Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rotten Cookies posted:

The manual focus 50mm f/1.7 (Or f/2, or f/1.4) is pretty drat fantastic. That focal length is covered in your kit lens, but you get some extra light, and it's a smaller lens. I found a 135mm f/2.8 which I like a lot.

This page is your friend.

Basically this.

The SMC Pentax series (no -M or -A) are probably my favorite overall, but only the -A versions and above have the electrical contacts that make metering work on Pentax's digital bodies.

Vivitar Series 1 lenses are usually worth a go if they're reasonably priced. Most third-party primes were actually made by a handful of companies like Vivitar, Cosina, Kiron, and Mamiya and are also pretty decent and can be had for almost nothing (like <$20). Wide angle lenses won't be very wide on your crop-sensor camera though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

zgrowler2 posted:

Just bought a refurb K-30 w/ 18-55mm kit lens off keh. Should be here in the next few days. In the event that I go out to local pawn shops and dig for old K-mount lenses, are there any specific ones I should keep an eye out for? Primes preferred since I only bought the kit lens and wouldn't mind manual fiddling on things w/ fixed range, but cheap teles (or wides - are cheap wides a thing?) are good too.

Screwmount stuff is much easier to use on the KAF mount since you have to do stop down metering with K-M lenses, but can use aperture priority AE with any M42 lens with an Auto/Manual slider. K-A lenses are pretty rare in the wild, in my area anyway. Watch for Vivitar, Sears in M42, there's some gems. The Sears 55mm f/1.4 I prefer over the super tak and smc-km 55s I have.

To use K-M on the 30 you have to set your green button to stop down since it doesn't have that on the on/off ring around the shutter release. I've found metering to be randomly unreliable with some older lenses, even Pentax ones. No idea why or what causes it. I'm not talking about the camera thinking the lens is off A, that's annoying enough, just 1-2 stop fluctuations in the same scene usually toward underexposure.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, exposure with old lenses usually requires some test-shots but that's what digital is for so just run with it. All the descriptions for using old glass on modern Pentax DSLRs make it sound really complicated, but it's not at all.

As already mentioned, that page at PentaxForums.com is your friend (not your wallet's friend).

Personal favourites:
- 28mm, from any era. It's a great focal length on a crop body. I have a FA-28mm/2.8 and I love it. Autofocus, small, light, and cost me $120 from a guy upgrading to the $900 31mm f/1.9. K-, M- or A- versions go for much less. Third-party even less than that.
- M-50mm/1.4 I got mine with a Pentax ME Super I bought off local Kijiji (like Craigslist) for $90 for the camera/lens pair. This is a good way to buy old glass - the old body you get with it is fun, too.
- M-135mm/3.5 Again, small, light, a pleasure to use, and came with an MX body I bought locally through eBay.
- Vivitar Series 1. The whole line is good, with a few exceptions. This old page has the info on the most popular line, the 70-210 zooms. I have a V4 and it kinda sucks, though it looks pretty. I'd sell it but honestly I'd feel bad about giving anybody else this lens. It's made of disappointment. The V3 is apparently the one to get. I have a V1 in Canon-FD mount that seems pretty nice, too.
On the other hand, I absolutely adore my other two Viv S1 lenses. I bough a 28-105/2.8-3.8 Macro (goes to 1:2) from a goon a few years ago for $40, it's second in my mind only to my 105mm/2.4 Macro (1:1) that cost me ten times as much but occassionally shows up for around $300. I also have a 19-35mm zoom in Minolta MD mount that is quite good, though that focal length range is better covered by your kit lens so unless you need a very-wide zoom that covers a 35mm film frame (e.g. put it on your ME Super or MX or whatever) it's not really worth it.
- Takumar / Super Takumar screw mount. I have the not-SMC m42 500mm/4.5 and while it's huge, heavy, awkward, and finicky, it's 500mm and looks like I could shoot down the birds I shoot with it. $500 but sometimes shows up for much less.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone else with a K-30 ever have aperture lever issues? Took only a year and I'm really hoping I can get this thing serviced under warranty even though it's drat near the end of the period.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I took my K-30 out for a few test photo sessions over the past week and I can say I'm already wishing I could budget an upgrade to full-frame. Very satisfied with the shots I've taken, but the crop factor either forces me to go wider on the kit lens than I'd like on landscapes/large structures (and bend lines in the picture that don't need bending) or take shots that look unnecessarily cut off. A sizable portion of this undoubtedly comes down to bad technique. My plan has been to stitch small panoramas to approximate the wide-angle shots I can't take with my current body, so I may try that out this weekend if the weather cooperates. It'll likely be a long and arduous road to not being lovely with the geometry and actually getting decent composites, but I'm all for it.

