Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
"BECAUSE YOU WANTED IT..." This thread is to discuss metalcore, deathcore and other "core" bands that don't really fit anywhere else and that may or may not get you thrown out of the regular metal thread. I'll edit this OP later to be more expansive or whatever, but right now I'll start off some discussion by throwing out a few excellent tapes that have come out recently.

Architects - Hollow Crown
Probably the best metalcore album of 2009 so far for me. It's a big step up in heaviness from the last one, while still retaining the complexity and melody. The vocals are now a hoarse yell rather than the gruff bellow from before, but it suits the music. Occasional "emo" vocals but they are actually sung quite well and fit with the music. Try such songs as "Early Grave", "Dead March" and "Borrowed Time" for best results.

Killswitch Engage - Self titled
Some people are probably not going to care much for this one as it has some slower choruses, but it's a bit heavier in terms of production and also generally more intense than As Daylight Dies if you ask me. As with that one, it takes a few listens to grow on you but there are some really excellent songs on here, like "Reckoning", "Never Again" and "This Is Goodbye".

All Shall Perish - Awaken the Dreamers
Came out last year, my number 1 pick of 2008. I don't know if anyone else loved it as much as I did but this is one of the most complete albums around that can fit under the "deathcore" tag. If nothing else, ASP is probably the most universally well-respected deathcore band around and you should be trying them at all costs. Featuring such songs as "When Life Meant More", "Black Gold Reign" and "Gagged, Bound, Shelved & Forgotten".

The Acacia Strain - Continent
Another great one from 2008 from another of the most influential bands for this kind of music. Acacia Strain is commonly referred to as "deathcore" but they really have no death metal metal elements. Either way, they were another of the originals and still the best at their particular oft-imitated style, and this album is probably their best achievement to date. If nothing else, it's the most well-rounded and has the most variety. It even has a fully fleshed-out and awesome instrumental, "The Behemoth". Try such selections as "Dr. Doom" and "Cthulhu" for best results.

Okay, so what you guys got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Oh hey, Molotov Solution is also a really fantastic band that puts most "Whitechapel-wannabes" to extreme shame. Not only that but they have straight up clever lyrics as well.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MalConstant posted:

I thought the new Killswitch Album was really generic. While there were some good songs, there were also some terrible songs, like the single Starting Over. Howard sounds better than ever though, but man do his lyrics suck rear end on this one. They seem to be not progressing at all and by doing so their music is becoming worse. I'm a huge fan of these guys too, I joined the Fan Club to meet them. Cool dudes btw.

"Starting Over" is one of my favorite songs on there, really. It reminds me of the classic "Rose of Sharyn". I kinda figured that some fans would dislike it and others would love it, though. Both with good reason, really.

quote:

This is my favorite album of the year so far. But I'm a bit biased since I love this band to death. The Tides has one of the coolest loving solos I've ever heard.

Undoing Ruin actually came out in 2005, The Eternal Return is the new one. :c00lbert: I agree with you about "The Tides" though, the solo in that one rivals "Doomsayer" from the last one which is my favorite solo of all time :byodood:

quote:

Also, has anyone heard the new August Burns Red album? Talk about a band realizing it's potential! They knocked it out of the park with this album. They upped their songwriting and their songs are more varied than their previous release.
I HAVE! I couldn't agree more, it's leaps and bounds past the last one which was itself way better than their first. I wasn't really looking forward to it all that much compared to some other stuff this year, but it blew me away. YOUR MOUTH IS LIKE A GRENADE

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

This thread is full of people with good opinions! We are cool. :cool:

Jacquismo posted:

I'll take this chance to bring up some bands that no one ever talks about around here...

Would you guys consider Soilwork to be metalcore? I see them getting categorized as melodeath, but their two albums post-Figure don't seem like that to me...

Also, is anyone excited about Spineshank's new album? Their previous stuff was more nu-metal, but it seems like Jonny Santos is pushing them in a similar direction to Silent Civilian. What I've heard sounds great. Has anyone seen them since they've reformed?

