Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
After the loving Burial. best band in metal/deathcore right now, hands down. Also The Crimson Armada, not bringing too much new to the table, but pretty much perfected this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Ehh, I've seen after the burial a couple times and they just never have put on a standout show for me
probably not, because their poo poo is pretty loving technical so i imagine they can't move around much

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
Converge has been my favorite band for about 4 years and I really don't "get" Axe To Fall, although I like all the bands that obviously influenced it, it almost feels like they're doing an amateur version of what other bands are. I really need to listen to it more, but also from what I've heard the chromatic riffs are getting kind of stale, although that is Converge.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Nasam posted:

Those chromatic riffs really make Converge stand out, though, if you ask me. Ballou has this penchant for atonality and dissonance that just make it erupt in my ears. I wouldn't feel as much of an impact otherwise. You're right, though. The riffs do start to get a bit stale on their new album. I wasn't sure if it was just from listening to the band for so much over the past seven years. I do have to disagree about the band part. I think the guests make it sound like the band is even more comfortable and confident than usual. I'd even say this is their most confident album yet.

On another note, I'm never sure what thread Coalesce belongs in, but I'm still obsessed with OX and I really don't think I've found a release this year that can touch it. Converge has the only heavy album that tries to threaten its position for me. (It probably ties it, but I don't want to sound like your typical Converge fanfag. :v:)
Before this album I was beyond an archetypical converge "fanfag" but, it's just every album they've released prior to this was so new to everything I had heard, and completely all their own, and while there's no denying that Axe To Fall is their own, it's just doesn't sound new to me, doesn't break any ground as their past releases had.
I agree the chromatic riffs are what make them them, or one of the things, but on a few tracks they stick out so much(losing battle). I don't know, maybe it's just I've been counting down the days to this cd since like a week after No Heroes came out.

Also Ox is really great, though.

Sidenote, BTBAM's new cd is going to be the best of the year. Still hasn't leaked I believe

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

Could you explain all this technical mumbo jumbo to a guy who just think the new record is awesome? What should I be listening for?

haha well it kind of ruins it really. but chromatic meaning in laymens terms, the notes are close to each other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FdJpeaHexw&feature=fvw chromatic scale . the concepts of atonality and dissonance are something you should look up if you really want to know about.

that vires band kind of sucks. i've heard so many bands that sound exactly like that, there's like 4 from my city alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Here's my band. The Nature of Monsters. Sorry my low's are kind of overpowering the laptop mic. Tell me what you guys think....be gentle, this is our second practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taa_hlnoRg8

I'm the frontman.

i really dont know what to say. the beginning sounded like some black metal tremolo or something and i was kind of excited. enter cookie cutter core riff. ;/. you shouldn't even really post this here for evaluation without a drummer because who knows he could save it. i think your guitarists need to practice more, though.

edit: a couple of those riffs in that Within The Ruins video made me remember I need to practice more

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 12, 2010