On the subject of primes, I've looked over several of the recommendations here as well as Pentax Forums and I definitely want a good manual 50mm prime for portraits. Test shots with the kit lens turned out very well there. Will do further research and make a choice sometime this month.

For other lenses, a AF tele zoom around 80-200mm is second on the list. Would go manual and save some money, but I'd rather get a cheap fixed range manual 200mm for long-range shots where I can set up - thought process for the tele zoom is "get the shot and move on." Macro is an afterthought and something I enjoy, but I don't dabble in small animals or miniatures or crafts or anything else that would justify buying or using the lens.

Just need a good bag now and I'm all set. Hoping I can keep expenses to a minimum (responsible photography budgeting is a thing, right?).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

zgrowler2 posted:

For other lenses, a AF tele zoom around 80-200mm is second on the list.
Hoping I can keep expenses to a minimum (responsible photography budgeting is a thing, right?).
Hahahahaha! Good luck with that "responsible budgeting" thing.

Seriously, though, lenses. 80-200 or 80-300 (plus or minus a few mm at either end) are popular lenses and there are lots to choose from.
I was going to make a list but there are sooooo many. Pick a budget, go from there. I have the Sigma 100-300 / 4.5-6.7 which I got for about $75. It's annoyingly bad until stopped down to f/8 and the AF doesn't play nice with either my K10D or my K-5 so I always manual-focus it. Fortunately the focus ring is big and easy to find without looking and I'm happy with enough of the shots I take with it. A friend has that same lens for his Nikon 3200 and he seems to like it OK, too.
When I have money (someday...) replacing that lens is high on my list of priorities. For around $100-200 there are some decent options, at least judging from the reviews I've read. Most lenses in that budget range have apertures like my Sigma, so around 4.5 at the wide end and down around 6.7 at the long end. For the same budget you could get a manual-focus A-series 70-210 with constant f/4 (and a really good reputation) or the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 / 2.8-4 that has an even better reputation (*** If you get the Version 3 ***).

Below $100 there are lots of old Sigmas and Tamrons.

Up around $300-$400 there are the DA-series telezooms, 55-300mm / 4-5.8 with or without WR.

Beyond $400 there's not much until you reach about $800-1000 and then you find the various 70-200 / 2.8 from a generation or two back (that is, lenses manufactured around 10 to 15 years ago and updated since). Then the current generation of "sport zooms" (so named because that focal length range and fast, constant aperture are favoured by professional sports photographers) up near the $1400 point.

200mm isn't really long enough for birds / wildlife, though it might be ideal for lots of other purposes. With birds / wildlife you're always, ALWAYS looking for longer reach, so there's no real "right" answer except "bigger". Costs go exponential pretty quickly beyond 300mm, but a big rear end prime can sometimes be found on the cheap.

To get wider than your kit lens there aren't really any options for less than about $400. Super-wides (wider than 17mm) are fun, though.
Panoramas really need a tripod. Get a tripod. Just generally, they're really useful.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The DA 50-200mm is a great choice if you don't mind the (lack of) speed on the long end. It's very compact, my first in the range was the old Tamron SP 80-200 and the Pentax is comically small in comparison.

zgrowler2 posted:

Hoping I can keep expenses to a minimum (responsible photography budgeting is a thing, right?).

Biggest thing I can suggest is don't buy something you think you'll want to immediately replace and don't hold on to things that you've already replaced. Unless you want to collect of course... :retrogames:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Magnicon 70-210mm f/4.5 is seriously great. My favourite lens, got it for something like :20bux: at a thrift storeish place. Since you got the stabilization you won't be hurting for light too much and it does not get dimmer as you zoom in.

I'm sure it is a rebrand of some generic lens company from the old days, so you may have to look around to find it.

Heavy thing though...

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

zgrowler2 posted:

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I took my K-30 out for a few test photo sessions over the past week and I can say I'm already wishing I could budget an upgrade to full-frame. Very satisfied with the shots I've taken, but the crop factor either forces me to go wider on the kit lens than I'd like on landscapes/large structures (and bend lines in the picture that don't need bending) or take shots that look unnecessarily cut off. A sizable portion of this undoubtedly comes down to bad technique.

Yes. And Lightroom will handle all of your perspective correction issues. I can take photos at 17mm on my K-5 and straighten them in LR and they look fine.

