Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Yup, and not to mention that they came back from the Earth Tour with zero. That's part of why their new album's called "Desperate Living".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Wow they have even worse stage presence than BTBAM

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I would be so pissed at a show like that. People bouncing up and down and sort of half-flailing trying to actually dance. And when I step in and show them the business they get all pissed off like "yo bro you just hit my girlfriend WTF?!"

Go back home, little kid.

oh you're a windmiller?

edit: actually you're right. there isn't any sort of moshing or anything. coupled with the band, looks like the most boring show ever.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

For a while, each listen got better and better, but then it started getting worse. I still like all the tracks though.

However, both this and Colors have very focused songs, for their length. IMO, at least.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, I was gonna see HORSE again this December but I really hate Norma Jean, and I've seen HORSE 4 times so I guess I'll have to pass.

...even though Desperate Living is my favorite HtB album.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I disagree

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

at least Horse is lovely in a creative way. WOP is lovely in a generic way.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So that's what "there will always be a Marfa" is talking about. I didn't know it was a place.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Hahah, that sounds pretty cool. So it wasn't awkward having a missing vocalist for IWABO?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Blake Richardson tracking the drums to "Obfuscation". Not my favorite BTBAM song (or even new one) but this is great fun to watch. I really dig Blake's style a lot. He's more about grooves than blast-beats and double bass (though he does those awesomely too) which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY&channel=btbamofficial

edit: there's no way that dude is vegan. does anyone know who is and isn't vegan/straight edge in that band?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

isn't it always ShoogaSlim?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So, most of the bands that come out of Florida are boring and lovely, but I really love Malak. They're a bunch of cool guys and their songs are so beyond any other local tripe, both in technicality and musicianship. If you like BTBAM or other similar technical prog death metal check em out. "Carnal b) The Modification" and "Pragmataphobia" are both great tracks.

http://www.myspace.com/malakfl

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a physical deluxe version? Are all the bonus tracks just remixes?

it's one of my favorite albums of last year hahaha. My favorite tracks are probably Big Business and Golden Mummy Golden Bird. but I really like them all and never skip any, except Science Police sometimes.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I like IWABO. They're really fun to listen to. I was surprised that they managed to make a full length album that is pretty strong throughout. I was also surprised that the vocalist pulled off the harsh vocals pitch perfect live.

Her clean singing is another story and needs a shitload of work but that seems to be the case with most metal vocalists.

as for -core band with female vocals I definitely like Rolo Tomassi a lot better though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

IT IS TOO.

edit: I listened to them and don't want to come across as if I was defending their music because it's making my ears puke puking ears.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

What's retarded to you? Stuff with Dying/Dead/Buried/Blood/Massacre/Deceased poo poo or deliberately stupid/silly stuff like HORSE and Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Finally got around to listening to Darkest Hour's latest. Color me quite disappointed. I think Kris Norris made that band for me. My favorite DH album is definitely Deliver Us because of the retarded amounts of guitar wankin

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

:siren: HORSE the Band will be participating in the next front page Q & A! :siren:

If you have something you'd like to ask HORSE the Band, you can post it here, send it to me in a private message, or e-mail it to me at garbageday@somethingawful.com.

Musically, HORSE the Band is a polarizing act in most online metalcore communities, and it seems this one is no exception. However, even people who don't dig keyboard breakdowns can usually respect that these are funny dudes who don't mind laughing at themselves and bantering with their hecklers. They've definitely had some unique adventures, too, most notably booking their own sparingly promoted and largely uncompensated 45-country tour in 2008. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for what should be a great Q & SA!

you gotta be shittin me. I've already talked to them a bunch and i don't think there is something I haven't asked but this is way cool.

edit: Do they dislike touring America more than other countries because it always seems they are in Europe or somesuch.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 15, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Unless you're asking for a specific reason how could you possibly limit your choices of experiencing music to what the name of the band is?

I admit that bands like "We Butter the Bread with Butter" and "I Wrestled a Bear Once" are retarded names for bands that actually suck. But I get a lot of poo poo in this thread for liking a band with a name that's only three words and isn't completely retarded sounding (Winds of Plague).

hint: it's not the name of the band that everyone is making fun of

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

I was unaware. Why are they having a feud?

Actually, Winds of Plague is a terrible name. But that's not the point.

I see what you're getting at and agree in a sense. The thing is when you hear a band with the name "We Butter the Bread with Butter" and "I Wrestled a Bear Once" you can pretty much assume nowadays what it's going to sound like.

HORSE is actually cool with Chiodos now for some reason. around 2005-2007 they had this hilarious little feud going on. It was more like HORSE just straight up trolling Chiodos for no reason. In that period, if you went to a HORSE show and threw a Chiodos shirt up on stage, they would take it and give you a free HORSE shirt.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

:siren: HORSE the Band will be participating in the next front page Q & A! :siren:

If you have something you'd like to ask HORSE the Band, you can post it here, send it to me in a private message, or e-mail it to me at garbageday@somethingawful.com.

Musically, HORSE the Band is a polarizing act in most online metalcore communities, and it seems this one is no exception. However, even people who don't dig keyboard breakdowns can usually respect that these are funny dudes who don't mind laughing at themselves and bantering with their hecklers. They've definitely had some unique adventures, too, most notably booking their own sparingly promoted and largely uncompensated 45-country tour in 2008. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for what should be a great Q & SA!

