Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

Whitechapel is the section of London where Jack the Ripper killed people :ssh:

But on the subject, I've just recently gotten more into stuff like Attack! Attack! and Confide... anyone know of other decent "crab-core" bands like them?

I forgot that people can't hear my ironic tone on the internet.

As for crabcore... House Vs Hurricane is probably one of the best bands of that scene out there... Otherwhise I'd suggest We Came as Romans, Sky Eats Airplanes and Horse the Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the new Darkest Hour is very underwhelming. Too many of the songs sound the same. I think I like Undoing Ruin the best, mostly because of the sweet solos and really catchy riffs. I haven't really given Deliver Us too many listens though.

I'm hoping the new Shadows Fall is a lot better than that pile of poo poo Threads of Life. Man that was awful. The War Within was loving sick though, I loved it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What the hell is crabcore? What does that infer?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the Bunt posted:

basically bands that sound like Attack Attack!, even though they aren't at all the originators of the style. however, they are the only band of that style with their very own meme.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

the Bunt posted:

The actual names are "Trendcore" or "NintendoCore", the genre is so ridiculous that there's not really a serious name for it yet. Musically, it's simply Metalcore or Deathcore, with the addition of electronica elements. Often, it takes the form of a keyboard with a 8-Bit sound, hence the name NintendoCore.
:goonsay:

The name Crabcore originates from the position of the bassist in an Attack Attack videoclip for Stick Stickly.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Converge - Jane Doe

Botch - We Are the Romans

Poison the Well - The Opposite of December

Three pages and no mentions of this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the phisH
Sep 1, 2006
You help me, and in turn, I am helped by you.
well converge and botch are literally what metalcore should be, hardcore with metal influences.

the definition of metalcore being used in this thread are more for bands like as I lay dying and such, bands with catchyish gothenberg style riffs, heavy use of breakdowns, and clean-singing. Converge and Both really have none of these things.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

the phisH posted:

well converge and botch are literally what metalcore should be, hardcore with metal influences.

the definition of metalcore being used in this thread are more for bands like as I lay dying and such, bands with catchyish gothenberg style riffs, heavy use of breakdowns, and clean-singing. Converge and Both really have none of these things.

I'm stoked as hell for the new Converge. Also, the new Narrows is pretty boss, if short.

There's a track here: http://www.myspace.com/narrows

If every metalcore band had Dave on vocals I would listen to each of them.

Also, I think someone mentioned them in the thread that inspired this one, but the new Cave In 12" is amazing:

http://planetsofold.com/

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Why not something like electro-core? I mean come on, crabcore? Nintendocore? I like some of the bands within this genre (and am a complete and utter HORSE the Band fanboy) but I never ever say I listen to Nintendocore....and would never ever say I listen to crabcore.

Come to think of it, I never say I listen to anything-core. I call it all metal, unless there are clean emo vocals and a bunch of breakdowns. Then I call it gay.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Cock Soup posted:

The actual names are "Trendcore" or "NintendoCore", the genre is so ridiculous that there's not really a serious name for it yet. Musically, it's simply Metalcore or Deathcore, with the addition of electronica elements. Often, it takes the form of a keyboard with a 8-Bit sound, hence the name NintendoCore.
:goonsay:

The name Crabcore originates from the position of the bassist in an Attack Attack videoclip for Stick Stickly.

I was going to announce that all Attack Attack discussion was banned in my thread, but this gif made it all worthwhile.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'm stoked as hell for the new Converge. Also, the new Narrows is pretty boss, if short.

There's a track here: http://www.myspace.com/narrows

If every metalcore band had Dave on vocals I would listen to each of them.

Also, I think someone mentioned them in the thread that inspired this one, but the new Cave In 12" is amazing:

http://planetsofold.com/

Is new Converge actually announced and featuring a release date, or is it just sort of a general idea that a new tape might be coming out?

edit:

the phisH posted:

note that it also says "whatever-core" in the title; any bands with a "core" in their subgenre name are welcome. :cool:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

MetaKaiser posted:

Also, a favorite of mine that I've seen locally a few times, but by no means a local band, We Came As Romans. Some of the breakdowns are just the sickest things I've ever heard and the clean vocals are actually very well done. Definitely worth checking out.

I'm playing a show with them Tuesday. :v:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

krustster posted:

Is new Converge actually announced and featuring a release date, or is it just sort of a general idea that a new tape might be coming out?

There's no title/tracklist as far as I know, but there was a video of an instrumental version of one of the new songs a while ago that sounded pretty sick. It showed them jamming while Jake was slouched in a corner writing lyrics.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

It's probably the same tour. Emarosa was supposed to play, but they got lost or something and never made it. I've never heard of them though, so it didn't bother me. The venue gave out vouchers to get in free the next time they come and play, which I swear they said was with ADTR and Parkway Drive, so seeing that for free is going to make it so much better.

