Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

That album art photo is pretty drat amazing.

Why can't I be as cool as them? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I've been listening to Vanna a bit longer, and I gotta agree that they are just a fun band to listen to

edit: :3: just didn't seem appropriate, not sure why I almost always have to put a smilie at the end of my posts :argh:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

I was going to say "it's because you're a human being!" then I realized you are a pretty good poster, so I guess I don't know what to tell you.

:byodood:

:glomp:

I mean uhhh...

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

What have you got against them? I'll admit that I like metalcore in general, but I can make the difference between good metalcore/deathcore (Whitechapel, Despised Icon, Carnifex,Blind Witness, August Burns Red) and bad one (Oceano, Underneath The Gun, The Crimson Armada, Emmure). I'd like you to explain your point of view on Whitechapel as to why they should be considered as sucky?

As for Suicide Silence, 4 months ago, I would have defended them, but their new album is just so god drat awful.

Ok, but you have to admit that Whitechapel's second CD wasn't very good. Their first one kicked all kinds of rear end, though.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

mr.vj posted:

I wrote a review on https://www.metal-jerks.com (goon-run metal review site) for This Is Exile, and I tried my best to review the music fairly, and so far from the people that I know of who read it seemed to agree with me on all points. I will say that Whitechapel do know how to play their instruments, but know nothing about interesting song structures.

You should have reviewed The Somatic Defilement. This is Exile is poop and it also sounds a lot like JFAC's Genesis CD which is also poop.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-DJoVfXv0w&feature=related for instance is better than anything on This Is Exile. The song really picks up around the 1:25 mark

Edit2: subscriiiiiiiiiiiibe plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 4, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

plester1 posted:

I consider The Price of Existence the crown jewel of "deathcore". I don't listen to much else in the genre because it all pales in comparison.

There is No Business to be Done on a Dead Planet :holy:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

mr.vj posted:

This entire thread is like looking into a civil war; it's hilarious. This thread is like a PSA telling me what bands I should completely skip over or listen to for a good laugh. A lot of bands turning the genre into one gigantic fashion show? Getting a raging boner because of a machine gun sampled-breakdown? Music is dead.

I'm not gonna lie... I did get a semi the first time I heard it.

Does that make me a bad person?

Also, what's peoples' beef with breakdowns in general? Why are they thought of as generally bad?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

And on a completely unrelated note, TERRORHORSE just added me as a friend on Facebook... anyone heard of them (http://www.myspace.com/TERRORHORSE)?

Kinda sound a little like Danza, but with a lemon twist :3:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Good bands?

Blood Has Been Shed ain't nothin' ta gently caress wit'. I lost my copies of their first two albums. That makes me sad. Time to listen to Spirals.

I only listened to one song on Youtube, but they remind me a lot of KSE - not particularly fond of them. Any recommendations for better songs than "She Speaks to Me"?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

They probably remind you of KSE because Howard Jones is the frontman... She Speaks To Me is their most "mainstream" song if you can even come close to calling BHBS that.

Faded Pictures, Faded Memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0hkqX81uM&feature=related

That's a good taste of BHBS even if the recording quality's not perfect.

Edit: Check out "Wetwork" and "Six Twelve" too.

drat, now that was good. They put on a pretty good live show, too, it looks like.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Hahah. Here is a local band. I'm sure their one song sounds terrible to y'all but I like it for beating people up

http://www.myspace.com/noremorsetx

The song is decent, but there's nothing really unique about it.

And about ETID... I don't get what people like about them so much... to be honest their music kinda bores me.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Bleh, MCMB... never really cared for them.

Anyone heard The Irish Front? I'm not really sure what they're up to at the moment (haven't paid attention since the release of Universe), but they've made some pretty awesome music - especially their first CD/EP or whatever. Fun stuff.

