon has the battery grip for it for $30

I just picked one up.

Gah! I want, but they don't ship to Canada.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I share your pain. That would have been an awesome deal.

I have a K200D I use daily and a Pentax 645 body sitting in a drawer. I've played with the though of getting a cheap prime for it but I never thought it would be worth the hassle of dealing with medium format film.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Just got it in, it's basically a holder for 4 extra AAs and an extra shutter release.

It gives the K200D a nice bit of weight, and the vertical grip part is perfect in my hand.

I just wish it had the arrow keys for AF-select, though I can reach the on-camera ones with some effort.

A great deal for $30, I'd say. Not sure if I would've paid the retail price of $129, though.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

~pentax supremacy~

bought my k10d because of the legacy lenses and ruggedness. i've bought a bunch of legacy lenses which have faired me well though the lack of AF is a bit annoying.

can't wait till the k7 is a bit cheaper. plan on buying it before i do some traveling this winter

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

6x7 is really easy to learn because it's not square and it's got an optional prism you can put on the ground glass so you don't have to look down into it and can shoot it more like a 35mm.

and if i'm braggin about medium format, i may as well post some more:

i love your shots - i dunno if its because of the format & film or your actual shots (no offense). goddamn i wish they had gone full frame for digital.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Both, but with medium format the same focal length lens would cover a larger field of view. So if you're used to seeing a photo like that with a 35mm format lens, at the shooting distance to get a similar framing you'd need to be further back (or conversely, a wider lens to shoot at the same physical distance of the MF one.) It's subtle and effective. It would be more obvious if you had several shots side-by-side shot in different combinations of formats, focal lengths and shooting distances.

All that doesn't matter if you can't make a good photo though. It's a great photo. Part of the unique look comes from the format.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

it helps for nice architecture and some nature shots. 12 mm would go a longer way on a medium format or at least a non-crop body.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I went to logger sports on the weekend and shot a bunch of photos from the back of the stands with my Pentax 80-200 f/4.5. I'm scanning the photos in now and considering how little I expected of this lens, it's not bad at all, especially considering how cheap it is. I'll get some photos happening in the snapshot thread when I'm done.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
K 10D (from KEH, LN-, $465)
And my existing glass from a K1000:

50mm
52mm macro
80-200mm
2x teleconverter

Will I be happy with this for a while as my first dSLR?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

b0bx13 posted:

K 10D (from KEH, LN-, $465)
And my existing glass from a K1000:

50mm
52mm macro
80-200mm
2x teleconverter

Will I be happy with this for a while as my first dSLR?

Probably not. Read what I wrote above about the Pentax K lens compatibility. If they don't have the Ka contacts, you can mount them but they won't focus-confirm (I think?), you're stuck in stop down metering, aperture-priority won't work (except at full aperture), and you have to push a button to meter a shot and then hit the shutter.

If you have SMC Pentax-A (Ka) gear or up, you're fine. But since you have a K1000, I'm going to guess you have the vastly more common SMC Pentax-M gear which sucks on a K10d.

vvvv I love my K1000 SE. I would prefer a MX instead, but it's a bit much for an ancient camera. Now a Bessaflex... :swoon:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 5, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I love my old K1000.
Need to find a better wide angle for it, though... I picked up a Focal (J.C. Penney brand, I think) 28mm f2.8 for $16 recently and it's utterly terrible. I suppose I should quit dicking around with cheap lenses and get some that are actually worthwhile. My Soligor 135mm f2.8 ($25) was a fairly functional bargain, and despite the fact that my starting lens (Pentax M 50mm f/2) is only worth five bucks, I love the picture quality that comes from it.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 5, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

If they don't have the Ka contacts, you can mount them but they won't focus-confirm (I think?)

I think this is incorrect. I just got rid of my only Pentax-M lens to replace it with an A variant, but I'm 99% sure I got focus confirm messages in the VF with it before I sold it.

I think the question comes down do "do you like manual focusing" "do you not mind shooting in manual mode" "do you not mind hitting a button to re-meter between shots"?

If the answer to any of those is NO then you might want to look at getting an FA or DA lens (or just an A lens if you still don't mind manual focusing, but I assume you're OK with that coming from the K1000). If you don't mind it then you should be pretty OK with the K10d.

It's all about your expectations. You're not going to be point and shooting as quickly as someone with a Canon and a kit lens, or even as quickly as someone with a Pentax and a kit lens, but I think it's an awesome setup and the K10d is a great bargain camera.

Edit: I want the 50-A 1.7 but I might break down and buy a 50-A 2.0 -- I like the shots I've seen come out of those, and I shoot high enough ISO ( :love: K10d grain) that it should help compensate for the difference.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 6, 2009

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I think this is incorrect. I just got rid of my only Pent
Edit: I want the 50-A 1.7 but I might break down and buy a 50-A 2.0 -- I like the shots I've seen come out of those, and I shoot high enough ISO ( :love: K10d grain) that it should help compensate for the difference.