Wow, well you and really everyone else in the world should check Emarosa out. They basically used to be a TDWP-style metalcore band but the old gay singer left to form Agraceful (lovely generic band) and Jonny Craig from Dance Gavin Dance came and joined up with them to form a beautiful and epic post-hardcore band to release their first real album, Relativity.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Converge always strikes me as one of those bands that everybody cites as a major influence on -core, but nobody actually likes.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

the Bunt posted:

I mean come on, crabcore? Nintendocore? I like some of the bands within this genre (and am a complete and utter HORSE the Band fanboy) but I never ever say I listen to Nintendocore....and would never ever say I listen to crabcore.

"Crabcore" is something phiz invented to make fun of attack attack, it's not really called that. However the band did run with it and now they're making shirts with "crabcore" on them.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Converge always strikes me as one of those bands that everybody cites as a major influence on -core, but nobody actually likes.

You are dead wrong and you need to stop hanging out with stupid people with bad taste

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShimaTetsuo posted:

You are dead wrong and you need to stop hanging out with stupid people with bad taste

Please, explain your reasoning behind your opinion. I'm not trying to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat; im genuinely curious.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This reputation is somewhat warranted. I can listen to Converge and find their music interesting but don't particularly like it.

Emmure has a new song up from their upcoming album, pretty catchy I like it

http://www.myspace.com/emmure

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I like them a shitload, so go to hell. :hehe:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

the Bunt posted:

I'd say about three years ago now I saw From A Second Story Window play, and this silly sausage was in the pit running from side to side in the squatted "Crab" position, extending and retracting his arms as they moved like "crab claws."

I had seen them play a few times before, but never a reaction like that and I have always since associated that band with "crab moshing."

Until today, I never knew crab-core existed.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hah, back whenever my friends and I would go to shows at our local venue, some were known to mockingly "crab-mosh" but anyone doing it with any level of seriousness or if we just didn't know them would get the poo poo knocked out of them during the inc. breakdown

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Relativity is an awful album that sounds like one long song. The best part of it is the first three seconds of The Past Should Stay Dead.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

1997 posted:

Relativity is an awful album that sounds like one long song. The best part of it is the first three seconds of The Past Should Stay Dead.

I remember thinking that same thing the first time I heard them. However now I severely disagree and urge you to give it a couple more listens, it does have a kind of similar "soundscape" I guess you could say throughout the album but hardly not like one long song. Heads or Tails? Real Or Not is interesting in particular because it uses the normally angry/angsty breakdown to create a happy feeling, I find that they do this on other parts of the album as well, its really very pleasing

edit: I mean there are parts of it I don't like such as certain elements of the production in some parts of a couple songs but overall I would say its an excellent album

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 24, 2009

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Went to an awesome Hardcore/Metalcore show last night with Storm the Walls headlining in a tiny bar.

It's re-kindled my love for Parkway Drive!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I'm playing a show with them Tuesday. :v:

I used to gently caress the dumb Asian's girlfriend. Their music sucks dick and he treated her like poo poo.

This thread is full of awful corporate scenester poo poo. If it's on Equal Vision, it's probably awful. There are your guidelines.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

I used to gently caress the dumb Asian's girlfriend. Their music sucks dick and he treated her like poo poo.

This thread is full of awful corporate scenester poo poo. If it's on Equal Vision, it's probably awful. There are your guidelines.

Equal Vision has one of the most solid lineups in the business right now.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah, but some people refuse to accept that some of that music is actually enjoyed, not just chosen for scene points

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I don't know if this is a joke band or what, but there's this awesome new band that hails out of Newark, NJ called I Killed Her Because I Loved Him, and these bro-magnons know how to SLAM it up! Those dudes are really broductive when in the studio, and if these mother chuggers keep going, they'll be heading for the top in no time!

Just look at these bastards! Here is the monster that is Joey "Where's The Twinks?" Villerano on VOKILLS!:

Click here for the full 600x799 image.

And here are the rest of the groovin' fellas!:

From L to R: Harold Doucherson (rythem guitar), Todd "Sweetmeat" Worble (lead guitar and backing vokills), Mort "Hitler" Stordowski (bass), and Dale "Whitebread" Moriano (drums).

Just listen to the fuckin' chops on those bastards, and Joey's vocals are something only a true metalhead can stomach! Harold and Todd sure know their way around an axe, and fuckin' "Hitler" is non-existent! Dale aint worth poo poo though... too bad about him...

Check out their song "A Bro's Call To Arms (Pabst Blue Ribbon Medley)"

Oh yeah, and if anybody could give me any recommendations for bands that are bitchin' to listen to while crushing beer cans on my forehead for Christ and doin ollies on my skateboard that'd be pretty boss.