The only time that having a crop sensor is annoying for me is if I use old glass. Then my 50mm prime becomes a 75mm. I normally keep the vintage glass on my K1000.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Hahahahaha! Good luck with that "responsible budgeting" thing.

Seriously, though, lenses. 80-200 or 80-300 (plus or minus a few mm at either end) are popular lenses and there are lots to choose from.
I was going to make a list but there are sooooo many. Pick a budget, go from there. I have the Sigma 100-300 / 4.5-6.7 which I got for about $75. It's annoyingly bad until stopped down to f/8 and the AF doesn't play nice with either my K10D or my K-5 so I always manual-focus it. Fortunately the focus ring is big and easy to find without looking and I'm happy with enough of the shots I take with it. A friend has that same lens for his Nikon 3200 and he seems to like it OK, too.
When I have money (someday...) replacing that lens is high on my list of priorities. For around $100-200 there are some decent options, at least judging from the reviews I've read. Most lenses in that budget range have apertures like my Sigma, so around 4.5 at the wide end and down around 6.7 at the long end. For the same budget you could get a manual-focus A-series 70-210 with constant f/4 (and a really good reputation) or the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 / 2.8-4 that has an even better reputation (*** If you get the Version 3 ***).

Below $100 there are lots of old Sigmas and Tamrons.

Up around $300-$400 there are the DA-series telezooms, 55-300mm / 4-5.8 with or without WR.

Beyond $400 there's not much until you reach about $800-1000 and then you find the various 70-200 / 2.8 from a generation or two back (that is, lenses manufactured around 10 to 15 years ago and updated since). Then the current generation of "sport zooms" (so named because that focal length range and fast, constant aperture are favoured by professional sports photographers) up near the $1400 point.

200mm isn't really long enough for birds / wildlife, though it might be ideal for lots of other purposes. With birds / wildlife you're always, ALWAYS looking for longer reach, so there's no real "right" answer except "bigger". Costs go exponential pretty quickly beyond 300mm, but a big rear end prime can sometimes be found on the cheap.

To get wider than your kit lens there aren't really any options for less than about $400. Super-wides (wider than 17mm) are fun, though.
Panoramas really need a tripod. Get a tripod. Just generally, they're really useful.

For around $200 you can usually find the DAL 55-300, if your willing to deal with a plastic mount and lack of quick-shift. For the 50mm, I would look at the pentax 50mm f1.7, since they made so many and they perform well for the price. I'd also look for the Takumar 55 f1.8 since it's really cheap and performs really well.

In other news, I finally got my first roll of film exposed from my ME Super. I screwed up and opened the film door so a lot of pictures got messed up, but a few came out pretty darn well. Almost all of these were taken with either the 43mm limited or 77mm limited:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Snagged a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm V3 on KEH, last Pentax one they had. Picked up a filter, hood and caps from Amazon - got a relatively deep tele hood at 3" since many owners complain about poor flare reduction sans hood, will see how it holds up. Holding off on the 50mm prime and/or a 200mm f/4 for now. I want the -A f/1.4 over the -M f/1.4 or f/1.7 (AF isn't worth the upcharge to me, but I'd like to not have to manage the aperture as much), but it's hard to find them for under $135 and my budget's recently shrunk a bit, so I'll make do with the kit lens until I can find a nice bargain.

Thanks again for all the advice!

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 29, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm actually thinking of selling my 50mm 1.8 because I love the DA 35mm and 55-300. Is there any reason to keep it?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Give this thread a bump. Finally got back some more film taken on my ME Super. Lots of pictures taken with the 43mm because it is a goddamn fantastic lens. Most of these are portra 400.

90070027.jpg by HolyDukeNukem1, on Flickr

90070019.jpg by HolyDukeNukem1, on Flickr

90070004.jpg by HolyDukeNukem1, on Flickr

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

Anyone else with a K-30 ever have aperture lever issues? Took only a year and I'm really hoping I can get this thing serviced under warranty even though it's drat near the end of the period.

So the day after this post, I contacted Ricoh for repair covered by warranty. They told me to wait until Aug 10 to send it out because they were changing service centers to a place in CT.

So, like a moron, I did. They guaranteed the aperture lever would be fixed by 8 business days upon receipt of the camera. Camera got there in 2 days (Aug 14, 2 bd) and after several calls only logged the thing in yesterday. No repairs started, no attempts to fix the situation, nothing.