Soilwork really isn't metalcore at all, but the general opinion of them in the "real" metal thread seems to be rather low. Personally I love every one of their albums except for the last one which was a disappointment. Apparently it was different because Peter Wichers left and he was the main songwriter, or one of them at least. He's back in the band now though, so the next one is sure to be awesome! And if Spineshank turns into Silent Civilian v.2, that'd be pretty good because their first one showed a lot of potential.

The Bryan posted:

Yeah i cant wait for this, its only 6 songs long so they are gunna be long and good.

Also does anyone like The Devil Wears Prada ? I think they have really good mixes of singing screaming and breakdowns. Especially on thier first 2 albums

I never really used to like them, I saw them in concert twice and found them to be pretty bad. But the new one, With Roots Above and Branches Below is awesome. I like that it's less "random" and more melodic. There are some truly excellent parts in it too, like the piano break in "Big Wiggly Style" (drat I hate the stupid-rear end "witty" song titles).

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

anticake posted:

I thought it was pretty funny that the vocalist, who already had one guitarist doing clean vocals, decided he should do clean vocals as well except completely fail at getting anything near resembling in tune. That's about all the entertainment I got out of them.

Their album "Determination" owns :mad:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Black Dahlia Murder is just a melodic death metal band that appeals to the metalcore crowd for some unknown reason (I like them but I don't see the connection)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MetaKaiser posted:

And has anyone noticed a lot of -core bands are Christian bands? Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Texas In July, Whitechapel, Attack! Attack!, etc. As someone who doesn't particularly subscribe to any religion, it's weird that a lot of my favorite bands are singing about god and preaching their faith and whatnot.

Haha, I really don't think Whitechapel is a christian band:

http://darklyrics.com/lyrics/whitechapel/thesomaticdefilement.html#4

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Cock Soup posted:

The actual names are "Trendcore" or "NintendoCore", the genre is so ridiculous that there's not really a serious name for it yet. Musically, it's simply Metalcore or Deathcore, with the addition of electronica elements. Often, it takes the form of a keyboard with a 8-Bit sound, hence the name NintendoCore.
:goonsay:

The name Crabcore originates from the position of the bassist in an Attack Attack videoclip for Stick Stickly.

I was going to announce that all Attack Attack discussion was banned in my thread, but this gif made it all worthwhile.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'm stoked as hell for the new Converge. Also, the new Narrows is pretty boss, if short.

There's a track here: http://www.myspace.com/narrows

If every metalcore band had Dave on vocals I would listen to each of them.

Also, I think someone mentioned them in the thread that inspired this one, but the new Cave In 12" is amazing:

http://planetsofold.com/

Is new Converge actually announced and featuring a release date, or is it just sort of a general idea that a new tape might be coming out?

edit:

the phisH posted:

well converge and botch are literally what metalcore should be, hardcore with metal influences.

the definition of metalcore being used in this thread are more for bands like as I lay dying and such, bands with catchyish gothenberg style riffs, heavy use of breakdowns, and clean-singing. Converge and Both really have none of these things.
note that it also says "whatever-core" in the title; any bands with a "core" in their subgenre name are welcome. :cool:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Converge always strikes me as one of those bands that everybody cites as a major influence on -core, but nobody actually likes.

I like them a shitload, so go to hell. :hehe:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

mr.vj posted:

I don't know if this is a joke band or what, but there's this awesome new band that hails out of Newark, NJ called I Killed Her Because I Loved Him, and these bro-magnons know how to SLAM it up! Those dudes are really broductive when in the studio, and if these mother chuggers keep going, they'll be heading for the top in no time!

Just look at these bastards! Here is the monster that is Joey "Where's The Twinks?" Villerano on VOKILLS!:

Click here for the full 600x799 image.

And here are the rest of the groovin' fellas!:

From L to R: Harold Doucherson (rythem guitar), Todd "Sweetmeat" Worble (lead guitar and backing vokills), Mort "Hitler" Stordowski (bass), and Dale "Whitebread" Moriano (drums).

Just listen to the fuckin' chops on those bastards, and Joey's vocals are something only a true metalhead can stomach! Harold and Todd sure know their way around an axe, and fuckin' "Hitler" is non-existent! Dale aint worth poo poo though... too bad about him...

Check out their song "A Bro's Call To Arms (Pabst Blue Ribbon Medley)"

Oh yeah, and if anybody could give me any recommendations for bands that are bitchin' to listen to while crushing beer cans on my forehead for Christ and doin ollies on my skateboard that'd be pretty boss.

drat dude you got us so bad

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I have twice it was incredible :c00l:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

l33tfuzzbox posted:

What do Winds of Plague count as? The amount of breakdowns scream some kind of -core. Great band though, although their Decimate the Weak album took forever to grow on me. Their new stuff....not so much so far.

I didn't know they had new stuff, but they are textbook "deathcore" for sure. Decimate the Weak was a big favorite of mine for a couple months then it suddenly became uninteresting for me, I dunno why. I'll blast the new stuff though and see how it is.

quote:

And second the OP's mention of All Shall Perish. I'm finally getting to see them in Indy on Oct 3, and I'm loving pumped. Although its sad that Chris Storey left the band.

:c00l: they are absolutely FANTASTIC live, or at least they were when I saw them. Acacia Strain was headlining the show but ASP stole it from them. Their energy is incredible and they nail every part perfectly, including such hits as the ending of "Laid to Rest". On that note, they also struck a nice balance of old and new, playing 2 songs from their first one, 3 from their second and 2 from their new (then-unreleased) album. Best performance I've ever seen next to Parkway Drive.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

No Wings to Speak Of is the band you are looking for: http://www.myspace.com/nwtsomosh

Liferuiner is the other band for you: http://www.myspace.com/xlifexruinerx

:c00lbert:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ETERNAL LORD IS ANOTHER SUCH FAVORITE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0OEYR21Ik

HERE ARE SOME KEY TAPES FROM NO WINGS TO SPEAK OF AND ALSO LIFERUINER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpbPASgWPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKY703gCX8g

(joke song but insanely heavy]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ly47MxsJrY

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

-Atom- posted:

My friend burned me a copy of a Attack Attack! album and I think we can go without saying that this band has officially jumped the scene-core shark.

Auto-tuner, breakdowns and electro beats. Oh my.

I'm not sure what "jumped the shark" means but I think all of us normal people can agree that Attack Attack is loving horrible. They deserve to reside in the same mass grave as BrokeNcyde.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

new Born of Osiris tape is really good especially "Exist"

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh god please don't tell me they're going the route of Suicide Silence :ohdear:

No, they went further in the death metal direction as opposed to core. And the new SS is way more varied than the first one :c00l:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Although, I'd take the new Born of Osiris over Suicide Silence anyday. I don't understand the hype of that band. In fact, you could make a mix cd of Whitechapel and Suicide Silence tracks, and I probably couldn't tell them apart. The breakdowns are predictable, and their riffs are all muddy and uninspired. It's bands like them that give metalcore/deathcore a bad rep from other metalheads. Remember mr.vj's post from earlier in the thread? I don't blame him at all for making it. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. This is just my opinion.

Eh, "The Cleansing" is really samey, but I think what I like about SS is that when they're on their game they are able to get a really good dark atmospheric thing going. The general structure of their songs is fairly generic (since everyone started copying them) as well as boring at times but in songs like "The Fallen" and also "No Pity for a Coward" they have some really cool ideas that work well. Of course the number of songs this actually happened on was rather low but on their latest album they stepped it way up and it has way more variety. I dunno, I think they deserve more credit for their actual musical ideas than they get. Then again the high vocals are pretty grating.

As for Whitechapel and Suicide Silence sounding the same and being terrible, I can understand not liking either band but they really don't sound much alike :confused:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I was listening to Parkway Drive on the way home today, and it's becoming increasingly evident that their music just never gets old to me. I just can't put my finger on what makes me like them so much.

I have to agree. Both their albums are practically timeless, gay as that may sound. I can listen to any of my random favorite songs and enjoy them just as much as the first time.

WHEN YOUR LUNGS COLLAPSE

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

They claim to be either "writing" or "recording" (I think the former) according to myspace, last time I checked. So, probably early next year I'd say.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The Capitulator posted:

Ahem, if you like Sonic Syndicate, you will enjoy In Flames

If you like Sonic Syndicate then you will REALLY like the last few Soilwork tapes. I don't know what the hell this "popcore" stuff is supposed to be, just sounds like another stupidly-named fake subgenre for elitists to make fun of bands they don't like. They just sound like melodic death metal to me, albeit a more "mainstream" variety. You know, the Soilwork school as compared to the Amon Amarth school or whatever.

This is getting confusing now.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I often describe the Eternal Lord album as what Emmure should have released after "Goodbye to the Gallows" if they had learned from their mistakes. Granted, "The Respect Issue" has some good tapes on it but there was so much potential squandered. Eternal Lord isn't really original or anything but they're just so drat good anyway.

On a related note I got a sampler CD the other day of a few songs from the new Emmure tape which I haven't listened to yet, so we'll see if they cleaned up their act a bit.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Just found out about these guys yesterday, but I'm kinda liking Thy Art is Murder. They're a pretty generic deathcore band, but I enjoy their sound.

Here's what I guess is their most popular song atm - Whore to a Chainsaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLCAcZHUV4

Yes, very good band for only having an EP or whatever. I gotta say though that "Parasitic Autopsy" is my favorite- "you are the ugliest motherfucker I ever did see!" *blastbeat tapes*

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MalConstant posted:

By Blood and Iron - The Infernal Offering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZmvFHJp_o

For a band that isn't signed, holy poo poo. The breakdown at 3:09 with the machine gun sound is great.

YES. Things like this are why I created this thread (disregarding the band's tight pants and gay haircuts of course). The breakdown at the end was so sick I almost vomited. Not really, but I did actually involuntarily yell "OOHHHHH!" in real life.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Spiral posted:

Im just not a big fan of bands who do everything decently but nothing exceptionally. When the highpoint of a super-long song is a keyboard machine gun sample I think you're probably not doing the rest of the stuff properly.

Methinks you didn't actually listen to the song and just based your opinion of it on the post in this thread. Because :drat:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Yeah its a pretty good song actually

in fact I'd go so far as to say it FUCKEN 0WNZ

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Spiral posted:

but why write music that people before you have already done 1000x better?

Why don't you start things off by naming some of those bands.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Cock Soup posted:

Born of Osiris
Veil of Maya
The Faceless
Arsonists Get All the Girls
The Devil Wears Prada
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
Within the Ruins

Also, Here Comes the Kraken has put out my #1 Metalcore/Deathcore album for this year, a definite must-listen.

Here Comes the Kraken is good but none of those other bands except maybe Arsonists are even really that similar to the tape in question. Anyway, the point is, most of us (including me) don't really care how original something is as long as it sounds good, which most of us agree that this does. Sound good, that is. Now get out of here.

:smug:

jk

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I love all those bands you just listed (I haven't heard Veil of Maya or Within the Ruins, however), and I would still rank The Infernal Offering by By Blood and Iron up there with some of those bands' best songs.

And yeah, HCTK is amazing

also this, By Blood and Iron is in the top rankings regardless of who they might sound like.

edit: Iwrestledabearonce kinda sucks and you should be disqualified for putting them in your list in the first place.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

seconding that they suck

you may be "deeply pathetic" but I think I like you, young fellow

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Emmure has the unique ability to get simultaneously better and worse with each album. The song "Sunday Bacon" is a good example of this, as well as "Tales from the Burg" from The Respect Issue. Also note the hilarious song calling out The Acacia Strain (hilarious as in the lyrics are horrible), "R2 Deepthroat". Looks like they took "Skynet" personally. Too bad they are nowhere near as good as TAS and have 1000x worse lyrics. :(

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Well, "Skynet" was sort of an insulting song directed at various TAS imitators (of which there are many; like it or not TAS is the template from which many others derive their sound) and I guess the internet was buzzing about how the song was specifically about Emmure. Understandable since Goodbye To The Gallows is basically 3750 with worse vocals, though of course the later tapes are pretty different. Interviews don't yield any more details but in one interviewI read, Vince (from the Strain) said "I don’t want to talk about it. The internet is stupid and full of lies most of the time. I don’t like that band. Bottom line."

So either way, hopefully we can all agree that The Acacia Strain is both the original and also best band of their type, and they can make fun of whoever they want considering how awesome they are. And Emmure both sucks and is awesome at the same time, which in itself is pretty depressing. WHY DON'T THEY JUST TAKE OUT THE loving SPOKEN VOCALS DAMMIT

edit: but if you compare lyrics, "R2 Deepthroat" is obviously in response to "Skynet" whether it was directed at them or not. If nothing else you have to give Emmure credit for having the balls to directly take on the one band that can never be beaten from a lyrical standpoint, and showcase some of the worst lyrics of all time in doing so. "ask your girl how my dick tastes!" Okay, buddy.

krustster fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 30, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Demolisher posted:

The acacia strain is the best.

This is fact.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

A5H posted:

It's poo poo.
Literally they are everything that is wrong with this side of the music world.
Basically like brokencyde but less funny.

It seems to me that you guys haven't heard their new album. Although they still look like (and are) faggots they became over 100,000x better musically. JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQhe5qT1Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpGqqYbYs4

:c00l:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The Dirtyness posted:

I don't really see where all this hate is coming from. I thought the first album was pretty tight. Not musically impressive or anything, but it's got some good catchy riffs and breakdowns and stuff.

I can understand if you don't like the music, but if you really get all in a rage about stuff like this then maybe you should re-evaluate why you listen to music period. I don't know what 90% of the people in the bands I listen to look like, what they like to do in their personal time, or what the fans look like. And I don't give a poo poo.

Yes. I agree. I listen to a lot of bands that look like douchebags but who cares? And really why should I give a gently caress if one of the members of the band "can't hold his drink" or whatever.

edit: or what their loving clothing brands are like...WTF?

krustster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

A5H posted:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=229561

Bad band. Terrible people. loving hell I can't believe you people like this poo poo.

heh yeah real fun dudes to chill with heh

quote:

I can understand if you don't like the music, but if you really get all in a rage about stuff like this then maybe you should re-evaluate why you listen to music period. I don't know what 90% of the people in the bands I listen to look like, what they like to do in their personal time, or what the fans look like. And I don't give a poo poo.

sucks that they are faggots, I still like the music

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The whole point is that their music (at least the new stuff if you ask me) is 100% sweet, not horrible. But then "Spiral" is the same guy that said By Blood and Iron is playing the same music as The Faceless so maybe he should be barred from this thread.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ShimaTetsuo posted:

That's because a large number of posts in this thread are about objectively terrible bands, not because it is bad as a genre. I enjoy a number of terrible bands but I don't get all mad about it when someone correctly points out that it is bad music.

bmth is really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children

I don't see what's boring about it (featuring the vids I posted) but since nobody feels like explaining other than "OLI SYKES = FGT" and also "THEIR FANS = FGTS" then we'll just leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Also, in terms of post-rock/post-metal and metalcore crossovers - is there anything? Any bands known for metalcore songs with slow, brooding bits a la Isis and Cult of Luna?

Architects and From a Second Story Window would fit that bill maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYCJ3-GfGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541Juu0V7mU

krustster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 2, 2009