Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

krustster posted:

new Born of Osiris tape is really good especially "Exist"

Eh, I was really disappointed in their new album. While Exist is a good song, I feel that most of the songs on that album are poor. I've only listened to it twice, but it seems like every song songs nearly identical, plus the song lengths are extremely short. You can't even get into a song because it changes every five seconds and never repeats itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MalConstant posted:

...I've only listened to it twice, but it seems like every song songs nearly identical...

Oh god please don't tell me they're going the route of Suicide Silence :ohdear:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Suicide Silences recordings are sometimes boring, but they put on a fun (violent) show

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh god please don't tell me they're going the route of Suicide Silence :ohdear:

No, they went further in the death metal direction as opposed to core. And the new SS is way more varied than the first one :c00l:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Suicide Silences recordings are sometimes boring, but they put on a fun (violent) show

Well it's not that they're boring, it's just that most of the songs on The Cleansing sound very, very similar. They're enjoyable, but there isn't much variety.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
The new Born of Osiris is ok. I was excited for it after I heard Exist, but the rest of the album is pretty dull. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times, and none of the tracks stick out at all.

Although, I'd take the new Born of Osiris over Suicide Silence anyday. I don't understand the hype of that band. In fact, you could make a mix cd of Whitechapel and Suicide Silence tracks, and I probably couldn't tell them apart. The breakdowns are predictable, and their riffs are all muddy and uninspired. It's bands like them that give metalcore/deathcore a bad rep from other metalheads. Remember mr.vj's post from earlier in the thread? I don't blame him at all for making it. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. This is just my opinion.

ANYWAY!

Finally, a BTBAM studio update! Short, but awesome. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOAefJH3YM

They'll be posting a new studio update each week of August.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Although, I'd take the new Born of Osiris over Suicide Silence anyday. I don't understand the hype of that band. In fact, you could make a mix cd of Whitechapel and Suicide Silence tracks, and I probably couldn't tell them apart. The breakdowns are predictable, and their riffs are all muddy and uninspired. It's bands like them that give metalcore/deathcore a bad rep from other metalheads. Remember mr.vj's post from earlier in the thread? I don't blame him at all for making it. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. This is just my opinion.

You're right about Whitechapel's second CD, but I thought The Somatic Defilement was actually quite good. Opinions will be opinions :colbert:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Eh, "The Cleansing" is really samey, but I think what I like about SS is that when they're on their game they are able to get a really good dark atmospheric thing going. The general structure of their songs is fairly generic (since everyone started copying them) as well as boring at times but in songs like "The Fallen" and also "No Pity for a Coward" they have some really cool ideas that work well. Of course the number of songs this actually happened on was rather low but on their latest album they stepped it way up and it has way more variety. I dunno, I think they deserve more credit for their actual musical ideas than they get. Then again the high vocals are pretty grating.

As for Whitechapel and Suicide Silence sounding the same and being terrible, I can understand not liking either band but they really don't sound much alike :confused:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
The high vocals are grating in a crazy, maniac, insane, demonic, beautiful way :)

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I was listening to Parkway Drive on the way home today, and it's becoming increasingly evident that their music just never gets old to me. I just can't put my finger on what makes me like them so much.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Goddamn I wish I was living in America. Parkway Drive are touring with A Day to Remember around through october and november.

So, what are peoples opinions on A Day To Remember? I personaly really enjoy them.

The Bryan
Dec 25, 2005
I got an SA account for christmas!

Pres posted:

So, what are peoples opinions on A Day To Remember? I personaly really enjoy them.

Their first 2 albums were really good, but the third album is a littly too poppy but its still ok it got them alot of new fans too.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

The Bryan posted:

Their first 2 albums were really good, but the third album is a littly too poppy but its still ok it got them alot of new fans too.

I like the third album, its pretty formulaic but just well crafted/fun to listen to. But yeah, first two albums were better for sure.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Pres posted:

Goddamn I wish I was living in America. Parkway Drive are touring with A Day to Remember around through october and november.

I had never heard of them until now - listened to "The Downfall of us All" on Youtube, and I thought it was pretty good. Not as "heavy" as I generally prefer with all the clean vocals, but it's still enjoyable.

To throw another band out there, what's everyone's opinion on The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza? I sort of "rediscovered" them today, and am really enjoying their grind element.

Their bassist is loving insane as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JxAanEiV5w

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
You've never heard of them before? drat they blew up so big now. Really all of their albums are great and worth a listen, though.

