Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finally, a -core thread :)

These are a bit older, from 2008, but albums i feel everyone should check out nonetheless:

Misery Signals- Controller : Favorite ablum of 08. The vocals are harsh and epic sounding, yet never seem to grate. Great instrumentals, and just the general mood of the album is awesome.

Trivium - Shogun : They stopped trying to be metallica clones (lol crusade). Screaming returns, and its generally their most melodic album to date. The album itself is kinda a mixed bag: about half of the songs are great, while the other half tread between good and boring as gently caress.

All That Remains - Overcome : I'll admit, i hated this album at first. For some reason it just grew on me. Still not as good as The Fall Of Ideals (they'll probably never top that, lets be honest) but still worth a listen.

edit- I listened to the new Arsonists, and i thought the first 3 or 4 tracks were great. Then the rest of the album played :( it just seems to loose all of its edge, and i got bored with it halfway through. The loving thing seemed like it dragged forever, which is a shame because you wouldn't think that from the first couple of songs.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Atreyu, and Bullet For My Valentine also have new albums coming out in the fall. Excited for both of those, BFMV's output has been nothing but stellar (only what, two albums, but still) and all you have to do for atreyu is forget that they ever made lead sails :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can someone explain to me whats supposed to make God Forbid good?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Actually just got done listening to Black Dahlia's Murders "Nocturnal" and its pretty :rock:

Although its a good thing its a short album, since it only has one gear the entire time (kick you in the face) so after awhile it could grate i suppose.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New shadows fall song is streaming on there myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/shadowsfall

Wow, its pretty good. Sounds better than anything off threads of life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Converge always strikes me as one of those bands that everybody cites as a major influence on -core, but nobody actually likes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShimaTetsuo posted:

You are dead wrong and you need to stop hanging out with stupid people with bad taste

Please, explain your reasoning behind your opinion. I'm not trying to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat; im genuinely curious.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Im not sure what Cancer Bats would be considered, but there new album is really good. I had a chance to see them live last year when they opened for Bullet, and initally wrote them off (there live performance was terrible) but drat, i should have listened to them sooner.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

-Atom- posted:

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.

Guess i saw them on an off night then, but yeah, Hail Destroyer kicks rear end.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Bryan posted:

Their first 2 albums were really good, but the third album is a littly too poppy but its still ok it got them alot of new fans too.

Uhm, they havent really changed between "For those who have heart" and "Homesick". I mean really, they sound like the same album pretty much.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pres posted:

As much as I love ADTR me and my mates have a running joke about their hilarious lyrics before breakdowns.

DISRESPECT YOU SURROUNDINGS!

I know im echoing what 3 or 4 people before me have said, but me and my friends do the same thing.

Another good one is; "PICK UP YOUR FEET!"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Traitorous Leopard posted:

E: So it's clear that most people feel the same way about ADTR's lyrics. I don't particularly care for them too much either - they remind me of the scourge to music that is Hollywood Undead.

That's a little harsh, dont ya think? ADTR's songs are almost always catchy and fun, its just there breakdowns that suck.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ok, it was a bit much, but their lyrics are loosely similar to Hollywood Undead's...

You guys are lucky to have friends who listen to the same music as you do. I have one - my roommate. Here in the Bible-belt everyone assumes screaming/growling = devil music :argh:

All those christian-metalcore/deathcore bands must make him :psyduck: then

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New shadows fall song/video is out:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/08/11/new-shadows-fall-video-will-make-your-dick-rise/

Lots of affliction shirts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

I am going to see Killswitch Engage with All That Remains and Unearth on Saturday at Jones Beach for $15. It's like MA exploded all over Wantagh NY and I get to partake in the awesomeness. I am psyched.

I was supposed to go to this, but cant get off of work in time :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

krustster posted:

in other news I have obtained the new Black Dahlia Murder (through legitimate means, though it may be out officially now) and it sounds really good so far. Obviously similar to Nocturnal but it seems faster and more action-packed.

edit: doesn't hit stores till the 15th but it's probably floating around out there now. Listen to "Black Valor" for best results.

I didn't think they could improve upon nocturnal, but holy poo poo this album is just better in every way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Shadows Fall new album "Retribution" is floating around out there, and its pretty drat good. Definitely a return to there Art Of Balance/War Within days, since i personally thought "Threads Of Life" sucked.

Anybody hear it yet?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

I know I'm really late to the party on this one but I just grabbed Unearth's "The March" and man this is loving GREAT. I haven't listened to them regularly since the Oncoming Storm days and I feel like a rube now. So jammin'.

Thanks for the suggestion, im gonna have to check this out. Ive never listened to Unearth before :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kajeto posted:

Talking about The Black Dahlia Murder, I've always been in a love-hate relationship with this band. By the time Miasma came out I went to see them live and they were fun as hell. But by the second time I got to see them, I just walked away in the middle of their set, bored and annoyed as gently caress. I don't know what it is. Sometimes I just can't stand them.

However, I've been enjoying Nocturnal quite a lot, it took me a while to get over the constant high-pitched vocals though. And Deflorate sounds pretty good from what I've heard so far.

Were there more high-pitched vocals on Nocturnal then Miasma? I thought it followed pretty much the same flow...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

Going to see Darkest Hour and Trivium tonight out on Long Island. I will be in the parking lot drinking beer during White Chapel's set (they're on first) because seriously, gently caress those guys/their fans. I'm mainly going for Darkest Hour, but don't mind Trivium either.

