Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yep, 6 inch glass prism. Have to hold it right against the filter ring to get the effect, then its a matter or finding the right rotation and angle (usually about 1/3rd into the diameter). Works best on lenses with larg elements, otherwise it just blurs the whole image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Former BMTH keyboardist Jordan Fish produced the new Architects track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulalrTPVxh0

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New RENESANS featuring Ricky Hoover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP85FTtlNJA

new August Burns Red featuring Will Ramos

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nINUuNYT8-SfdwQ_vkmXLIKfHHCQjpW_I&si=0g776NTNObRa-rtu

and Ingested's new album, The Tide of Death and Fractured Dreams released the other day and isn't too bad, but it's very much Ingested. I've only listened through it once but I don't feel like there was anything particularly standout, and it was all pretty immediately identifiable as Ingested.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
And DGD finally kicked out Tilian lol, way too late but good riddance

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just started listening to the new ERRA album and enjoying it lots so far. Great mixing and good pacing & tonal balance

Slow Sour Bleed reminds me of Darkest Days-era Stabbing Westward, just with much heavier sections. This is a very good thing.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

reversefungi posted:

And DGD finally kicked out Tilian lol, way too late but good riddance

Baffling they brought him back in the first place

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Dango Bango posted:

Baffling they brought him back in the first place

Yeah as someone who’s made way too many excuses for them in the past, that was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, completely stopped listening to them at that point.

Not sure if folks listen to Eidola (Andrew Wells’ other project) but their most recent album is killer, way more metalcore than their previous stuff but in a good way

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

With Tillian out, I guess I'll have to go back to not liking DGD for their music

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dusty is also back out of BtBaM so wins all around

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Dusty is also back out of BtBaM so wins all around

"They did it because they wanted 5% more money each, there was no other reason possible."

Lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pander posted:

"They did it because they wanted 5% more money each, there was no other reason possible."

Lol

honestly though like imagine being in a band solely because a lawyer told the rest of them they had to let you in lol

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've never heard of this band before, Cyborg Octopus, but this new track shreds: https://youtu.be/W7MSTp1Gwk8?si=amMA3A_VwKRf-kKE

Prog metal. I'd say ffo btbam, rivers of nihil.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
new ghost inside slaps on first listen
https://theghostinside.bandcamp.com/album/searching-for-solace

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i am going to listen to this album but will be doing so with an exceptional amount of trepidation

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

i am going to listen to this album but will be doing so with an exceptional amount of trepidation

this record is soft as baby poo poo lmao. i still like fury and the fallen ones and returners so i can at least keep listening to those but yeesh. octane-core

thinking about this has actually bummed me out a little, lol. bands change and poo poo happens. but they say your musical tastes are more or less solidified in your 20s, which i have found pretty accurate (i'm 42). it's super uncommon for a new band to do much for me, and as time goes on, more and more of the bands i have loved either call it quits (etid, misery signals, it dies today) or turn to poo poo (parkway drive, ghost inside), and metalcore as a genre now just seems like a sea of laptop bands. i'm just washed and complaining. glad i still have the acacia strain (although i have this feeling they're going to be hanging it up before all that much longer) and better lovers. maybe it's time for my classic rock era

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 21, 2024

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/G-KB7HAyetY?si=TYDYtoRBdHvHpC4g

New Knocked Loose (ft Poppy). Goes very hard

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

https://youtu.be/G-KB7HAyetY?si=TYDYtoRBdHvHpC4g

New Knocked Loose (ft Poppy). Goes very hard

i don't know who poppy is but this song is insane. fuckin reggaeton beat breakdown lmao.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

XIII posted:

]

New Knocked Loose (ft Poppy).

Lmao. Music got weird!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

i don't know who poppy is but this song is insane. fuckin reggaeton beat breakdown lmao.

She started out as a YouTuber/pop musician, but pivoted to heavier music after ditching her weirdo manager and has been killing it since.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I actually love the new TGI but it's real hard to share my enthusiasm because any description results in some of the bleakest sentences ever written. It's half "Breaking Benjamin covering a GaryVee video" and half "hey ChatGPT, write a Hatebreed song in the style of Wage War" but their songwriting just works for me in a way that none of the other bands who sound exactly the same do.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

XIII posted:

She started out as a YouTuber/pop musician, but pivoted to heavier music after ditching her weirdo manager and has been killing it since.

I only knew of her from those weird, almost creepy-pasta style youtube stuff she used to be in (and various channels covering it). To be honest I figured it must be something different, but nope, it's her.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't hate her solo stuff, tbh. You get some fun bubble gum pop AND some decent heavy music. Win-win.

Between this new KL and her song with Bad Omens and I'd love to see her lean more into -core

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

here's the music video if you have no idea who poppy is and want a visual to go along with the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAuuVY__KQ0

here's a few more from poppy who is fine/decent as a solo pop/metal type artist who does some pretty interesting things in her weird little corner of the metal genre. it's kinda cringe nu metal stuff but it's actually not half bad just bc it leans into itself so hard. she's signed to sumerian, believe it or not. same label as slaughter to prevail, btbam, born of osiris, and veil of maya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmswmbosYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_vPbqUlZs

she also did a really faithful cover of tATu's "all the things she said" which is a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTvIG6gHMh0

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/mD9xotOWQSk?si=lNf76g-DfFLEsQUu

Let's not forget the cover of Spit, originally by Kittie, she did

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I actually love the new TGI but it's real hard to share my enthusiasm because any description results in some of the bleakest sentences ever written. It's half "Breaking Benjamin covering a GaryVee video" and half "hey ChatGPT, write a Hatebreed song in the style of Wage War" but their songwriting just works for me in a way that none of the other bands who sound exactly the same do.

It's a little poppier than their previous release, but they still have those fun squat PR-inducing breakdowns and it hits the spot. I've always been a big fan of TGI myself (flew to their first show after the accident in LA/Shrine a few years ago) so I'm not exactly the most balanced/unbiased of listeners :shrug:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

https://youtu.be/mD9xotOWQSk?si=lNf76g-DfFLEsQUu

Let's not forget the cover of Spit, originally by Kittie, she did

use video tags gently caress. stop making me click outside of the awful app you lazy dingus

e: also since the ghost inside is also being brought up in this thread let me just not miss my opportunity to let everyone know i think they've always sucked

wamsutta, you mentioned something about people's music tastes being solidified or set in stone around the time of adolescence, and that might be true for most people, but on any given day i barely ever listen to anything older than a few months out. my favorite album from 2022 is something i probably haven't listened to since december of that year if not longer ago than that. new music comes out all the time and i basically need a direct injection as often as possible.

we're not that far apart in age btw, you said you're 42, i turn 40 in a month.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 24, 2024

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

use video tags gently caress. stop making me click outside of the awful app you lazy dingus

I'll consider it
edit: lol I don't have video tags enabled, so every YT link takes me offsite. Tbh, I forgot it was even a thing

quote:

whamsutta, you mentioned something about people's music tastes being solidified or set in stone around the time of adolescence, and that might be true for most people, but on any given day i barely ever listen to anything older than a few months out. my favorite album from 2022 is something i probably haven't listened to since december of that year if not longer ago than that. new music comes out all the time and i basically need a direct injection as often as possible.

I'm similar. Except I'm young and cool, at a mere 35

XIII fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 23, 2024

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

whamsutta, you mentioned something about people's music tastes being solidified or set in stone around the time of adolescence, and that might be true for most people, but on any given day i barely ever listen to anything older than a few months out. my favorite album from 2022 is something i probably haven't listened to since december of that year if not longer ago than that. new music comes out all the time and i basically need a direct injection as often as possible.

Very similar here, most of what I listen to is less than 5 years old with a majority <2 aside from my older favorites which I'll toss on whenever (there is no In Flames album or song that I will hit 'skip' on), and I've gotten into some completely different genres over the years.

I'm 40.

5+ years ago the majority of what I was listening to was hip-hop and electronica, before that it was loads of power metal with some black metal

I still have a soft spot for Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, and Jacob Lee though. :v:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have the same need for new music all the time but I do think my taste in what *kinds* of music I will seek out has solidified in the last half decade or so, and I'm about 8 years younger than Shooga. It is almost exclusively some kind of heavy poo poo or a handful of middle-aged semi-underground rappers thede days.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

One day I will two-step on your graves

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

enjoy your youth while it lasts, whippersnappers!

also, i highly recommend checking out the straight up metal thread on fridays. Nazzadan does the dark lord's work every single week updating the thread with about a dozen and a half bandcamp links of all different kinds of metal, even core stuff, which that thread is usually somewhat repellent to. if you like core, there's a high chance you'll like some dm or thrash or crossover or the best genre ever: slam

even if nothing is your cup of tea, it opens you up to just random new poo poo and gives you a little taste of what's out there

as for music taste changing as you age and stuff, in the last ~5 years, i def started broadening my horizons. i like synthwave, i like some neofunk, and in just the last like two years i started listening to more ambient stuff which def makes me feel like i'm hitting mid-life crisis levels of art appreciation.

but then just last week i found out about this band mask who are loving sick and reminds me while i'll never stop loving idiot breakdown music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_U1d8zWLk

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Late 30s here and I also have a debilitating need for constant new music. I wouldn't say my tastes have solidified at any certain point - I've always listened to a wide range of stuff and will spend a couple weeks or months diving down whatever rabbit hole makes sense at the time (country, synthwave, jazz, prog, rap, ambient poo poo, post rock, stupidass jrpg sountracks, etc) with heavy music in general acting as a home base. I've shifted slightly from being a metal elitist in high school to preferring more alternative and hardcore-leaning stuff I guess but idk, music is good and cool and ~magical~ and has too much to offer to get stuck listening to the same 3 albums forever.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

thanks for all the suggestions gang. it’s definitely not that I’m not open to new music, rather that it’s super rare for anything to really grab me the way stuff frequently did when I was younger. there are always exceptions, though, and I’m glad when I find them

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
There are some albums that are timeless, I’ll always come back to things like Jane Doe at least once a year or so, for example. Maybe 30% of my listening is really old stuff, 30% is completely new (to me), and the other 40% is newish stuff I’ve discovered in the last few months.

As an example, Vamachara has been on constant repeat for me all month since they were mentioned in this thread, thanks for that recommendation Shooga

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have the same need for new music all the time but I do think my taste in what *kinds* of music I will seek out has solidified in the last half decade or so, and I'm about 8 years younger than Shooga. It is almost exclusively some kind of heavy poo poo or a handful of middle-aged semi-underground rappers thede days.

This is kind of fair for me, i listened to a hundred+ new metal and hardcore albums last year and maybe a couple dozen rap albums (but I listened to Billy Woods more than any other single record) but I try to at least occasionally veer out of my lane. I listen to a lot of jazz but not much that's new, and I make a point of checking out at least a handful of bluegrass records every year.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Summer Slaughter finally announced their lineup

it sucks

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Erra playing Dementia on this tour is a big surprise. They said they wouldn’t be playing older stuff anymore after their last headliner.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

reversefungi posted:

As an example, Vamachara has been on constant repeat for me all month since they were mentioned in this thread, thanks for that recommendation Shooga

knowing i was able to give someone a good rec that really sticks is hella validating, glad you're digging them!

reversefungi posted:

Summer Slaughter finally announced their lineup

it sucks

hard pass

Chemmy posted:

Erra playing Dementia on this tour is a big surprise. They said they wouldn’t be playing older stuff anymore after their last headliner.

as far as i'm concerned erra is the band that made the first two albums and the moments of clarity ep. once they got the new singer they became something else. it's dope to see them play some old old songs, but wouldn't be enough to get me to wanna go see them live

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Digging the new single from 156/Silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is anyone able to recommend any bands/albums similar to Parkway Drive’s Horizons and Derp Blue era?