Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Might be a better fit for the metal thread, but Integrity are streaming their new album and it's pretty solid.
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-integrity-premiere-new-album-suicide-black-snake.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Aren't they basically the archetypal metalcore band. This is dope.
They are but I'm new to NMD and Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying jumped out to me when I made quick glances at this thread, so I was worried it was a bit scenestery. Good to see I was wrong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
gently caress the Facts dropped a new EP last week and it's pretty solid, unsurprisingly. I think it's all in French.
http://fuckthefacts.bandcamp.com/album/amer

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm seven tracks in and I feel like I'm the only who's not digging it all that much. Maybe it's because I never listened to Misery Signals before so I wasn't all that excited going in. It's weird, because it reminds me a lot of Shai Hulud's newest album, which is my second-favorite album of the year right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Also, I didn't see this posted but Trivium is starting to show people some of their new tunes. So far, they kinda suck.

http://www.theprp.com/2013/07/31/news/trivium-offer-free-download-of-new-track-brave-this-storm/

That song is incredibly bad. I really hope this isn't how the rest of the album sounds, because holy poo poo this might be the album where I decide to just ignore anything Trivium puts out afterwards if it does.

I would loving kill for them to put out something that was as good as Shogun again. That album is so loving good.

New Counterparts is...disappointing. It seems like they really haven't done anything in three albums now. It's not a bad, it just sounds exactly like everything else they've done.
You're just now realizing that Trivium suck?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I posted about it in the punk/hardcore thread and...I disagree. I never understood their popularity.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Chariot are breaking up. I'm sure a lot of you will be upset, but frankly I'm happy that they won't be touring with any bands I like any more (besides Birds in Row on their farewell tour). Their performance at BLED Fest a couple of years ago was the embodiment of everything I hate about the hardcore scene. Just douchebags throwing punches everywhere, including at security, and nearly breaking a bunch of stage equipment to the tune of some utterly unremarkable music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Personally I don't know how people above the age of 16 listen to the Acacia Strain in the first place. I think maybe posters are just growing out of the breakdowns all the time phase of their music taste.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There is so much more to metalcore than breakdowns and I've been posting here for months.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked Periphery's debut on first listen and it just got worse and worse every time I heard something from it. The fact that djent has lasted more than five minutes is shocking to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That entire sound instantly turns me away at this point. I can do Meshuggah in small doses. The rest of djent is just irritating to me, especially with that whiny vocalist that Periphery has.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

I ordered myself a copy of Converge's No Heroes that they just re-released on limited vinyl (where are my scene points?) and as usual Deathwish throws in a bunch of stickers/flyers with their orders. Saw a sticker for a band called Cult Leader and was intrigued.

Turns out its members of Gaza minus the alleged rapist singer in a new band with material coming out in April. The one track they have up is loving solid as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZpEccekcE

Yeah I've been psyched for Cult Leader's debut ever since they announced their existence, although I love the vocals in Gaza.

They're keeping the same blunt attitude though. When they made the FB announcement that they were starting it just said "We used to be a band. Now we're a better one."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Elijah are decent but they're really more post-hardcore.

I was about to say you should listen to Devil Sold His Soul but then I realized that DSHS stood for that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

XIII posted:

A lot of people in here seem to dislike ETID, or at least dislike their more recent work, but they're probably as close to a favorite band as I get. The Big Dirty is probably my most listened to album (although I like everything they've done). They're currently writing a new album too!

Uh, Ex Lives and New Junk Aesthetic are both spectacular. "Wanderlust" is probably the best song they ever did. They're kind of a stupid band, but they're really fun and I think Keith Buckley is just a fantastic frontman.

Disclaimer: I've never listened to the Big Dirty, Hot drat! or their debut.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can Ballou do any wrong as a producer?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Animals as Leaders - the JOY of Motion (youtube stream entire album)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH22-xSMERQpG4M9HshhXUJ9OKMNlwU8T

Decent enough so far (I'm on track 9). Tosin is obviously an amazing musician, but AAL just don't strike me the same way that Scale the Summit or Blotted Science do when it comes to wanky instrumental bands that I would have been obsessed with at age 16. Definitely more of a small doses kind of band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sumerian Records is releasing an album consisting entirely of some of their lovely bands covering Florence + the Machine's "Ceremonials" album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Emmure are maybe the worst band of all time but goddamn if Frankie Palmeri calling someone a "diagonal rear end nigga" over Twitter wasn't the funniest thing in the world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

How can you say this in a world where Attila exist?

Because even my breakdown-obsessed best friend that still listens to Emmure while openly admitting that they are terrible hated Attila and I never had to be exposed to them.

I know their vocalist's cousin, though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They might fit better in the punk/hardcore/emo thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't forget that Emmure are from Connecticut too. Frankie Palmeri is a man who thinks saying "nigga" and "u mad bro" are the cutting edge of humor.

On the subject of good bands (maybe that belong in the Punk/Hardcore thread?), the debut EP from Cult Leader is streaming. For the unaware, it's Gaza minus Jon Parkin, with the bass player taking over vocal duties and a new bassist taking his place. It sounds more or less like another Gaza album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Crossposting from the Stoner/Doom/Sludge thread because both openers are more relevant here (although everyone should like Eyehategod anyway).

