Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I guess I am pretty new to deathcore since I only started listening to some bands that could be considered in that genre this year--I guess all my listening to Swedish melodic death metal and Finnish black metal got YouTube music to start recommending Shadow of Intent to me, and then Lorna Shore, The Browning, Fit for an Autopsy, and After the Burial. I've also run across a few other bands that match the sound I'm into, like Worm Shepherd and A Wake in Providence. I also like some stuff from Make Them Suffer and Chelsea Grin.

Looking over the last few pages I... don't recognize a lot of those bands! Or really most of them. Are there some in the direction of the ones I'm listening to I should look into? I have listened to a few tracks from The Acacia Strain and the ones I checked out weren't really the sound I go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh yeah, Brand of Sacrifice comes up too, they aren't bad. And Mental Cruelty just came up today on the playlist and yep, that's my kind of thing, they sound similar to Shadow of Intent.

Do I need to keep an eye out for any fascist acts to avoid like I do with black metal?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

protip: stop caring about or looking up lyrics to any of these -core songs and just embrace the unga bunga breeee raawr nature of the sound the singers make with their mouths and then you have plausible deniability for not being embarrassed at the cringe subject matter

sorry I actually enjoy the lyrics from death metal and black metal, deathcore is not any more or less ridiculous TBH

I also enjoy ridiculous braggadocio hiphop and some power metal, so yeah. I do not need to take things seriously to enjoy them

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I could not stand that guy's vocals. It was constant squeaking, heh. It's probably like...just a hair off from lots of other things I like, but enough to change it from "I dig this" to "oh god make it stop".

ugh, same. Made it like 1 minute in.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

chelsea grin album from last year. giving it a spin today at work and it's pretty sick. doesn't exactly jump out at me as anything particularly *special* or differentiating, but it's a solid release and has me headbanging through some menial tasks which is all i can really ask for.

That's what I got from it. It's good enough, just doesn't stand out to me among other releases in the past year--in some ways Chelsea Grin seem like they are the base other bands are building off of and doing interesting things with.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
MXPX are still a thing? goddamn

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I see a few names in there I haven't seen since I was a teenager listening to Christian music :v: . Project 86? drat. Looks like they dumped the Christian label and went indie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4nt76LEk9s

this is actually pretty good

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The new Ov Sulfur album is good, I gave it a listen-through this morning, gonna put it on in my workshop this evening.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_Q_t4DbXM

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Worm Shepherd track, I assume this means another album is coming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkRn4H2XTBI

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Shadow of Intent just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xd2rLgLrTY

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Pleasantly surprised that 'bog walker' on one of the new Acacia Strain albums just straight stoner metal.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

kumba posted:

i have to admit, i did not have this collab on my 2023 bingo card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqjr5Sn4kV4

That rules, and it's giving me big Linkin Park vibes

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I really wanted to see the Ov Sulfur/Mental Cruelty tour but here in Seattle they are playing in the total shithole venue El Corazon and the tickets are over $90 so gently caress that. If they were in a decent venue I would pay that I guess

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wachter posted:

I just checked on seetickets and it's like $23 with service charge so maybe there was a typo somewhere

Huh, what the hell. Guess I'll go look again, maybe it was a site putting inflated prices up for preorders or something

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

el B posted:

Reminder to always check the venue website, or the band's website for tickets. I've almost fell for reseller prices a couple of times.

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure I followed a link directly from the band's Instagram post about the tour or their website...

Edit: ticket purchased for $22, thank you folks that pointed out I was wrong.

Time to get old person metal fan ear plugs...

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2024

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i got these in the summer and have been bringing them to every show since and they work pretty well and don't have a tiktok brand name if you care about that kinda thing (i do, a little)

Alpine PartyPlug Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P5PXQZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks, grabbed some of these, we'll see how they work

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

listening to this album more today and it's hitting the spot. lots of in flames worship going on and i really gently caress with it. obv darkest hour and at the gates too.

All you had to do was say "In Flames worship" and I'm down to check this album out

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Listened through it yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Distant just released a compilation album and some of the remixes are pretty wild

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just got back from the Ov Sulfur show, with Mental Cruelty, Ghost Bath, and Extermination Dismemberment. Great show, everyone was really good. I was mainly there for Ov Sulfur and they did not disappoint though I don't know why they didn't play the title track of their album!

PartyPlugPro earplugs were fantastic, ears aren't ringing and I heard all the music clearly. Makes me want to go to more shows!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New RENESANS featuring Ricky Hoover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP85FTtlNJA

new August Burns Red featuring Will Ramos

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nINUuNYT8-SfdwQ_vkmXLIKfHHCQjpW_I&si=0g776NTNObRa-rtu

and Ingested's new album, The Tide of Death and Fractured Dreams released the other day and isn't too bad, but it's very much Ingested. I've only listened through it once but I don't feel like there was anything particularly standout, and it was all pretty immediately identifiable as Ingested.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just started listening to the new ERRA album and enjoying it lots so far. Great mixing and good pacing & tonal balance

Slow Sour Bleed reminds me of Darkest Days-era Stabbing Westward, just with much heavier sections. This is a very good thing.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

whamsutta, you mentioned something about people's music tastes being solidified or set in stone around the time of adolescence, and that might be true for most people, but on any given day i barely ever listen to anything older than a few months out. my favorite album from 2022 is something i probably haven't listened to since december of that year if not longer ago than that. new music comes out all the time and i basically need a direct injection as often as possible.

we're not that far apart in age btw, you said you're 42, i turn 40 in a month.
Very similar here, most of what I listen to is less than 5 years old with a majority <2 aside from my older favorites which I'll toss on whenever (there is no In Flames album or song that I will hit 'skip' on), and I've gotten into some completely different genres over the years.

I'm 40.

5+ years ago the majority of what I was listening to was hip-hop and electronica, before that it was loads of power metal with some black metal

I still have a soft spot for Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, and Jacob Lee though. :v:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2024