Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I absolutely love the spec sheet of the K-1, but even though I don't really do video stuff at all it kind of blows my mind that it can't do 1080p60. I'll still end up buying one later on this year though I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I really want everyone who has a K-3 to jump on the K-1 and go full-frame and start posting sneering/whining comments about Canikon and "we were always in this top league but now we can point at this arbitrary sensor size so I feel gooder now".

Then sell your K-3 to me. For pennies on the dollar because you're so goddam happy with your new FF toy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't really feel the need to upgrade to a full frame since most things i want to shoot are far away and I'd just be cropping all that extra room away.

But I mean, if people are gonna jump ship and leave crop sensor Pentaxes cheaper, yeah, cool. I'll take it. Like ExecuDork said.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I love my K-3. I really see no reason to spend that kind of money though on a camera anymore. It's gonna be bigger than my k-3 and the lenses are gonna be bigger, which means that if I'm bringing my 6x7 and my k-1, I'm gonna destroy my back. At this point, I really want a mirrorless with decent video capability. I would love to have one that can autofocus my limited lenses too, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Why hasn't someone created an autofocus module for sony or fuji mirrorless that works with screwdrive? Is the motor that big?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The K-1's Pixel-shift does look rather nice for still life shooting. It needs an independent test against Canikony's high res options shooting the same scene, but it has to be a serious contender for that niche.

...off
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_off.jpg.

..on
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_on.jpg

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The K-1's Pixel-shift does look rather nice for still life shooting. It needs an independent test against Canikony's high res options shooting the same scene, but it has to be a serious contender for that niche.

...off
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_off.jpg.

..on
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_on.jpg

I know Olympus gets a lot of praise for their IBIS, but I would definitely say that Pentax probably has a comparable product. The fact that they can use it as an anti-aliasing filter says heaps for the shake reduction system.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I know Olympus gets a lot of praise for their IBIS, but I would definitely say that Pentax probably has a comparable product. The fact that they can use it as an anti-aliasing filter says heaps for the shake reduction system.

Also, astrotrace is a killer feature if you're into astrophotography. I do wonder how bad vignetting will be through a FF-native-sized mount during long astrotrace exposures at high shake-tabel excursion though.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I need some lens advice (or a nudge). I've got a K5 with the a kit 18-55 from my old K-x, an FA-50 and an FA-35. I'm planning a trip to Iceland and will want to take many, many photos mostly at wide angles so I'd like to replace the 18-55.

From what I can see my options are the DA 16-85 F3.5-5.6 (599 EUR) or the DA 16-50 F2.8 (899 EUR) which are both weatherproof which I'm happy about. I can't see any really compelling reason to pay the extra for the F2.8 with less range when I'm already used to a slower zoom and I have the primes on hand anyway. Is there anything else I should be considering?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Destroyenator posted:

I need some lens advice (or a nudge). I've got a K5 with the a kit 18-55 from my old K-x, an FA-50 and an FA-35. I'm planning a trip to Iceland and will want to take many, many photos mostly at wide angles so I'd like to replace the 18-55.

From what I can see my options are the DA 16-85 F3.5-5.6 (599 EUR) or the DA 16-50 F2.8 (899 EUR) which are both weatherproof which I'm happy about. I can't see any really compelling reason to pay the extra for the F2.8 with less range when I'm already used to a slower zoom and I have the primes on hand anyway. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Why not look into the 12-24 as well? Are you looking for a complete replacement of the 18-55? Because I owned the 16-50 and it is a really good lens. Very contrasty and produces fantastic images. But if I wanted a wide angle, I'd either go with the 15mm ltd or the 12-24.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pentax's variable-aperture zooms suffer unusually badly from being really soft wide-open at any point in their zoom range. I've got a K-5 / 18-55 combo too, and I never take pictures more open than f/8 if I can possibly avoid it. I've never used the 16-85, but I would expect it to behave similarly. So the big advantage, from what I can see, of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 is an actually useable aperture range that presumably goes to f/4 at worst through the zoom range. That's 2 full stops better than your 18-55. That's the next lens I'll probably buy, assuming my personal finances ever recover from my personal irresponsibilities.

Of course, Iceland is a bit of an easier case for a darker lens, because most of your shots will be outdoors during the daytime, or long-exposure shots on a tripod where you're going to be stopped way down anyways.

Pentaxforums did a 3-way comparison of some ultra-wide zooms, here. Something like a 12-24 is a good option if you're going to be taking lots of landscape shots (you're going to Iceland, you're taking lots of landscape shots).

You're used to primes from the looks of things (you actually use those FA lenses, right?), so you could consider something like a 14mm (weather sealing not available at that focal length) or a 15mm.

Wandering off-topic, do you have any interest in narrower focal-length lenses? Your tightest lens is your 18-55, and the 85mm at the 16-85's long end isn't really that long. If you're willing to buy used, you could find an A-series 70-210 zoom (from Pentax or one of the 3rd-party manufacturers) for around $200 (I'm guessing about 150EUR, depending on local market), or an autofocus F- or FA-series for a bit more. Tele-landscapes are an underappreciated sub-genre of photos, in my opinion.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Pentax's variable-aperture zooms suffer unusually badly from being really soft wide-open at any point in their zoom range. I've got a K-5 / 18-55 combo too, and I never take pictures more open than f/8 if I can possibly avoid it. I've never used the 16-85, but I would expect it to behave similarly. So the big advantage, from what I can see, of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 is an actually useable aperture range that presumably goes to f/4 at worst through the zoom range. That's 2 full stops better than your 18-55. That's the next lens I'll probably buy, assuming my personal finances ever recover from my personal irresponsibilities.

