Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/5019496097.html

Yeah, I already have an ME Super and an MX. And it would be a little out of the way. But I'm still tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Get it. The Vivitar flash is a solid workhorse, and what's not to like about collecting all the Pentaxes?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rotten Cookies posted:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/5019496097.html

Yeah, I already have an ME Super and an MX. And it would be a little out of the way. But I'm still tempted.

Get it or I will. That's less than an hour from me and it's pretty nice out.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

Get it or I will. That's less than an hour from me and it's pretty nice out.

You should do it. With my new job, I find less and less time for photography, sadly. Plus, I have a pretty good condition MX and a pretty good ME super. Do it, dude!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those are horribly weaksauce excuses, Rotten Cookies. Lack of time? "Pretty good" existing gear? Pshaw! You have a NEW JOB, spend some of that NEW MONEY on OLD poo poo.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I'm saving up money for a bigma or an old 500mm f/4.5 monster. If that counts and makes you happy.

I don't think I'd even mind the manual focus, since I do that anyway with birds. And I don't really feel I need a zoom. I'm going to be at the long end of the bigma anyway, and probably still cropping.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm saving up money for a bigma or an old 500mm f/4.5 monster. If that counts and makes you happy.

That DOES make me happy. My old 500mm f/4.5 monster is my second-favourite dong-shaped object.

Get a cheap Chinese gimbal-head to go with it, like this one from DX if they get more in stock. And a 200mm (or so) QR plate to bolt permanently to the supertele.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ExecuDork posted:

Those are horribly weaksauce excuses, Rotten Cookies. Lack of time? "Pretty good" existing gear? Pshaw! You have a NEW JOB, spend some of that NEW MONEY on OLD poo poo.

That is new in the box old poo poo, which is even cooler.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

nm posted:

That is new in the box old poo poo, which is even cooler.

All the more reason for tribbledirigible to get it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

That DOES make me happy. My old 500mm f/4.5 monster is my second-favourite dong-shaped object.

Get a cheap Chinese gimbal-head to go with it, like this one from DX if they get more in stock. And a 200mm (or so) QR plate to bolt permanently to the supertele.

I got the giant-rear end lens. Yes, I AM compensating for tiny cock. Tiny American WOODcock that I will be photographing soon, hopefully. Of course I haven't gotten an m42 to K mount adapter yet, but I wasn't expecting a package to get from Japan to New York in 3 fuckin' days.

I didn't realize how goddamn big this thing is. And heavy. Like I should get that gimbal head and just mount that to a boulder.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

I got the giant-rear end lens.

I didn't realize how goddamn big this thing is. And heavy. Like I should get that gimbal head and just mount that to a boulder.

:hfive:

It is a MONSTER. And made out of fun. It's a blast to shoot with it, even if it feels like your arms are going to fall off. Plus, you get great funny looks from "regular people" when you pull it out and start shooting.

I keep looking at car-window mounts and trying to decide if I'm willing to risk breaking a window just to get a shot of a raptor on a fencepost.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Looking at the 70mm DA but then I saw some "my lens fell apart in my hands" threads, is there any rhyme or reason to which lenses don't have threadlock on their set screws? Do I learn to stop worrying and love the limited?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I haven't seen any pattern in the stories of lens failures. I usually assume the broken lens was badly abused, disassembled by an unqualified person*, or is actually an old 3rd party lens that somebody bought at a flee market.

If there is a problem with QA/QC on a particular lens model line I'm sure confident Pentax (Ricoh) solved the problem a while ago.

So yeah, stop worrying and learn to love the Limiteds - or the HD updates that replaced some of them (like the HD pancakes, including the 70mm).

*I know this happens because I've done it. I foolishly and ineptly took apart my 28-105 Vivitar and now it's in much worse shape than before I picked up that screwdriver.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I haven't seen any pattern in the stories of lens failures. I usually assume the broken lens was badly abused, disassembled by an unqualified person*, or is actually an old 3rd party lens that somebody bought at a flee market.

If there is a problem with QA/QC on a particular lens model line I'm sure confident Pentax (Ricoh) solved the problem a while ago.

So yeah, stop worrying and learn to love the Limiteds - or the HD updates that replaced some of them (like the HD pancakes, including the 70mm).

*I know this happens because I've done it. I foolishly and ineptly took apart my 28-105 Vivitar and now it's in much worse shape than before I picked up that screwdriver.

My gran worked in QC then repairs for an optics company and would bring home horror shows sometimes, I'd never make an attempt on even a simple lens let alone clutched AF.
I ended up finding one and am liking it so far, obligatory cat photo-

It's a lot quicker focusing than the XS 40mm on the K-01 which is nice. Does make me kind of want a K5ii now but I know I don't need it.
Shame about your old S1 28-105mm, that was a great bit of kit. I kept one as my main walking around lens for a long time. Rendered very nice on kodak vps.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My Vivitar zoom is sitting mounted on my K10D in a box, my (entirely sentiment-driven) plan is to find an independent camera repair shop that offers a body+1 lens package deal. Certainly this will cost considerably more than that camera and that lens are worth, but I have about a million happy memories of walking around with that setup.