My favorite song from their EP is Carnavorium which doesn't have a decent quality video on youtube, I'll keep looking to see if I can find one.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

STOP THE PRESSES EVERYONE. Listen to Symphony In Peril - The Whore's Trophy, it's probably one of the heaviest metalcore record ever made.

Surely everyone's seen this video (relevant)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71WjTKYnx48

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

A5H posted:

I'm not a fan of this band, but the video makes me smile :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxQEygJFjY

D'awwwwwwww

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I haven't seen these guys mentioned yet, so what's everyone's opinion on See You Next Tuesday? I only have their Parasite CD, but it's pretty drat awesome imo

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

SpeeMar posted:

I want this. BAD. But I dont understand what you mean by "at tryyb"

Instant Message (AIM) him at "tryyb", tryyb is his AIM screen name.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MalConstant posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEM9W14TsWQ

Music is good, but the 2 vocalists look like faggots.

God that video is awful. Song is pretty cool though.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

agreed, album fucken owns. Featuring "MVP" and also...well, just about every song on there owns.

Just listened to MVP myself, and it's pretty drat awesome. Reminds me quite a bit of Beneath the Massacre tbh

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

For Parkway Drive fans, I've never heard this song before and here is an awesome video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeMwSzX8fk

"Unrest"

That song sounds loving awesome from the little I could hear of it... why can't I live in an area that these kinds of band regularly tour? :(

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

plester1 posted:

Is this serious? It sounds like that crabcore band.

I thought it was pretty drat good :colbert:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Anyone have any opinions on Through the Eyes of the Dead? Just picked them back up recently, and even though their later stuff is more Death Metal than any -core, it's still pretty drat awesome.

Earlier Deathcore stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhCddD2NHY

Later Death Metal stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNiTW-I7azI (love the opening, but it does drag on a little too long in my opinion)

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

plester1 posted:

I loved The Scars of Ages EP but everything else was totally forgettable IMO.

I guess I kind of agree with this - Bloodlust was pretty meh overall. Malice is alright, but it can get boring I guess.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

-Atom- posted:

You people really read the 'Influences' section and take something away from that?

Yeah, I always figured influences was just a list of bands the band members happen to like. I wouldn't expect many people to take it super seriously.

And on the subject of I Declare War, they do have some really fun music, I especially love their Christmas mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZsgcCsc-0

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Mazel Tov posted:

I was there when they recorded those songs, took so many takes just to do anything because we all couldn't stop laughing

It's pretty much the best Christmas music ever :colbert:

Really gets ya in the holiday mood.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't expect a band's Influences section to be taken super seriously. But I think if you take your music seriously whatsoever you should at least take 3 seconds to put down some bands that actually influence your passion for music and not who you think kids will read and say "hey I like those bands too, sweet!"

I always figured most of the bands I listen to don't really take themselves seriously at all :shobon: Otherwise the whole screaming about torture, murder, dismemberment, and making sweet, sweet love to pizza might be kinda awkward.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

I've been looking for Athiest metal bands for a long time now. There seem to be very few or they at least go unnoticed due to the literal swarms of Christian-core or whatever you want to call it that's flooding the hollow minds of fifteen year olds everywhere. My roommate, although not fifteen, is very religious and I find him listening to songs with lyrics about punishing Athiests and loving Jesus.

edit: Maybe it's just that Athiests don't preach their message, or convey it as obviously?

Atheists don't give a gently caress :colbert:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yeah you guys are all being big gay babies :v:

Anyway, anyone heard of Wish for Wings? I haven't listened to them much, but I really like their song Day by Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHXdLwvNN0

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Never heard of them. They aren't all that great sounding. Reminds me of the direction that Bury Your Dead and Throwdown have taken. Since they turned to poo poo that is.

They're nothing super special, just something else to listen to I guess.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

Okay, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I'm not trying to bitch at you or anything, but this fits that comment I made about christian-core. Listen to 2:43 in that link you posted and tell me that's a good transition or even a transition at all. I feel like these guys got together one weekend and said "hey, want to write uninspired Christian hardcore with a breakdown or two?", and the other guys all said "YEAH BRUTAL XXX!!!".