And TDTE? They are crazy, i almost saw them once when they came to Houston but they cancelled at the last minute.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I was listening to Parkway Drive on the way home today, and it's becoming increasingly evident that their music just never gets old to me. I just can't put my finger on what makes me like them so much.

I have to agree. Both their albums are practically timeless, gay as that may sound. I can listen to any of my random favorite songs and enjoy them just as much as the first time.

WHEN YOUR LUNGS COLLAPSE

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Their bassist is loving insane as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JxAanEiV5w

I saw them with recon, the acacia strain, and despised icon (the night I pretty much accepted death). I fell in love with their bassist and now I want to be him.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

You've never heard of them before? drat they blew up so big now. Really all of their albums are great and worth a listen, though.

And TDTE? They are crazy, i almost saw them once when they came to Houston but they cancelled at the last minute.

Heh, just listened to some of their older stuff, and they're definitely awesome. Certainly a band I can enjoy for a while :3:

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

krustster posted:

I have to agree. Both their albums are practically timeless, gay as that may sound. I can listen to any of my random favorite songs and enjoy them just as much as the first time.

WHEN YOUR LUNGS COLLAPSE

Yeah both of their albums are very solid. Their vocalist kicks all sorts of rear end. Also, smoke 'em If you got 'em is an awesome song.

Aren't they due for a new album soon?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MalConstant posted:

Yeah both of their albums are very solid. Their vocalist kicks all sorts of rear end. Also, smoke 'em If you got 'em is an awesome song.

Aren't they due for a new album soon?

God, I hope so. I was jamming Dead Man's Chest today in the car.

ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSEoh gently caress yeah!!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

They claim to be either "writing" or "recording" (I think the former) according to myspace, last time I checked. So, probably early next year I'd say.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

I had never heard of them until now - listened to "The Downfall of us All" on Youtube, and I thought it was pretty good. Not as "heavy" as I generally prefer with all the clean vocals, but it's still enjoyable.

To throw another band out there, what's everyone's opinion on The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza? I sort of "rediscovered" them today, and am really enjoying their grind element.

They're awesome!

Speaking of Grind-core, I love Daughters since I watched them a few years ago, supporting The Fall of Troy

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Wow, I just looked up the Brokencyde or whatever.
For those who aren't aware, this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

also they have a song with e-40 wtf

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Wow, I just looked up the Brokencyde or whatever.
For those who aren't aware, this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

also they have a song with e-40 wtf

Brokencyde is truly an abomination of music. I don't think I could respect anyone who enjoys them.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Brokencyde is truly an abomination of music. I don't think I could respect anyone who enjoys them.

I just looked at their Wikipedia page out of sheer boredom, and the critical reaction section gets, ahem, loving freaky.

Wikipedia posted:

Metal Edge Magazine has called Brokencyde "loving horrendous". Thrash Magazine has called them "a mockery to the world of music". Another metal magazine, Decibel, has repeatedly made fun of the band, mentioning them in a interview with the group Big Business, and once ironically referring to then as their "favorite screamo-crunk band". British commentator Warren Ellis calls Brokencyde's "Freaxxx" music video "a near-perfect snapshot of everything that’s poo poo about this point in the culture". Says August Brown of the Los Angeles Times, "The 'Albucrazy'-based band has done for MySpace emo what some think Soulja Boy did for hip-hop: turn their career into a kind of macro-performance art that exists so far beyond the tropes of irony and sincerity that to ask 'are they kidding?' is like trying to peel an onion to get to a perceived central core that, in the end, does not exist and renders all attempts to reassemble the pieces futile."

"If this is the future of rock music, we're loving outta here", - wrote Kerrang! in it's January 2009 What the F* is up with Screamo Crunk feature. Placing the 'irritation factor' mark at level "very high", the magazine concluded - "Thanks to their tacky, lightweight and frankly rubbish sound, they've probably only got a shelf life of about six months".

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

new winds of plague album leaked, it's pretty loving sick.

btw: last page discussion: i consider winds of plague symphonic deathcore.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Holy poo poo. I saw emmure last night at the 'thrash and burn' fest (loving gay name) with despised icon and veil of maya. Emmure was phenomenal.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hah, they always are. Most people's complaint against Emmure is that they're music is too derivative/breakdowney or whatever but god drat if they don't do it well.

edit: how is 'Bars in Astoria' live?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Hah, they always are. Most people's complaint against Emmure is that they're music is too derivative/breakdowney or whatever but god drat if they don't do it well.

edit: how is 'Bars in Astoria' live?