It's one thing to make a mistake or have troubles that are unforeseen, but drat.

From what I'm told they're having lots of issues, do if you have to send something in for repair, good luck.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

WugLyfe posted:

So the day after this post, I contacted Ricoh for repair covered by warranty. They told me to wait until Aug 10 to send it out because they were changing service centers to a place in CT.

So, like a moron, I did. They guaranteed the aperture lever would be fixed by 8 business days upon receipt of the camera. Camera got there in 2 days (Aug 14, 2 bd) and after several calls only logged the thing in yesterday. No repairs started, no attempts to fix the situation, nothing.

It's one thing to make a mistake or have troubles that are unforeseen, but drat.

From what I'm told they're having lots of issues, do if you have to send something in for repair, good luck.

I have to send in my K3 to get repaired. I tried sending it to a different authorized repair place, but they couldn't fix it. So I have to send it to the new service center as well. They mentioned to me that they were going to be backed up because of the switch to the new facility.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I have to send in my K3 to get repaired. I tried sending it to a different authorized repair place, but they couldn't fix it. So I have to send it to the new service center as well. They mentioned to me that they were going to be backed up because of the switch to the new facility.

If they had told me before that it was going to be this long I'dve just had it repaired locally.

I love being without a camera for going on 2 months. Thanks Ricoh :waycool:

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

WugLyfe posted:

If they had told me before that it was going to be this long I'dve just had it repaired locally.

I love being without a camera for going on 2 months. Thanks Ricoh :waycool:

Yea, it sucks. I'm just happy that I have a film camera to use my lenses with for now. Though it looks like I may need to rent a k3 and a couple lenses for a wedding in about a month :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So I got my camera back today. They didn't even try to fix it. They gave it a clean and sent it back.

Un. loving. Believable.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 19, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This thread is kind of dead right now, so here's some thoughts from a Saturday afternoon. Pentax has a bit of a history of oddball decision-making showing up in their product lines, from uncommon focal lengths like the M-120mm/2.8 or the DA-20-40mm/2.8-4 to the coloured bodies and lenses starting with the K-M/K2000 in 2009. Not surprisingly, they are continuing this weirdness with the newest fashion offerings.

Some people will complain about these trends as indicative that Pentax cameras are not for "serious" shooters, and anyway given their market position (well behind Sony as well as Canon/Nikon for consumer and "prosumer" DSLRs, and not really comparable at the fully-pro level due to lack of full-frame offerings), Pentax is a waste of time if you want to be taken seriously by other photographers. Leaving aside the utter emptiness and nonsense of this line of argument (what matters for a photographer is the photographs they produce, nothing else (except maybe personal behaviour / ethics, sensu Terry Richardson)), I am encouraged by the continuing Pentax oddness.

For one, it shows Ricoh isn't laying a heavy management hand on Pentax as a subordinate corporation. Ricoh is apparently happy to let Pentax's upper management throw crazy ideas at the wall to see what sticks. Second, hordes of people who I probably don't want to talk to spending money on Pentax gear in no way diminishes my enjoyment of my own camera; how does it harm me that vapid Japanese teenagers spend their cash on pink cameras?. Third, this cash infusion from weirdness keeps Pentax going forward with weirdness in general, some of which includes items I very much would like to buy, and I'm happy that Pentax feels they can continue to offer such things as the FA* 200mm/4 Macro (possibly bad example for this line of argument - that lens is discontinued. A weathersealed DA* or HD version would be nice, though). Who's the real weirdo, somebody like me who yes, very much would like to take 1:1 photos of bees and whatnot from half a metre away, or the person who has no interest in such things AND verbally abuses those who do?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

Some people will complain about these trends as indicative that Pentax cameras are not for "serious" shooters, and anyway given their market position (well behind Sony as well as Canon/Nikon for consumer and "prosumer" DSLRs, and not really comparable at the fully-pro level due to lack of full-frame offerings), Pentax is a waste of time if you want to be taken seriously by other photographers. Leaving aside the utter emptiness and nonsense of this line of argument (what matters for a photographer is the photographs they produce, nothing else (except maybe personal behaviour / ethics, sensu Terry Richardson)), I am encouraged by the continuing Pentax oddness.

There's a rather obvious explanation for that, which is :japan:. Crazy anime-colored camera bodies sell well in Glorious Nippon, and that's a market Pentax panders to pretty hard. See also: the Pentax Q, which is a joke everywhere except :japan:, where it sells rather well to Japanese housewives.