My point is not to rip you apart for liking this band, I hate when people do that. I know people like it and I don't, and that's my business. I just want to know if I'm alone on an island in the middle of a sea, and as the climate change that is Christianlazycore melts the ice caps that are musical variety and originality, causing the water of endless drone to rise; will I still be alone on this island or will more be forced up to the high ground to join me?

Does anyone understand my analogy?

Excuse the following line, my reading comprehension failed me at first.

Holy poo poo I never even noticed they were a Christian band :psyduck: I never really listened to the words. To be honest, I only ever really listen to that song for the breakdown at the end because it has that sweet Law and Order sample ohgod please don't make fun of me :blush:

e: Orrrrr maybe you weren't saying they were Christian, but rather comparing them to the lazy Christiancore... that makes more sense

Looking at the lyrics, there's nothing blatantly Christian about them.

And yeah, the song isn't very technical or anything, and it's uninspired, but I always just kind of thought of it as a kind of fun song, much like Dead Language for a Dying Lady by Vanna.

Anyways, on the topic of what I would hope dudes in this thread would call good music, has The Faceless been discussed recently? I've only ever listened to their Akeldama CD, but it is pretty loving rad. Leica, especially, is amazing.

Oh, and August Burns Red - I've only ever listened to Messengers, and some of the songs on there sound pretty good, but almost every song on the CD sounds exactly the same at parts.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 4, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

They're called Wish for Wings, their myspace is myspace.com/wishforwingsxxx, and they have a song called afterlife. I remember hearing something Christian in their lyrics too, but I'm not about to go and look for it because I think the evidence is almost overwhelming. Once again it's not the fact that they're Christian that makes them bad, it's the fact that they're Christian infused with the same thing as everybody else, making it even more the same as everybody else. Just very uninspired I find. You're right on both accounts: I was saying they're very Christian AND I was comparing them to Christiancore.

Well, I'd say "Wish for Wings" could imply any number of things, many of which aren't really religious at all (maybe wishing for figurative wings to fly away from what they may consider a bad point in their life... probably could have worded that better). I'll agree the myspace "xxx t0t4lly br00tal d00d" is pretty lame. Here's the lyrics to Afterlife:

quote:

Can you feel them, feel the watching from beyond
That eerie feeling deep inside the one you can't explain
Troubled souls ignored like a ship lost at sea
It's like the distance growing deeper between you and me
How do you feel knowing times at its end
Decomposed like the corpse we all turn to be
Can't stop thinking about the times I'm missing
It's an untold tale of this story of betrayal
Time goes by I can watch them die
No one hears you no one sees you can I hear the cry
As time passes by
Sometimes I feel like I've passed on by
Can't stop wandering into the afterlife
Afterlife
I can't stop No
I won't stop No
I've put too much into this

I'd say that it could be argued either way, but leaning towards non-religious. Then we have a song like Death Before Disco:

quote:

Pride you wouldn't know a loving thing about it
Life start living yours and worry about yourself
Before it all passes you by
And you know that it's just too late it's gone it's over
Revenge I seek revenge on you for all that you've put me through
I'm sick of hearing the same loving tune
Been on top for too long I'm at my wits end
I'm damaged goods so stay away far from me
Hatefulness I'll loving snap
So what am i to do with all these chances I've given you
This time I've changed my ways
I'm still loving breathing Generous is all I've ever been to you
Treated fair and open handed you've thrown it all back in my face again

gently caress generally doesn't work it's way into Christian music, at least in my experience. The lyrics just all sound more like generic, whiny emo kid stuff, really. Ignoring the fucks, their attitudes towards religion are still pretty ambiguous.