Zoom creep aside, it's a really lovely lens. I have often thought about putting together an entirely Vivitar Series 1 camera bag in K-mount, with a K-m or K-x in some obnoxious colour for days when I feel like shooting that way. I figure I could do this for around $600 if I stick to a 3-zoom kit.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Just wanted to mention that it took almost an entire year, but my Pentax 77mm ltd is finally fixed and shipping back! Precision camera and Ricoh are really goddamn annoying, this shouldn't have taken this long, but apparently Precision had to wait months for parts from Ricoh. Precision also didn't even tell me they shipped the lens until UPS told me that it's being delivered tomorrow.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Just wanted to mention that it took almost an entire year, but my Pentax 77mm ltd is finally fixed and shipping back! Precision camera and Ricoh are really goddamn annoying, this shouldn't have taken this long, but apparently Precision had to wait months for parts from Ricoh. Precision also didn't even tell me they shipped the lens until UPS told me that it's being delivered tomorrow.

Yeah, mine wound up going over 6 months, and they ended up giving me a K-50 to get me to stop calling about what should have been a 15-20minute fix. Sold it immediately and most of my glass, though I can't get rid of an 85mm f/1.4 Rokinon MF.

Lesson learned was buying from smaller companies tend to net lovely CS results. As much as I love Pentax I'll never go back until that's not the case.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

WugLyfe posted:

Yeah, mine wound up going over 6 months, and they ended up giving me a K-50 to get me to stop calling about what should have been a 15-20minute fix. Sold it immediately and most of my glass, though I can't get rid of an 85mm f/1.4 Rokinon MF.

Lesson learned was buying from smaller companies tend to net lovely CS results. As much as I love Pentax I'll never go back until that's not the case.

Very true, I just love my pentax glass so much and I have so much of it that I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting rid of all of it. In the 5 or 6 years of owning Pentax equipment this was the first time I needed to send something in. If Ricoh had been more responsive about sending out parts, this wouldn't have been anywhere near an issue. I have been really tempted to get an A7R II, but that is a lot of money for not much improvement. But I did buy another ME super since my other one broke.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I have a mild obsession with Pentax equipment.

Pentax 6x7 with 55mm f4 and 165mm f2.8

Pentax me super with 43mm ltd, 77mm ltd, and tak 70-200

Pentax k3 with 35mm f2.4, 50mm f1.7, 12-24mm f4, 14mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4, and 18-135mm

Just bought the 6x7 and waiting on some film to come in so I can play with it. A lot bigger and heavier than I expected (so used to the limited lenses haha)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I have a mild obsession with Pentax equipment.
Just bought the 6x7 and waiting on some film to come in so I can play with it. A lot bigger and heavier than I expected (so used to the limited lenses haha)

If you don't mind me asking How much did that 6x7 + lenses run you? I've been eyeballing them on ebay recently and see a bit of variation on the prices. I want to get a medium format camera to round out my arsenal.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

akadajet posted:

If you don't mind me asking How much did that 6x7 + lenses run you? I've been eyeballing them on ebay recently and see a bit of variation on the prices. I want to get a medium format camera to round out my arsenal.

I payed $212 including shipping for the camera. $159 for the 55mm and $138 for the 165mm. All in all not too bad for what should be a good kit. The 55mm is the newer 67 version (not the 6x7 version). Supposed to have better designed optics. I actually bought the entire kit off of ebay. The only thing left I really want to get is that wood grip!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

The only thing left I really want to get is that wood grip!

Hell yeah!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

akadajet posted:

Hell yeah!

I'm probably gonna just get it from keh. It honestly is about the price I'm seeing on ebay and I don't have to deal with shipping from outside the US.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Hey Pentaxians. I have a K-50 (which I love) and I have a bunch of garage sale lenses, which seem to work well on aperture priority. Only thing that I don't understand, is the light meter does not work with any of them. On AP the camera knows how to expose the picture right, regardless if its F22 or F4... Yes it will not show me on the meter what it's thinking. I can set it to manual, and keep taking shots until i get the exposure right, but its really annoying. Have I messed up a setting somewhere?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Rodney Chops posted:

Hey Pentaxians. I have a K-50 (which I love) and I have a bunch of garage sale lenses, which seem to work well on aperture priority. Only thing that I don't understand, is the light meter does not work with any of them. On AP the camera knows how to expose the picture right, regardless if its F22 or F4... Yes it will not show me on the meter what it's thinking. I can set it to manual, and keep taking shots until i get the exposure right, but its really annoying. Have I messed up a setting somewhere?

This guide should help:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter-manual-m42-lenses-all-pentax-dslrs-k-5-k-r-k-x-k-7-a.html

Basically your gonna need to use the green button to determine exposure since the lens isn't sending aperture data to the camera.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah it's actually easier to use M42 lenses than K stuff IMO. Early KA lenses I've had sometimes are loose enough that the camera will go back and forth between seeing it and not. Frustrated me enough to stick with KAF/DA lenses or M42.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sorry guys, I'm hopping ship for a Sony a7II and selling all my Pentax stuff. Plays taps, it was nice knowing you, etc etc etc.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

HolyDukeNukem posted:

This guide should help:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter-manual-m42-lenses-all-pentax-dslrs-k-5-k-r-k-x-k-7-a.html

Basically your gonna need to use the green button to determine exposure since the lens isn't sending aperture data to the camera.