I completely understand when people come at bands for that poo poo but emmure is so different. I haven't seen too many bands show as much emotion live as they do. It's not just CHUG CHUG CHUG, they get so into it and you can feel it. Bars in Astoria live is absolutely mental, they played felony too. Both those songs had the 'metal' kids that where there for devil driver moving.

I have seen emmure 3 or 4 times before this and those times where awesome but this set completely and utterly floored me. One of those times was when they played a basement of a venue and the front bar got slammed down and security had to push us back and told us to cut it out. No one listened though, it was an awesome mess. The only issue I have with their live set is how high the dB rating is. I woke up this morning and it sounded like fire extinguishers where going off in my ears.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Demolisher posted:

The only issue I have with their live set is how high the dB rating is.
are you 45?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Bryan posted:

Uhm, they havent really changed between "For those who have heart" and "Homesick". I mean really, they sound like the same album pretty much.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
ADTR was really good for a long time. I really enjoyed their first two albums and even their newest album isn't horrible. The problem I have with them came from their lyrical content. Just about all of their songs are about people hating them or trying to keep them down or how they're going to prove everyone wrong. It was fine on the first album, but Jesus Christ, get the gently caress over it. You guys are an extremely popular band from a genre of music that isn't that popular outside of the scene, so what the hell are you complaining about? Maybe that's just me though.

On a lighter note, I saw We Came As Romans the other night and they were spectacular. They slayed. ABACABB and Suffokate are supposed to be playing around here again soon too, I can't wait.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

MetaKaiser posted:

ADTR was really good for a long time. I really enjoyed their first two albums and even their newest album isn't horrible. The problem I have with them came from their lyrical content. Just about all of their songs are about people hating them or trying to keep them down or how they're going to prove everyone wrong. It was fine on the first album, but Jesus Christ, get the gently caress over it. You guys are an extremely popular band from a genre of music that isn't that popular outside of the scene, so what the hell are you complaining about? Maybe that's just me though.

On a lighter note, I saw We Came As Romans the other night and they were spectacular. They slayed. ABACABB and Suffokate are supposed to be playing around here again soon too, I can't wait.

As much as I love ADTR me and my mates have a running joke about their hilarious lyrics before breakdowns.

DISRESPECT YOU SURROUNDINGS!

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Pres posted:

As much as I love ADTR me and my mates have a running joke about their hilarious lyrics before breakdowns.

Hahaha! We do the same thing. We try to see how many more ways we can water down "gently caress poo poo up".

"Do unkind things to the area around you"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pres posted:

haha, my friends call that line the "call to bro down" and the following clean section the "time to pick up your fellow bro".

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pres posted:

I know im echoing what 3 or 4 people before me have said, but me and my friends do the same thing.

Another good one is; "PICK UP YOUR FEET!"

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Now were getting somewhere. I'm listening to them right now, I was waiting to see if someone mentioned them. They remind me of Ion Dissonance with a little more structure - which is saying something. I almost saw them with Kathleen Turner Overdrive once.

There's also a mention of Daughters, and although I adored Canada Sons, Hell Songs just didn't it for me. Too much..silly vocals. I'm not a fan of his moan/grumble thing.

Other bands that are in serious need of mentioning:

Destroyer Destroyer
Vessels Cast From Crippled Hands
The Heartland
Heavy Heavy Low Low
The Great Redneck Hope

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

Heavy Heavy Low Low

How the hell did I forget to mention these guys somewhere? I loving love this band... at least up to their latest CD which I'm not crazy over. They're songs are just... awesome. I don't know how to describe it. Inhalant Abuse is easily my favorite song, and is a good example of how they play.

HHLL - Inhalant Abuse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8uTmxDTxQ

The dual-vocals are what really get me. Is this exclusive to their Courtside Seats album?

E: So it's clear that most people feel the same way about ADTR's lyrics. I don't particularly care for them too much either - they remind me of the scourge to music that is Hollywood Undead.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

E: So it's clear that most people feel the same way about ADTR's lyrics. I don't particularly care for them too much either - they remind me of the scourge to music that is Hollywood Undead.

That's a little harsh, dont ya think? ADTR's songs are almost always catchy and fun, its just there breakdowns that suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's a little harsh, dont ya think? ADTR's songs are almost always catchy and fun, its just there breakdowns that suck.

Ok, it was a bit much, but their lyrics are loosely similar to Hollywood Undead's...

You guys are lucky to have friends who listen to the same music as you do. I have one - my roommate. Here in the Bible-belt everyone assumes screaming/growling = devil music :argh: