Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I love HHLL. Their last album was kinda...weird...but the other one is still sick tits and I still love the end breakdown in Tell Shannon to Get Her Crafts Ready way more than any human should. Anyone who says they sound ANYTHING like IWABO has no ears though I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone like Abiotic? Tech deathcore from Miami. Their first album came out a few weeks ago. They are gnarly.

http://youtu.be/tuz-Rtce6KA

New Rolo Tomassi comes out tomorrow. My most anticipated release of the entire year.

http://vimeo.com/49943117

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

krustster posted:

It is pretty sick nasty but I was really annoyed that the 10 track "full length" was just their debut 7-song EP with three more songs added. I HATE THAT poo poo

I agree 100%. Also for some reason I prefer the EP mix for some of these songs.

also, not feeling new Rings of Saturn at all...or that band in general. new album is lame and gay and sped up.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

thegloaming posted:

So I'm not really a metalcore fan (in that I don't listen to a lot of it), but I picked up All We Love We Leave Behind and Parallax II: Future Sequence and I'm looking for similar progressive kind of stuff. What albums would you guys recommend from those two bands' respective catalogs?

Converge, check out Jane Doe or Forever Comes Crashing

BTBAM is a little tricky, but if you like Parallax 2 then check out Colors or The Great Misdirect. If you want to hear their earlier, less progressive and more metal/deathcore stylings then check out Alaska or The Silent Circus

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

muike posted:

Alaska is the best BTBAM album but no one except me seems to understand this clear truth. It's not a prog album, though, so eh. You'd probably just like everything that came after Alaska. Colors, Great Misdirect, Parallax 1. As far as Converge, basically every Converge album except the first are just about as good as each other in my opinion.

I've been an ardent Colors warrior ever since it came out but Alaska is really really up there. It's still got a progressive slint to it. hell, you could even say that the band has been trying to recreate Selkies over and over again ever since. It's also got a lot less extra fluff and filler that their more recent albums do. It's fantastic either way.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I hate to be self-promotey, but i'm curious to hear thoughts on my band's new song hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrHIJiuUtI

got to play with Aegaeon a few weeks ago. they were ridiculously tight and heavy live. i'd never heard them before and was really impressed. their recorded music kinda pales in comparison but it's still pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgzR_g7b85A

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

new IWABO is absolutely terrible, and I liked that band. if you want something in that kind of silly deathcore realm, just listen to the new Arsonists get all the girls, instead. it's not Evanescence-core and its just really good. reminds me of Hits from the Bow

https://www.arsonistsgetallthegirls.bandcamp.com/

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

hope someone here likes mathcore :<

https://spiresofthelunarsphere.bandcamp.com/releases

this is my band's first single! we're trying to go for that early/mid-2000s spazz math era of daughters and #12 and all the other no-rules heavy bands from back then. experimental metal/hardcore is in a really boring place for me right now, so i wanted to make something super self indulgent and weird but also have fun doing it and not be up my own rear end with seriousness like i'm Fallujah or something.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

I love mathcore and I'm a big fan of #12 and Unexpect (though it's very hard to do a style similar to Unexpect well), so naturally I checked this out. Your progressions are pretty logical for the most part and it grooves well, so no complaints (though the first minute or so feels a bit disorganized), but the 3:30 section is by far the most interesting part of the song. Reminds me of Journal, in how it moves from those dissonant spazzy bits into a floaty, beautiful section. I hope you guys focus on that side of your sound, since a balance of spazz, groove and good melody is something not many bands can pull off, and it's much more enjoyable (to me at least) than stuff that is just "avant-garde" for the sake of it. Your style has a lot of potential, though, and I'm very keen to see how it develops :)

I'd ask if you're familiar with any of these bands:
Peculate, Painted In Exile, The Palindrome Sequence, bilo'u, The Dali Thundering Concept, Flub, Ultrageist, Circuit of Suns, Lye By Mistake, Candiria, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, Today I Caught The Plague, and Journal (as mentioned above).

All are on the more experimental side of the metalcore spectrum and might have some good ideas and approaches to take inspiration from.

Flub, Lye By Mistake and Journal are all some of my favorite bands! I love Exotic Animal's first album, but not the second one very much. My vocalist is very much obsessed with Unexpect, and I like them too but it's not quite what I'm trying to go for as far as the musicality goes. Like you said, it's very difficult to pull off the orchestration that Unexpect does. I'd probably say my biggest single influence is HORSE the Band, but it's not too apparent in this song. Actually, anything with an emphasis on electronics and synthesizers, HORSE, Rolo Tomassi or Genghis Tron is my biggest weakness as far as -core and metal music goes. I'd love to hear more bands in that vein if you know any!

I agree with you! My main infatuation lately is the dynamic between abrasive grindiness and dainty ambience and catchy melodies. This was our first single because its a little more deathcore-centric than the other songs, all of which are much more about the collision of contradicting moods. Thanks for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

my band's openin up for Cattle Decap and Abiotic in november! yay! honestly did not think we would get on this show because we're not death metal lol.

I've played with Abiotic in my old band a bunch of times. they are really good, but I didn't really care much for their newest album. It's fine tech-death, but it doesn't have that spacey sci-fi sound that their EP and first album did. The newer vocalist is way generic compared to Ray. Still stoked to see them again because their live show is perfection.