Of course, Iceland is a bit of an easier case for a darker lens, because most of your shots will be outdoors during the daytime, or long-exposure shots on a tripod where you're going to be stopped way down anyways.

Pentaxforums did a 3-way comparison of some ultra-wide zooms, here. Something like a 12-24 is a good option if you're going to be taking lots of landscape shots (you're going to Iceland, you're taking lots of landscape shots).

You're used to primes from the looks of things (you actually use those FA lenses, right?), so you could consider something like a 14mm (weather sealing not available at that focal length) or a 15mm.

Wandering off-topic, do you have any interest in narrower focal-length lenses? Your tightest lens is your 18-55, and the 85mm at the 16-85's long end isn't really that long. If you're willing to buy used, you could find an A-series 70-210 zoom (from Pentax or one of the 3rd-party manufacturers) for around $200 (I'm guessing about 150EUR, depending on local market), or an autofocus F- or FA-series for a bit more. Tele-landscapes are an underappreciated sub-genre of photos, in my opinion.

The other option for a tele lens would be the 55-300. It has the added bonus of having quieter zooming and weather sealing (at least in the HD version) plus it apparently is a great lens for the money and has longer reach.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Yeah, I was thinking to replace at least most of the range of the 18-55 which is why I hadn't looked at anything wider. On my last visit to a new city I just used the 35 as my walk around and didn't swap back to the 18-55 that was with me the whole time, but there were a couple of occasions I could've used a bit more reach on it. I hadn't really considered a wide prime because it seems so limited but I'd probably really enjoy it and it would suit what I'm doing.

In terms of longer, I don't find I need to go much beyond the reach of the 18-55. Not sure why, it just hasn't come up. I did have a big, old, off brand push-pull-twist zoom/focus 70-200 (edit: I may be misremembering that range but it was certainly much longer than the 18-55) I picked up cheaply at one point which was a lot of fun but never very useful.

I'll look into those primes and the 12-24s, thanks for the input both of you.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Soo, did anyone actually get their hands on a K1?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Startyde posted:

Soo, did anyone actually get their hands on a K1?

Nope, though I have thought about it a bit. Mostly been focusing on film for the most part.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have plans to buy a Pentax Q-S1. Talk me out of it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ned posted:

They're very very small and you can get them in hot pink. That's all I got.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ned posted:

Unless you're planning on using it for birding, there are a lot more options that will perform better. An older rx100 will blow the pants off of a q-series camera. Getting an older m4/3 will only be slightly bigger, but have a better lens selection and better performance in every way. You could also get an older pentax dslr and it will perform better with a larger lens selection. The q series is an incredibly niche product that you have to search hard to find yourself seeing it as useful.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Karl Barks posted:

They're very very small and you can get them in hot pink. That's all I got.

That is why I want one! Also they are really cheap.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I'm a happy K-50 owner and aspiring K-mount lens collector. Some new ones came in the mail today but I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet. In order of acquisition date:

SMC DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR Kit lens
SMC -M 50mm f/2
SMC -M 28mm f/2.8
SMC DA ltd 40mm f/2.8 pancake
SMC 50 f/1.4
Takumar 135mm f/2.8

Here's a photo I took the other day with my 50/2.0. Can't wait to try out the new lenses!

Anyway the K-1 seems awesome; somebody buy it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

is this the ricoh thread as well, since pentax is owned by ricoh? i want them to release a new GR god drat it. I want a flip up screen so I can shoot from my waist/stomach easily.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm planning* to buy a new-to-me lens soon, and the only lenses I want at the moment all cost about the same - around $1300CAD new locally, or around $1100 from someplace like B&H. Used prices are hard to figure out, but there's not much of a discount available for DA*-series lenses - eBay is full of idiocy (even more so than normal, it seems), PentaxForums marketplace doesn't have these somewhat uncommon lenses available at the moment, and I'm a little surprised by what's happening at KEH - their prices are shockingly reasonable.

The three I'm considering:
DA* 16-50mm/2.8
DA* 50-135/2.8
DA* 300/4

I've never had a good lens before, and I've never used a lens with SDM autofocus.

Anybody who has / had / has borrowed one of these, thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I'm planning* to buy a new-to-me lens soon, and the only lenses I want at the moment all cost about the same - around $1300CAD new locally, or around $1100 from someplace like B&H. Used prices are hard to figure out, but there's not much of a discount available for DA*-series lenses - eBay is full of idiocy (even more so than normal, it seems), PentaxForums marketplace doesn't have these somewhat uncommon lenses available at the moment, and I'm a little surprised by what's happening at KEH - their prices are shockingly reasonable.

The three I'm considering:
DA* 16-50mm/2.8
DA* 50-135/2.8
DA* 300/4

I've never had a good lens before, and I've never used a lens with SDM autofocus.

Anybody who has / had / has borrowed one of these, thoughts?

I've never used the 300 mm. But i really liked the other two. They are extremely contrasty and take wonderful photos. I have found the 50-135 can have slow autofocus. I think if you decide to get one of those it will come down to which focal length fits you best.

• Locked thread