Diet Coke Can
Jul 25, 2004
i actually know those guys. they're not as metal as they would have you believe!

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

mr.vj posted:

:words:
Hahaha, you couldn't help but troll this thread. Good job!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I remember thinking that same thing the first time I heard them. However now I severely disagree and urge you to give it a couple more listens, it does have a kind of similar "soundscape" I guess you could say throughout the album but hardly not like one long song. Heads or Tails? Real Or Not is interesting in particular because it uses the normally angry/angsty breakdown to create a happy feeling, I find that they do this on other parts of the album as well, its really very pleasing

edit: I mean there are parts of it I don't like such as certain elements of the production in some parts of a couple songs but overall I would say its an excellent album

I've probably listened to the entire record six or seven times now, and I still think it's a bad album. Also Johnny Craig is a douchebag so I'll never listen to them again.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

mr.vj posted:

I don't know if this is a joke band or what, but there's this awesome new band that hails out of Newark, NJ called I Killed Her Because I Loved Him, and these bro-magnons know how to SLAM it up! Those dudes are really broductive when in the studio, and if these mother chuggers keep going, they'll be heading for the top in no time!

Just look at these bastards! Here is the monster that is Joey "Where's The Twinks?" Villerano on VOKILLS!:

Click here for the full 600x799 image.

And here are the rest of the groovin' fellas!:

From L to R: Harold Doucherson (rythem guitar), Todd "Sweetmeat" Worble (lead guitar and backing vokills), Mort "Hitler" Stordowski (bass), and Dale "Whitebread" Moriano (drums).

Just listen to the fuckin' chops on those bastards, and Joey's vocals are something only a true metalhead can stomach! Harold and Todd sure know their way around an axe, and fuckin' "Hitler" is non-existent! Dale aint worth poo poo though... too bad about him...

Check out their song "A Bro's Call To Arms (Pabst Blue Ribbon Medley)"

Oh yeah, and if anybody could give me any recommendations for bands that are bitchin' to listen to while crushing beer cans on my forehead for Christ and doin ollies on my skateboard that'd be pretty boss.

drat dude you got us so bad

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Please, explain your reasoning behind your opinion. I'm not trying to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat; im genuinely curious.

Most dudes who I know who listen to a lot of hardcore and metalcore are into Converge.

Been pumping Between the Buried and Me- Colors a lot lately. Awesome album to go back to because you always pick up new poo poo. Such an awesome band. Ants of the Sky is definitely the stand out track.

Also going back listening to some Parkway Drive for some pretty stock standard metalcore. Horizons is growing on me, think it is a lot more mature than Killing With a Smile. Some of it is loving useless.

Man I wish I could suck down Varg Vikernes, Mayhem and Gorgoroth's semen.

Edit: To go back a bit to the first page

krustster posted:

Black Dahlia Murder is just a melodic death metal band that appeals to the metalcore crowd for some unknown reason (I like them but I don't see the connection)

Basically they fall under metalcore because of the way they dress. Half the 'deathcore' bands around are just death metal bands that dress like hardcore and metalcore kids basically.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 26, 2009

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
I've been listening to a loving awesome band called Thy Art Is Murder lately. They're only a new band, but they've got a good following so far. Australian deathcore band.

Here is their Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/thyartismurder

quote:

Also going back listening to some Parkway Drive for some pretty stock standard metalcore. Horizons is growing on me, think it is a lot more mature than Killing With a Smile. Some of it is loving useless.

Horizons is a good album, but I do love Killing With A Smile.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Mmmmm I absolutely love me some Parkway. Anyone seen them live? I have. Three times. 'Tis wonderful indeed

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I have twice it was incredible :c00l:

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Orange Soda posted:

I've been listening to a loving awesome band called Thy Art Is Murder lately. They're only a new band, but they've got a good following so far. Australian deathcore band.

Here is their Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/thyartismurder

Horizons is a good album, but I do love Killing With A Smile.

Parkway Drive is such a sick band in general, but I definitely think Killing With A Smile is the better of the two albums.

Suffokate, ABACABB and For the Fallen Dreams just played around here recently and it was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. Suffokate and ABACABB are two of the heaviest bands I've ever heard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Im not sure what Cancer Bats would be considered, but there new album is really good. I had a chance to see them live last year when they opened for Bullet, and initally wrote them off (there live performance was terrible) but drat, i should have listened to them sooner.

ScottABoy
Mar 15, 2004
I AM A LIAR
The new Kissy Face Fashion Faux Pas album is pretty loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Im not sure what Cancer Bats would be considered, but there new album is really good. I had a chance to see them live last year when they opened for Bullet, and initally wrote them off (there live performance was terrible) but drat, i should have listened to them sooner.

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.