At the Crazy Donkey, right? I was supposed to go to that, but im going to visit MY GIRLFRIEND instead. I also missed Killswitch/All That Remains at Jones beach a couple of weeks back. Been missing alot of shows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Atreyu has a new song up on there myspace for their upcoming album "Congregation of the damned"

They've said in interviews and poo poo that the album sounds alot more like The Curse (great) then Lead Sails (pure poo poo) and judging by the song, it sounds about right.

http://www.myspace.com/atreyurock

Pretty solid, looking forward to the album. The Curse/Deathgrip are two of my favorite albums.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

WHOA album is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8trg7RHtI

The youtube videos dont work anymore :( whose "WHOA"?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

You are loving high, Maylene is amazing. I love ATR (although Overcome is p. weak compared to Fall of Ideals and This Darkened Heart) and would be psyched to see them with Maylene. Lacuna Coil... meh. Used to like them, not so much anymore.

I liked overcome. :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ok, so October 29th, Atreyu is playing in NYC.

With Hollywood undead. gently caress.

Their co-headlining, so how many songs do you think i'll get to see atreyu play? I love atreyu, lead sails was lovely but other than that there awesome. Hollywood undead on the other had...ugh.

Just want to know if im going to get to see a decent amount of atreyu, or if there gonna play 5 or 6 songs...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So the new atreyu album is floating around out there (get's released tomorrow) and ive listened to it a couple of times now.

It basically sounds like Deathgrip part 2, which isn't a bad thing i guess. It definitely doesent have the teeth that Suicide Notes/The Curse did though, seems like that went out the window with Deathgrip.

Atleast its not another Lead Sails :psyduck: god that album was loving terrible. The good songs on Congregation are really good, but that bad ones are just mediocre and forgettable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

plester1 posted:

Still waiting for a winning crunk-screamo combination.

Isnt this basically Hollywood Undead? :barf:

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't think its that a band can't progress their sound, I think its just bad when a band decides to recreate themselves and wind up becoming something completely different where it turns into a slap in the face to any fans that have respect and passion for their "old" sound. Most bands that do this wind up getting a much larger audience as a result and it really makes you wonder what their real agenda was to change their style. Bands like Unearth, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, etc. They all changed their sound, now have a much larger audience selling out big venues and they all sound drastically different from the style they broke out with. Bands like Red Chord have been around a long time and they stille end sets with Dreaming in Dog Years and they still release quality material and have awesome as poo poo live shows. My favorite band, Acacia Strain, has only gotten better with each album.

The state of this scene sadly is now in the hands of lovely bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Devil Wears Prada, where there are more girls at shows trying to grab the singer's dick than actually appreciating the music and not just seeing it as the new nu-metal to rebel against preppy high schoolers with.

Honestly I listen to mostly bands that have already broken up because a lot of the current stuff is just really unbearable.

So what's wrong with listening to those bands circa 2003/2004? That's what most people do anyway. Nobody actually thinks Killswitch is still pumping out good music; but most people that share your views seem like they try to pretend that those bands never actually put out anything good.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Spiral posted:

All people need to stop loving complaining on the internet. Do something about it if your precious "scene" is dying, start a band. Start a magazine. Print T-shirts, make something better.

:goonsay:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Whatever; i'll listen and talk about the music i enjoy. You do the same.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Blitz7x posted:

Yesssssss. For some reason it took me months to find this thread and apparently I like "metalcore" even though I don't know what the gently caress it is. A quick wikipedia search shows me names such as Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, All that Remains, Killswitch, ect. So I'm in the right place before I say something stupid right?

Yes, your in the right place.

Bullet should have a new album coming out soon, atreyu just had one come out. It's "OK", nothing great though.

Killswitch's new album is terrible.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

get that mainstream poo poo out of this thread :smug:

I only listen to bands i find on myspace and lovely demos my friends give me, your not doing it right :smug:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Apparently The Rev from avenged sevenfold died :(

Gonna listen to Waking The Fallen now (it's there best record) in honor.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I know this is probably gonna start a loving riot of retarded assholes ranting and raving about stupid poo poo, but a new Bullet for my valentine song recently came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnkDPW4zX4

I think its really good, better than the majority of Scream Aim Fire's songs...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Trivium recorded a new song for the God of War 3 EP and it fuckin RIPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUf1bbMTa8

Seems like there new drummer injected some life into the band. I liked Shogun alot, but i thought it was a bit...lethargic compared to there previous works in terms of pacing.

This song loving kills it though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So, any tips on going to a concert yourself? I've never done it before. Is it considered loserish?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cock Soup posted:

My band's album is finally out, and since we're only selling them at shows, I'm pretty sure you guys will never get a chance to buy it. So, here's a Something Awful exclusive free download link for the full album. Feedbacks are more than welcome.

If you want some info about the music before downloading, I'd qualify the music we do as Melodic Deathcore, with a slight twist. As the main composer for the band, my main influences are As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, and pretty much all the music I've ever listened to.

Hey, this is pretty good. I was expecting it to suck, but it doesent! :)

I really like the Black Dahlia vibe, as someone else pointed out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Overcome was loving awesome, haters are just hating for the sake of being cool :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MalConstant posted:

Another new Within The Ruins song!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. I can't loving wait for the album.

:gizz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-GyX69J8s

I feel like its 2 minutes too long :sigh:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New all that remains song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbnSLALTUzA

Pretty loving sick :black101:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

A5H posted:

Got tickets for Parkway Drive, Comeback Kid, Bleeding Through, Emmure, Your Demise, War From A Harlots Mouth, We Came As Romans. November. Pretty stoked!

Jesus Christ, is that all one tour? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Misery Signals really needs to come out with something new.... there last album "Controller" was loving awesome, my favorite of 08 actually.

Its then kind of album you listen to on a cold December night and just feel completely engrossed in it. It has this sort of Hollow/empty/dreamlike sound to it which really sets it apart from other bands/albums in the same genre IMO.