Ask them if they wrote Rape Escape with the Prokofiev piano cadenza in mind the whole time, or did they come to the end of the song and think "hey, Prokofiev's 2nd Concerto cadenza would sound perfect here"?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I've gotten really into Cephalic Carnage lately. They are super heavy, but what I love most is some of the completely insane, experimental interludes and riffs they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G14u64D-Sc&feature=related 2:12 is my fav part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVdSpt39OE

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Both BTBAM shows I went to, the crowd was very respectful of the bands other than BTBAM

even though last time there were five bands before BTBAM and most of them sucked balls (three Jacksonville local bands, Veil of Maya all sucked. Animals as Leaders was pretty cool.), there was only one or two guys actively heckling.

The worst part was the windmills, spinkicks etc. for all the opening bands. I feel like that poo poo is heckling in dance form, personally, but I don't know what it's intended to be.

speaking of BTBAM, The Great Misdirect has become rather disappointing, now that a substantial amount of time has passed, I just never feel like listening to any song from it except Disease, Injury, Madness

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

Veil of Maya does not suck.

most of the people at the show would agree with you too. I don't know what to say except I think they do?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

eh. It WAS a modern day BTBAM show. I wasn't expecting literally every single opening band except one to be horrifically generic breakdown showcases I guess.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

whatever happened to that HtB Q/A?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

yeah you could still ask them on myspace or their website. I like a lot of their t-shirt designs but wish there were more!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

SA: As someone who coined the term "Nintendocore," please rate "crabcore" solely as a genre name.

HTB: We recently grew as people and play Crabgaze now. Nintendocore is done. It's garbage. Crabgaze. It's a little more shoe-gazy than traditional crabcore. It's pretty good. Crabgaze.

Hahaha. Interview runs tomorrow, it's pretty great. I think everyone's questions from here got answered, even the weiner one.

Hahahaha.

I just watched their "48 Hours in Ukraine" DVD. I was expecting a little bit more on the music/performances side rather than a handful of lovely quality Ukraine shows. The majority of it is the band being really drunk and obnoxious but it's pretty funny

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I recently "discovered" two bands that I think are pretty good, and I figured I'd share 'em with this thread (although you guys have probably heard of them already).

Broadcast the Nightmare is one, and I like their instrumentation, but the vocals are kinda meh.

Also, I like Within the Ruins as well. Tractor Pull owns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhOiFhO744

Someone jacked your avatar dude!

Wretched is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7owGctTbMek

vocals are meh but I love the instrumental aspect a shitton

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Faux Shoah posted:

They're incredibly boring and generic.

Come on now. Oceano was just posted last page. Everything is fairgame.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, any tips on going to a concert yourself? I've never done it before. Is it considered loserish?

Who cares? At shows I don't even really talk to the people I go with that much (usually can't hear poo poo anyone is saying after a song or two) and if you go alone....well, who cares?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

HORSE in Africa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6urvCzg_5Q

:3

and man, listening to Worse Than Alone makes me really miss #12 Looks Like You, even though I don't like any of their other stuff too much.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

That's because there is a goon who was the guitarist for Glass Casket.

Holy poo poo, Dusty's a goon!?

:p

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

elTeddy posted:

whoa unearth and the black dahlia murder are playing here in NZ for forty bucks... that is seriously cheap.

Is it really now? I have no clue how big Unearth is but I've seen BDM several times for less than 20 bucks.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I'm gonna go to that Cool Tour but I hope it's more BTBAM than anything and the less As I Lay Dying the better.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

That's only every metal video ever :rolleyes:

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

elbkaida posted:

We butter the bread with butter have a new album out, mostly continuing their deathcore-with-goofy-lyrics-and-synthesizer-sprinkled-on-top sound. They got some dudes to play the live shows with, so its not just singer and guitarist anymore. Makes for more interesting live sound, but less unique show. :)

A lot of people hate on them for being silly and playing lovely music, but I really like their stuff. As long as they are just having fun and don't take themselves serious, it's all cool by me.

I really was dead set on hating this band reading your description and their myspace, but the songs I heard are pretty unique and at times pretty cool.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

MalConstant posted:

Oh man! Wretched's new album 'Beyond The Gate' comes out August 3rd and I can't wait for that poo poo to drop. Their debut came out last year and it was one of my favs of 2009 and this is shaping up to be better in every way.

Check out this new track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTk2FI5uYM8

It was good, but compared to Fall Of Ideals? Not even close IMO. I'm anxious to see how their new album is going to turn out now that they've got Adam D back onboard.

Wretched is loving awesome. Exodus of Autonomy is one of my favorite albums in a long time.

Loving the power-metal looking album cover. This song is just okay to me though. I LOVE this other new one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6HTD2qGDPw&feature=related

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

fuf posted:

Guys, guys, guys.

I love all this poo poo, but I don't like the vocal stylings that a lot of these bands go for.

Maybe there are some super sweet instrumental tracks that you enjoy? Maybe you could post some for me? :shobon:

OR, maybe there are some bands with a different vocal style? I like growling just fine, I just don't like the screaming thing.

You gotta be more specific. You mean you like the low pitched growling, but not the more high pitched shrieking, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

MalConstant posted:

This guy can scream and pull off some sick growls, but his singing voice is...sub-par. Especially live. At least the solo is decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HG0a1DhFPI

EDIT: Web rip quality.

I find this the case with most bands that have harsh and clean vocals. The clean singing is basically always constantly flat or sharp. The best I've heard was probably Tommy from BTBAM, but even he would go out of key quite often and it doesn't help that Paul's backing vocals are consistently flat.