Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

the phisH posted:

well converge and botch are literally what metalcore should be, hardcore with metal influences.

the definition of metalcore being used in this thread are more for bands like as I lay dying and such, bands with catchyish gothenberg style riffs, heavy use of breakdowns, and clean-singing. Converge and Both really have none of these things.

I'm stoked as hell for the new Converge. Also, the new Narrows is pretty boss, if short.

There's a track here: http://www.myspace.com/narrows

If every metalcore band had Dave on vocals I would listen to each of them.

Also, I think someone mentioned them in the thread that inspired this one, but the new Cave In 12" is amazing:

http://planetsofold.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

krustster posted:

Is new Converge actually announced and featuring a release date, or is it just sort of a general idea that a new tape might be coming out?

There's no title/tracklist as far as I know, but there was a video of an instrumental version of one of the new songs a while ago that sounded pretty sick. It showed them jamming while Jake was slouched in a corner writing lyrics.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.

Truth. I saw Cancer Bats with Alexisonfire and ETID and they were badass. I didn't know what they looked like at the time (this was when their first album had just come out) and was chilling at the merch table. The singer was right there and was like, "Dude, this album is real good. You should check it out, man," and he convinced me to buy it.

Needless to say, I felt pretty :downs: when I saw him pick up the mic later on. Great purchase though, and I prefer it over the new album. Southern influences and all.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

I guess this is the thread to discuss the new He Is Legend record, "It Hates You" - which fuckin' kicks rear end. The intro riff on "That's Nasty" is so mean, bordering on drone-ish.

Haha jesus gently caress, that riff. That's awesome.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend me some metalcore that sounds like Johnny Truant? They're a loving amazing band and I'm really glad I got to see them before they split up (like, literally days before they did). I hadn't listened to them in a while and they came up on my iPod's shuffle today in the office and I was probably the only dude in a cubicle to headbang like a motherfucker in the entire building.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I've never heard of them before, and I only listened to two songs of theirs, but I would say to maybe give Carnifex a shot. I'm not amazing at associating sounds with other sounds, though, so I could be way off :3:

Carnifex - Lie to my Face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7olfFlGEI

That isn't bad but it's still a bit too fast, and I'm not a fan of the really deep guttural screams. I just love JT's vocals and the slower melodic stuff they've got. They have some deep vox too, but I somehow associate Carnifex's with pigsqueal lite :(

Thanks though. I've been looking for a long time and I can't really find a band that plays the exact same style (seriously, I'd be happy with a copycat band).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Spiral posted:

He is 4 feet tall.

Yeah but look at this dude

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

429cj posted:

Still fly doesn't have joke lyrics its a loving cover song, and its a pretty clever adaption of the original. And just because they happen to appeal to a large crowd it doesn't imply that their work is of any lower quality than the bands who hate everybody who isn't hardcore enough to like their particular style.

I mean come on....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJg89RLJUzs

The lyrics of that song decry fashion in the first line (and so does their band name) but look at these motherfuckers:

Click here for the full 795x535 image.

You can't say they're not scenesters. I just think it's a little hypocritical of them considering the "message" they want to convey.

Anyway, just chiming in to say the new Converge rules. Axe to Fall and Wretched World are both really amazing songs.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 28, 2009

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

a pwn cocktail posted:

I just wanted to express my regret that it's not as good as the last album I guess. Not bad though.

Does anyone know what song the riff from 3:00 - 3:06 is reminding me of on this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpEF0QZe2g
It's killing me :(

Also, has anyone noticed the similarities between "Worms Will Feed/Rats Will Feast" and Pissed Jeans' "Secret Admirer"? Both good songs mind you.

Wretched World seems kind of like a missed opportunity. :/

Wretched World would've been rad if they extend the last 2 minutes to like 3-4 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thegloaming posted:

I ended up going with Jane Doe. It's amazing; I remember coming across that album on a "best of 2001" list and turning off the sample after 2 seconds. "How can anyone like this screaming chugging guitar bullshit?" Oh man, I eat my hat tonight.

Converge has never released a clunker in their 20 or so years of activity so enjoy!