Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Misogynist posted:

stuff about metalcore

I'm not going to argue with you about whether what you've said is true or not because I am sure it is in many respects in some places, and totally true in others. The fact is though, those are problems with any genre of music. And while I don't exactly appreciate the fact that some bands aren't being creative with their music and are following the metalcore explosion, I still enjoy the music and in case you haven't noticed, bands in all genres rip each other off and have trends in their music.

And as far as fans go, there are many fans of metalcore who go to shows and truly enjoy the music. I used to go to shows every weekend 2-3 times a week, and it wasn't because I loved the shows more than the music. Sure there are fans that are like that, but I see an awful lot of faggoty "real" metal kids around and a lot of wanna-be "gangsters" and such.

Basically your argument assumes that every fan is like that and that the hate is somehow warranted because of the fact that it is popular. Hell, I don't think that the Vanna band that was discussed earlier makes the most original music in the scene, but it is well composed and fun to listen to.

sorry that probably wasn't super coherent.

I really don't like the boring breakdown trend however, and if a band is going to make breakdowns from this point forward I think it should be the main point to make sure they are well composed/unique/not in every song or at least sound really really cool :)

Its a pretty good song, but i don't understand how it is "desperate" and such how the article describes.

really cool song actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

This is understandable as long as you're not going to say that "lovely people = lovely music" (or lovely fans = lovely music) which a lot of people have done lately. I agree about both them being lovely and their typical fans being poorly dressed and sometimes annoying, but personally I don't really think about it much and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of their album... I just won't go to their shows. :c00l:

Why not? From what I heard they put on a good show.

vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8CU_thTx3o

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

TheIneff posted:

Okay well since you put it like that.

I think the fact that you enjoy Emmure shows that in all ways demonstrable, you have objectively terrible taste in music. Emmure are generic, boring and just plain bad musicians. They pump the brocore crowd up because of their "gently caress BITCHES, DUDE" attitude that's in every single one of their cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes. They are part of the reason why metalcore get's absolutely no respect. By listening to and enjoying Emmure, you're not only stupid, but you are damaging the credibility of a great genre

Oh, and they're also fat. Very fat. I bet you're fat, fatty.

You are loving stupid. It is very easy to water down their music into a quick summary of "cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes".

Part of the reason they are so enjoyed is because most of their breakdowns are NOT cookie-cutter, and the music is well composed in terms of break-people's-faces-rage music. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, but you thinking that does NOT take credibility away from his argument that ALL THESE loving ARGUMENTS OVER WHAT BAND IS "NOT REAL MUSIC" or is "COOKIE-CUTTER" or WHATEVER is going nowhere and please oh god please just shut the gently caress up and talk about music

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

The genre doesn't suck. But in comparison to the old metalcore thread this is filled with scene wankery.

Some scene wankery is fun. Anyway, feel free to bring up some other, less wanker-filled bands because i also enjoy those.

Speaking of, does anyone else like the new Dance Gavin Dance album? Its like chilled out sometimes, kinda heavy sometimes, but strangely soothing all the way through. I really hated the second album and the new singer because it sounded to me like he was just trying to bite Jonny's style, but on this album he found his voice and its a lot more natural-sounding.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Also does anyone else love Chiodos? I have a feeling some of you may regard them as "scene wankery" but they are really so much more :3:

edit: and for those who were hating on Emmure, you can't listen to "Chicago's Finest" and tell me that isn't an epic song

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 5, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Pantalones! posted:

listen to "when keeping it real goes wrong" and tell me that isn't the worst song you've ever heard.

WON'T YOU BE MY BRIDE? What the gently caress is that poo poo.

And no, no one loves Chiodos. They suck dick too. This is the worst thread. I'm amazed at how constantly you guys name drop horrible poo poo.

I disagree on both points? Why don't you just get the hell out of this thread.
Chiodos' first album is mostly golden.
edit: as far as "keeping it real goes," the wont you be my bride part is the weakest part of an otherwise intense face-punching song.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hahah. Here is a local band. I'm sure their one song sounds terrible to y'all but I like it for beating people up

http://www.myspace.com/noremorsetx

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Just listened to new ETID.... me likey..

edit: i usually don't like them either, but this just sounds groovy and at the same time erratic and wonderful 8)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

delusionsofgrandure posted:

I am extremely excited for DEP's Option Paralyis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBrJU4nd0w

My Children My Bride anyone? The first riff sounds kind of like a videogame theme tune...

I love MCMB they put on a great show and are one of the first *big* bands I saw live. I even chilled with Matt after the show and he was chill as gently caress, althought this was back in 2006 or so I think.

However, something tells me they won't receive much love here :(

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
yeah liferuiner is not really straight edge from what i hear. same thing with MCMB, this girl i know swears to christ that they spent the night at her house and got shitfaced and ended up pouring a bottle of vodka in their fish tank, killing all the fish.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Business Raptor posted:

My buddy used to play bass for Life Ruiner, and he used to be very straight edge - he even has "X" Tattoos. When he decided he wanted to smoke weed because it's a great time they kicked him out of the band and called him a poser and all his poo poo, then wrote a song about him. It's pretty old and it's from back when they were still playing small sceney shows, so maybe they've changed, but I know for a fact that back then they were obnoxiously straight edge.

Hahahahha thats hilarious, which song was it...?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Saosin's new album is out. Hugely disappointing for me, I like a couple tracks such as Fireflies, On My Own, and the Japanese bonus track but man there are a lot of throwaway, what-the-gently caress-were-they-trying (not in a good way :/) songs on this album.