This is all neither here nor there, though, since they don't have to actually be Christian to achieve the "Christiancore" sound you're talking about, and I totally agree that they have that sound, but I'm pretty anal about these things sometimes :<

Anyways: The Faceless

quote:

And on the topic of The Faceless, I've always really liked them, but only specific songs. I remember a while back I got web demos for Ghost of a Stranger, An Autopsy, and Dig Out Your Scars. While Dig Out Your Scars was obviously a little weak the other two were fantastic. When they came out the with the album however they remixed the songs and changed a few parts around, so it sort of sounds a little off on the album but still good. I just wish they would make up their mind about what kind of music they want to play and not have all the songs on the album sound like different genres. Haven't heard their new stuff though.

I've never even heard of Dig Out Your Scars. Is that an EP song or was it on that Planet Duality or w/e CD? Anyway, An Autopsy and Ghost of a Stranger are both awesome, but did you ever get to listen to Leica? Beats 'em both in my opinion.

And for Sawtooth Grin, I must say I have never even heard of them - any recommendations for a first listen?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

private message posted:

I listen to mostly black metal these days, but goddamn Deadwater Drowning's self-titled is still loving awesome. The breakdowns are still pretty brutal (especially the one at the end of My Fist, Your Face) and Nate's vocals are really good.

drat, picked up their EP and it was brutal as hell. Is that intro Shooga posted anywhere on it? I've only listened through the EP like once and don't recall it being there.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So, a guilty pleasure of mine is browsing the selection of "breakdown vids" on youtube looking for maybe some good songs. If you're familiar with this scene :smug:, I must ask, is it just me, or are all of the new videos complete and utter poo poo? gently caress this thread for making me not be able to enjoy simple breakdowns anymore :suicide:

quote:

Circle of Contempt has their first full length album coming out in like two weeks. If you're into a Born of Osiris type vibe, these guys are sick. Definitely worth checking out for some sweet breakdowns. http://www.myspace.com/circleofcontempt

Holy poo poo, I click play on Color Lines and BOO is the absolute first thing that comes to mind. Seems like a Strain/Emmure situation where you have someone who plays very similarly but still does it well enough to be enjoyable.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 10, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I was talking about After the Burial earlier in the thread, and I mentioned my liking their first CD better than the second, but that changed earlier this week... holy moley I guess I just didn't listen to it enough, but the whole CD is an improvement over the last one. Aspiration, in particular, is an amazing song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8cyGRgyns

Aaaand here's a live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDd3DsBfL8&feature=video_response

You guys weren't kidding when you said they don't put on a good show. They play well live, but the singer is pretty much the only one moving around and poo poo :smith:

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 12, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The music's good, though, right guys? :smith:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Ok, so you guys seem to have a massive hardon for 7a7p (7 angels 7 plagues, I assume). Where do I start with them?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Shiiiiiiiiit, bringing Eternal Lord back in here for some people who may have not heard of them. Set Your Anchor is loving brutal http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569458718147526 But so is pretty much every other song on Blessed Be This Nightmare

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

you son of a piss I thought you were going to say they had a new album :mad:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, they're broken up :(

Another kick rear end track by them - I, The Deceiver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTonQPg3kOs

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Wickacha posted:

I'm listening to the album right now, it's so good! The guitar solo at the end of Nothing Imminent is cool, especially the way the synth comes up behind it.

Psshaw, that solo's got nothing on AtB's solo at the end of Ometh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crzIZyfTOkQ

Starts just after 3:15

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

good choice, I picked that one as my "OFFICIAL CERTIFIED BEST SOLO OF 2008" and have listened to it over 1 billion times!

:monocle:

krustster what makes you such a rad dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

Just missing it at February 2009, the solo at about a minute into the song Wet Warthog by The Heartland (broken up :smith:) is definitely a candidate of 2009's Best Solo award.
http://www.myspace.com/theheartland

BONUS: In their blogs there's a fairly well-recorded live show, with a flawless rendition of the solo and the rest of their songs.

:drat: That solo kicks all kinds of rear end