Thanks! Very useful.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I payed $212 including shipping for the camera. $159 for the 55mm and $138 for the 165mm. All in all not too bad for what should be a good kit. The 55mm is the newer 67 version (not the 6x7 version). Supposed to have better designed optics. I actually bought the entire kit off of ebay. The only thing left I really want to get is that wood grip!

Those are all pretty great prices. There's been a noticeable increase in the price of P67 gear over the past couple years. It's probably my all-time favorite camera system. I admit that I haven't tried Hasselblads but I think it could only be a lateral sidegrade at best.

I think the wood grip is helpful, personally. One downside is the weight, there's no getting around the fact that it's one heavy-rear end camera.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Those are all pretty great prices. There's been a noticeable increase in the price of P67 gear over the past couple years. It's probably my all-time favorite camera system. I admit that I haven't tried Hasselblads but I think it could only be a lateral sidegrade at best.

I think the wood grip is helpful, personally. One downside is the weight, there's no getting around the fact that it's one heavy-rear end camera.

Thanks, I just ran through my first roll and so far have been extremely impressed with it! I posted some of the pictures in the medium format thread. I knew going in that this was gonna be on the heavy side. Just wasn't expecting the heft once I got it haha.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rodney Chops posted:

Which garage sale lenses do you have? I love old glass, it's one of the main reasons I went with Pentax in the first place.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So, reading through the "My First DSLR" thread, they recommended a K-30 if going the Pentax route. I noticed one for sale:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/hamilton/pentax-k30-18-55-wr-lens-55-200mm-wr-lens/1105904065?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Any thoughts on what a reasonable price is for one of these used in decent shape? Initially I'd be tempted to go with a Canon, but I realize I do not have steady hands. So having the optical stabilizing in the camera and always available would be nice.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Golluk posted:

So, reading through the "My First DSLR" thread, they recommended a K-30 if going the Pentax route. I noticed one for sale:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/hamilton/pentax-k30-18-55-wr-lens-55-200mm-wr-lens/1105904065?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Any thoughts on what a reasonable price is for one of these used in decent shape? Initially I'd be tempted to go with a Canon, but I realize I do not have steady hands. So having the optical stabilizing in the camera and always available would be nice.
Read the reviews (with a grain of salt) on PentaxForums.com, the consensus there is that the K-30 is a great camera and I know there are a few goons here who would probably agree. As for price, the asking price of $575CDN seems more-or-less reasonable, you could try offering $500 (the ad says "OBO") and see what happens. That's a pretty good starter kit, the kit zoom lenses it comes with are decent and are almost certainly what that seller got when they bought it new, and I'm guessing they paid something like $800CDN.

If you're eager to get started, I say go for it. If you're feeling patient you could wait a bit and see if either that seller lowers the price or if something else pops up. The Canadian dollar is in terrible shape right now otherwise I'd say go looking on eBay or KEH. There's an Ontario seller on PentaxForums named "MightyMike" or something similar that always seems to have fun old manual-focus lenses for sale. There are no K-30 going right now on PF for anything reasonable for you (in my opinion) but that's a worthwhile marketplace to lurk.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Golluk posted:

My girlfriend shoots with a k-50 (I shoot with a k3-II and k5iis) and the k-50 is super nice. I'm not very familiar with the Canadian dollar but I checked Amazon.ca and saw a brand new k-50 with the 18-55 for under $500. The 50-200 is ok, but it's really nothing to write home about. If you could find a used 55-300mm it's a much nicer lens with longer focal length at the end to boot.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Thorpe posted:

My girlfriend shoots with a k-50 (I shoot with a k3-II and k5iis) and the k-50 is super nice. I'm not very familiar with the Canadian dollar but I checked Amazon.ca and saw a brand new k-50 with the 18-55 for under $500. The 50-200 is ok, but it's really nothing to write home about. If you could find a used 55-300mm it's a much nicer lens with longer focal length at the end to boot.

Plus the newest revision of the 55-300 has weathersealing! Though I wish it had the DC motor, since it is a lot quieter.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

70mm ltd is half off at b&h right now, ~370. Many lenses are at least 30% off.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And the CanuckBuck has hit a new low. :smith:

Otherwise I'd be throwing my money at B&H, they've treated me well in the past.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm pretty much set for lenses with the exception of the 31mm LTD. I can't really afford to spend that kind of money at this point though and I've mostly been shooting my Pentax 6x7.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Pentax have finally confirmed their first full-frame and the Pentax thread is archived due to a lack of anyone giving a crap...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
More breaking news: I can't read.

The K-1 isn't a camera I'll buy, but hopefully the mix of features at that price will put pressure on Canikon.

• Locked thread