Its like they were trying to move away from post-hardcore, but just ended up sounding like lovely soft rock with some cool guitars :/

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Haha I've been jamming I See Stars, they sound a *lot* better than their recordings live, especially the clean vocals, but anyway you should give this song a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N956gyD-8wg

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
What, the whole album? I just heard the new track on myspace and it sounds alright.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay I know I said the Saosin album was bad and I would still say it is a disappointment but it definitely has a couple stand out tracks and the rest at least grow to be decent to the ears

this song in particular is excellent (bonus some silly video of them chilling "performing")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DYewKvumcQ

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
WHOA album is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8trg7RHtI

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The youtube videos dont work anymore :( whose "WHOA"?

Not WHOA, Despised Icon. :)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

the Bunt posted:

Why are there two vocalists? They sound nearly identical!

apparently one does high/lows and one does mids.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
My friend got free tickets to see BMTH and ETID at the House of Blues tommorow :) yesssss

edit: Also, if anyones interested, BMTH has a pretty cool electronic-remix album coming out. One song is up on their myspace, and heres another (imho much better) song:

http://hypem.com/track/603991/Bring+Me+The+Horizon+-+Pray+For+Plagues+Disco+Villains+Remix+

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 25, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Wamsutta posted:

pls post ETID setlist if you get a chance, I'm going to this show on 10/5 in Long Island

I'll do my best to remember.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Well, my friend stole the setlist on the last song when everybody got on stage, but I wasn't familiar with the songs really so I can't remember. I do know they started off (or maybe it was second song?) with that New Roman song or whatever, and the second to last song was For The Record. It also said ebolorama on the setlist but idk if they played it.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
"friends" :(

I'm going to go see Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance on Saturday. gently caress yes.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay, who moshes

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

I like pits they are pretty fun.

Agreed

i like adding a little energy to a show

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

If I wanted to run laps, I'd go to a gym or something.

I could sympathize with you up to this. Sometimes its kinda gay, but it can be kinda fun. I have been trampled before several times though (Set Your Goals drat you!!)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah I can understand that. back when I first started going to shows me and my buddies were bigger moshfiends, but now its pretty much just when i feel the RAGE

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Oh Sleeper puts on a great show (I recently found out :P)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
For Parkway Drive fans, I've never heard this song before and here is an awesome video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeMwSzX8fk

"Unrest"

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Every time I try to listen to BTBAM I have been disappointed. The one song I could sit through fairly easily was "Obfuscation" or whatever.

I'd rather listen to this really http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N956gyD-8wg

edit: seriously. just listen to that breakdown. awesome.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 22, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

plester1 posted:

Is this serious? It sounds like that crabcore band.

Yeah, I mean I know its not-hip to like that kind of sound but I think I See Stars pulls it off well and makes for a great show.
I don't like Attack Attack! or Breathe Carolina or Brokencyde which is more what I see as "crabcore."

If you listen to all of these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlioSo_UHBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhWSP-Vank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9CT7qnP2k

And still hear no redeeming values, then I understand you just don't like that sound. And I can see why, but I enjoy melodic-yet-heavy poppy stuff. Their breakdowns generally don't feel like they just threw a chug chug chug in for the sake of chug chug chugging. They kind of fit in with the song

Also, they make awesome hitting-people music live

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 23, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah, I used to love Stick To Your Guns because their first album was loving awesomely composed hard/metalcore but the new album was, besides a few highlight moments, a disappointingly sheepish direction for them to go in, despite their "gently caress YOU I BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE!!!" attitude.

ALSO, @ the horse the band description: Thats awesome, and its all true too right?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Traitorous Leopard posted:

improvement over the last one. Aspiration, in particular, is an amazing song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8cyGRgyns

That song is, admittedly.... brutal.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Business Raptor posted:

Just missing it at February 2009, the solo at about a minute into the song Wet Warthog by The Heartland (broken up :smith:) is definitely a candidate of 2009's Best Solo award.
http://www.myspace.com/theheartland

BONUS: In their blogs there's a fairly well-recorded live show, with a flawless rendition of the solo and the rest of their songs.

hahah they are sick I have seen them twice. sad about the break up :( a truly unique sound.

edit: that (in theory) poo poo is dope

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Was someone seriously plugging Alesana earlier? Lol.

Here is a local band that has changed forms many times in the past years, I think they are pretty moshtastic:

http://www.myspace.com/noremorsetx

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

ShoogaSlim posted:

Listening to bands like this just puts a dumb grin on my face because you know it's meant to just dance really obnoxiously to. Sound a little like very early Bury Your Dead when they were actually decent.

Haha, drat if this isn't true, but they do it better than most bands I have ever seen, both signed or unsigned. It creates a atmosphere of violent tension, it's awesome.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
gently caress all those bands *plugs BMTH into his rear end in a top hat*

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
New music video from that local band I posted earlier. Haha.

http://vimeo.com/8492753

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Thirding/whatevering Integrity. Used to really jam them alot, and some bands around here went through a copycat phase

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Garbage Day posted:

:siren: HORSE the Band will be participating in the next front page Q & A! :siren:

If you have something you'd like to ask HORSE the Band, you can post it here, send it to me in a private message, or e-mail it to me at garbageday@somethingawful.com.

Musically, HORSE the Band is a polarizing act in most online metalcore communities, and it seems this one is no exception. However, even people who don't dig keyboard breakdowns can usually respect that these are funny dudes who don't mind laughing at themselves and bantering with their hecklers. They've definitely had some unique adventures, too, most notably booking their own sparingly promoted and largely uncompensated 45-country tour in 2008. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for what should be a great Q & SA!

Who has the biggest weiner in the group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Stupid, stupid, pointless arguments. Back to the music.