Much more concerning is that Pentax's idea of innovation tends to be "let's take last year's body and put LEDs on the front" or "let's take last year's lenses and make the coating marginally better", while there's incredibly obvious holes in their lineup (full frame body, the dearth of "pro" quality lenses, their lineup of hand-me-down lens designs from the 90s, etc).

Taken as a whole, it indicates that Pentax isn't really putting in the R&D work they need to in order to really excel, they're just iterating on past designs to pump as much cash from their (somehow) rabidly loyal fan-base.

Their APS-C bodies are decent, and they do have some nice features. The 645 lineup is pretty great and they're clearly putting in some work there. But there's nothing between the $1000 consumer-grade bodies and the $9000 MF bodies. Same thing for glass - they don't have the f/2.8 fast zooms and f/1.4 primes, just junk left over from the 90s. The Ltd lenses are nice, but a collection of pancakes isn't enough by itself. That one's real puzzling to me since it seems like high-end glass would be a high-margin item.

I feel like FF sensors re about where APS-C sensors were when I bought my 40D (2009ish?) - they're starting to become mainstream consumer products rather than niche professional or high-end prosumer products. Pentax just isn't in a position to sell FF products, and after they finish designing a body and updating their FF lineup they will be even farther behind.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 26, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Surprised the thread hasn't been renamed the Ricoh thread (and sent to the gas chamber) yet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
We already have a Ricoh thread - it's the Pentax ME superiority thread that you started!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I bought a ME Super the other weekend, rather I bought a lens and the ME Super came for free. :yayclod:
Just a heads up, Amazon's got the 35mm f/2.4 for ~$145 and the price has been going down steadily for the last couple weeks. B&H's price is still ~$190.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Got the DA 50mm f/1.4 for Christmas, been enjoying that. Nothing thread-worthy to post (yet).

Anyone have any good recommendations on a wide-angle K-mount lens? A quick search on KEH shows the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 for $359 as a decent option by my reckoning, but I don't know the particulars of buying wide lenses.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

zgrowler2 posted:

Got the DA 50mm f/1.4 for Christmas, been enjoying that. Nothing thread-worthy to post (yet).

Anyone have any good recommendations on a wide-angle K-mount lens? A quick search on KEH shows the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 for $359 as a decent option by my reckoning, but I don't know the particulars of buying wide lenses.

If you don't mind spending the money, either the Pentax 12-24 or the 15mm ltd are fantastic lenses. I think the sigma 10-20 is supposed to be better than the tamron, though I don't know too much on that front. I have a DA 14mm and my only real complaint with it is that the pictures come out pretty flat in terms of color representation.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
PentaxForums did a fairly comprehensive 3-way comparison a few years ago:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/wide-angle-zoom-review-and-comparison.html

And the Sigma 8-16mm is available in K-mount: http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sigma-8-16mm-f45-56-dc-hsm/review.html

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

I'll keep these in mind, thanks! Can't afford to get one for some time, but it'll be good to snag one before going on any outdoors-y vacation.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Reviving this thread to say that pentax has announced a full frame camera and 2 full frame lenses.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-full-frame-officially-coming-cpplus-2015.html

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Reviving this thread to say that pentax has announced a full frame camera and 2 full frame lenses.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-full-frame-officially-coming-cpplus-2015.html

:pusheen:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HolyDukeNukem posted:

:vince:

two-year savings plan is go

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Excellent. I like the two new lenses announced as well - a weather-sealed 70-200/2.8 is high on my list of wants. It's going to cost a lot more than I'll be able to afford any time soon, but I still appreciate that it exists for me to lust after. Plus, once the FF body hits the shops, lots of K-3 owners will be dropping their used cameras onto the 2nd-hand market. I really like the K-3, so this works out very well from my point of view.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That concept design they've got kicking about looks like a little 67, just needs to come with a wood grip.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Oh poo poo.

A cool thing I noticed in there is that the new lenses have autofocus buttons on the barrel at every 90 degrees. Do other lenses have this? It's the first I've seen of something like that, but I honestly haven't looked, and not at Nikon or Canon stuff

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Oh poo poo.

A cool thing I noticed in there is that the new lenses have autofocus buttons on the barrel at every 90 degrees. Do other lenses have this? It's the first I've seen of something like that, but I honestly haven't looked, and not at Nikon or Canon stuff

The only nikon lens I've heard of with that is the 70-200 vr zoom.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
All the Sony and Minolta G telephotos have focus hold buttons at 90 degree intervals, whether they're primes or zooms. Zeiss lenses have a single focus hold button.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

I'm a little worried about the Pentax FF. I love my K-5 to bits, and I would love a full frame version. However, it's not enough to have a good camera with good lenses. Sony couldn't make FF DSLRs work, from a marketing perspective. Their cameras were fine, but they never had the professional services offered by Canikon, and they had no whiz-bang feature to bring customers to their side.