The 50mm/1.7 is rated more highly (IQ too) than the 50mm/1.7, and that's completely normal, as the lower f-numbers are usually just better lenses. What are you trying to say/imply here? :raise:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

What are you trying to say/imply here? :raise:

That I'd settle for a 2.0 since the 1.7 is harder to come by? :confused:

I think we have a difference of opinion on what "break down" means. I meant it more as a "I can't find what I want so I'll break down and settle for the next best thing" :v:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 6, 2009

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

That I'd settle for a 2.0 since the 1.7 is harder to come by? :confused:

I think we have a difference of opinion on what "break down" means. I meant it more as a "I can't find what I want so I'll break down and settle for the next best thing" :v:

Oh, right. I was thinking you thought the 2.0 was a nicer lens and you'd give in and treat yourself to it!

The A stuff is sadly a lot harder to find than the M stuff. It's strange, I generally see either the M-2.0 or the M-1.4, and a few A-2.0s and a very very few A-1.4s. Very few M-1.7s or A-1.7s and almost no K series lenses.

For extra :psyduck:, from what I remember the M-1.4 has higher resolution than the M-1.2. It's the only exception I know to the lower f-number = better lens rule.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 6, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Another K10D user. Decent bit o' kit, but needs better low-light AF. Also, mine's copped a beating and kept on going, very well built.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had previously expressed that I had no interest in film whatsoever and my K10D would be all I ever needed, but now I saw Henry's has a few ME (non super) bodies for $29 (CDN). Since I primarily shoot Av I'm sort of thinking about it just to dip my toes into film.

I mean what's $29 in the grand scheme of things, especially since I can use the same lenses as on my digital?

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

Kazy posted:

If there any other K200D users here, Amazon has the battery grip for it for $30

I just picked one up.

Similarly shattered that they don't ship down under.

On a related note, the RRP for the K7 grip here is AUD$480 - hilarious as it's almost as much as I paid for the K200D!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess you guys could always just diy

:laffo: :barf: :laffo:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Martytoof posted:

what the gently caress.
His camera looks like it has a cancerous beergut. Awesome.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Did he just hack the poo poo out of some silicone and call it a day? :psyduck:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That looks like that metal putty, it's a metal putty (...) substance that you shape and it hardens and them bam instant "thing." I used some once to make a makeshift on/off switch for a floor lamp.

That "grip" cracked me up. It's :pwn: in grip form.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

That is just terrible. :( I didn't notice at first how the shutter release was connected (the 2.5mm jack for shutter release cables)

Too bad the $30 grip is only available to the US. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

can't wait till the k7 is a bit cheaper. plan on buying it before i do some traveling this winter

Not to say that the K7 isn't awesome or anything, but it seems (edit: to me) like a step backwards in ergonomics.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 8, 2009

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm a long time K1000 user and my favorite lens to use is the Vivitar 24mm F2.0, due to the kind of dreamy feel that you get at 2.0 and the sharpness at 2.8.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking about picking up a K10D.

What level of functionality would I have to deal with? Reading about Pentax lenses, honestly, I'm just really confused. I can't figure out what exactly I'd have to do in order to just take a picture edit: with this specific lens.

Any help?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2009

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?
I wish this thread was around about a year ago when I was just starting to get into photography.....but all you guys were so helpful in the big photography thread.

I've got a K100D that I bought less than a year ago and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 which is great. I decided to go with Pentax because I have my dad's old K2 with a few lenses and figured that going with a Pentax dSLR body and the old lenses would be a great way to start off (and to see if I'd get used to lugging around a dSLR).

Well it was a great decision, and before long I had to go get a proper all-around lens for my dSLR (that's where the Sigma comes in).

There's a lot to love about Pentax....especially if you have access to some of their older stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of older stuff, I just picked up a Pentax ME, my first foray into film. I basically only shoot in Av right now anyway so it'll be an easy adjustment before I step up to shooting full manual film.

I have to say, it's an awesome little camera in your hand. Feels super light and portable. Definitely not leaving my side on future shoots. Now I just need to get my poo poo developed to see if it's not leaking light or something and I'm golden. Want to get into developing too but that's a different thread.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of older stuff, I just picked up a Pentax ME, my first foray into film. I basically only shoot in Av right now anyway so it'll be an easy adjustment before I step up to shooting full manual film.

It should be good. The Pentax M-series bodies can run with barely any seals if any are needed at all. All mine have poo poo for seals and they run fine.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

HPL posted:

It should be good. The Pentax M-series bodies can run with barely any seals if any are needed at all. All mine have poo poo for seals and they run fine.

Mine seems fine after looking at the test roll, but little pieces of the sealing keeps falling off once in a while. Apparently the original seals are quite corrosive, so I'm going to replace them.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

It looks like something out of a David Cronenberg movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Pentax Firmware Hack Project is starting over at Pentax Forums. I'm hoping for the ability for the camera to remember the factor of difference between a full open aperture and the stopped down aperture on a manual K lens. That way you could just meter once for each time you change aperture.

• Locked thread