My question is, what will Pentax bring to the table that Canikon and Sony don't already? Canikon dominates in DSLRs, and Sony already does very well making affordable FF mirrorless cameras.

My thoughts: Pentax can't make a FF DSLR cheaper than a 6D, nor can they compete with Canikon's professional services. However, what Pentax can offer is in-body stabilization, effective WR, and a choice lineup of quality lenses, with no duds*. The target audience for a Pentax FF DSLR should be enthusiasts looking for a seamless photography experience, with no gimmicks. Pentax can win if they focus on compact-ish, sturdy, WR cameras with a choice lineup of 1) inexpensive but good value WR lenses, 2) high-end DA* and Limited lenses for rich nerds, and 3) a red carpet rolled out for people who want to use ancient K-mount lenses, complete with a focus on making the use of old lenses as easy as humanly possible. Even though Pentax would make most of its money on people buying new lenses, it would be wise for them to emphasize the fact that your local Goodwill stocks more than enough old lenses to get you started.

*except for the 20-40 lolololololol

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hey it's still alive. Anyone handle the HD 21mm? How do you like it?

TheWeepingHorse posted:

*except for the 20-40 lolololololol

At least it's not 1k anymore!

I'm not sure who's left to buy an FF Pentax either. They could come out of left field and de-gimp the mount. If they offered finder screen choices too, that'd definitely win them points with older enthusiasts. Which has got to be who's left, although how many of them have moved on to Fuji/whatever by now?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

If you've looked at comparison's with some other Pentax cameras, it's about the same size as the k-3. They've also mentioned that they may de-cripple the mount since apparently they lacked room in their aps-c lineup. I am generally curious as to what they bring with this camera. But at this point I really want a camera that utilizes my FA ltds at a non cropped form. It would be really cool to see them update the FA ltds with weathersealing, a DC motor, and updated coatings. Even if they were slightly bigger, it would be worth looking into.

I don't think they'll ever truly compete with Canon or Nikon. That's wishful thinking at best to be honest. But I think there will be a contingent of Pentax users who will buy this thing, and I'm probably going to be one of them. Mainly because I want to be able to use my FA ltds with autofocus and get a Pentax 67 at some point.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sitting in an internet forum in North America is a terrible place to be guessing market strategies for Japanese camera companies. What HolyDukeNukem said may be 100% true - I have no reason to doubt that Canon and Nikon consistently outperform Sony and Pentax among working professional photographers for reasons relating to business-to-business transactions and long-term working relationships - but there must be a zillion other factors at play. So many cameras released in the last few years have been giant "What the gently caress were they thinking?" from here, but they start to make sense when you consider the home market of these companies - Japan has 160 million people, so if the stereotypes are even 1% true, there are millions of vapid scene kids and bored, depressed, lonely housewives in the country. A few hundred thousand professionals (and semi-professionals, and aspirational amateurs) in North America are obviously an attractive market, but are far from the only market segment these companies can pursue.

The flipside is this large domestic market of "regular people" (i.e., non-enthusiasts) works exactly the same for any large-scale manufacturer - they can siphon off 0.1% of the revenue from the mass market for special projects targetted at the smaller number of higher-spending enthusiasts. So as long as Pentax (Ricoh) keeps up appearances as having some interest in continuing to produce really good stuff (I love my K-5, too, and the current and recent lens line-up is full of very attractive things), I'll be happy to see them crank out a million iterations at a million copies each of random P&S and mirrorless cameras.

EDIT: I really want to try a 20-40 for a couple of days. The reviews are insanely good for that lens, either there's some psychological thing going on ("I paid $1K for a weird lens. It must be the best thing EVAR!") or it's actually surprisingly good. If the latter, I'm leaning towards the explanation having to do with limitations and creativity. The way walking around all day with one prime always seems to lead to people raving about their increased creativity, working around the restriction.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm looking at getting a flash for my ME Super, and KEH has an excellent condition Vivitar 550FD for $9. What I'm wondering is, will I fry my K-50 if I try to use the flash on it too? I can't seem to find a maximum allowable trigger voltage for the K-50.

• Locked thread