Eyehategod/Ringworm/Enabler tour:

quote:

5/28/2014 Masquerade - Atlanta, GA

5/29/2014 Drunk Horse - Fayetteville, NC

5/30/2014 Chop Shop - Charlotte NC

5/31/2014 611 - Frederick, MD

6/01/2014 Underground Arts - Philadelphia, PA

6/02/2014 Rex Theater - Pittsburgh, PA

6/03/2014 Strange Matter - Richmond, VA

6/04/2014 American Legion Post 80 - Binghamton, NY

6/05/2014 Brighton Music Hall - Boston, MA

6/06/2014 Even Flow - Long Island, NY

6/07/2014 Europa - Brooklyn, NY

6/08/2014 Basement Transmissions - Erie, PA

6/09/2014 Bug Jar - Rochester, NY

6/10/2014 Loving Touch - Detroit, MI

6/11/2014 Now That’s Class - Cleveland, OH

6/12/2014 Birdy’s - Indianapolis, IN

6/13/2014 Cobra Lounge - Chicago, IL

6/14/2014 Pyramid Scheme - Grand Rapids, MI

6/15/2014 TBA - Appleton, WI

6/16/2014 TBA - TBA

6/17/2014 Diamond Pub - Louisville, KY

6/18/2014 Fubar - St. Louis, MO

6/19/2014 Hi Tone - Memphis, TN

6/20/2014 Southport - New Orleans, LA

6/21/2014 Dollhouse - Savannah, GA

6/22/2014 Orpheum - Tampa, FL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Shocking.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Last night I learned that Ringworm is super intense live and their fans are nuts. I didn't even enter the pit and I'm battered and bruised.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have mixed feelings on the production--Ballou is great, but he kind of made it feel less like ETID and more like every other band he produces--but the songs are really loving good which is what matters. On first listen it's not as good as Ex Lives but slightly better than New Junk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
NJA has my two favorite ETID songs in Wanderlust and Organ Grinder, but Ex Lives just clicks better as a whole for me.

Kurt Ballou has produced a ton of great albums in the past few years but they do all feel sort of the same, and on this one he puts Keith a bit lower in the mix than I'm used to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

Really? I saw them a few weeks ago in Sydney on their Australian tour and it was really, really piss weak. The band was not getting into it at all and looked like they had somewhere better to be. They had some minor technical issues that the opening bands worked through without any issues but it caused them to basically stop for a half minute between every song and gently caress around. So there was no flow to the set, the crowd weren't getting into and to top it off the singer was making cricket chirping noises between sets. The only song people got excited for was Justice.

Guess you got them on an off night, then.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

XIII posted:

I want to like this, I just like their output with Frank Turner so much more that I can't get into it. I loving love their first two releases, but I don't think I've ever finished their third. I'll give the new one a try when it comes out.

I did a double take here and remembered that Frank Turner was in hardcore bands before, but you mean Frank Carter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Full of Hell just announced a collaboration with...Merzbow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the first time I've ever seen positive thoughts on Chimaira.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In general, Swans - To Be Kind.
That fits here, either the new Code Orange if that counts or the new Every Time I Die.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't really care for The Chariot but '68 are really cool. I'm interested to see what that band does because about half of that album is awesome and half is just alright.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Roydrowsy posted:

I'm curious to see what people say on this. I was really, really into this stuff towards the end of high school and into college. I got my hands in the last Refused album and for my roommates and I it was a hardcore extravaganza. there was Norma Jean, Poison the Well, Every Time I Die, The Bled, From Autumn to Ashes and the like. I spent a year at the campus radio station as the "hard rock" music director talking with reps from all these labels and playing this stuff on air in 2004. I starting pulling those albums out again and looking up the bands to find most of the ones I knew have disbanded. I have been scrolling through the thread finding more current stuff to sink my teeth into, but it can be tricky finding a place to start.

I really dig the latest Vanna album. I've been listening to that nonstop this week.

Otherwise the most recent stuff I've heard are Norma Jean's Wrongdoers (which is good but doesn't grab me like oh god the aftermath did) and I found the last bring me the horizon album, which I grabbed knowing nothing about them. It might not be well loved here, but it is really catchy at times, and it's a million times better then that super glam Ronnie radke poo poo that keeps popping up on as suggested viewing on YouTube, or that band with the dude that looks like a goblin but he struts around like people find hi attractive, and people keep inviting him to be in their videos for some reason.

As someone who has been "away" for ten years, what are the big ones I've missed out on? Or, what would your essential "mixtape" consist of?

I don't like the majority of stuff that gets brought up frequently in this topic (e.g. The Acacia Strain and their ilk; the melodeathy bands referred to in the post above), but since you like Refused and Every Time I Die we probably have some common ground in taste. These are some of my favorite metalcore/metallic hardcore/whatever albums of the past decade:

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
Glass Casket - We Are Gathered Here Today...
Shai Hulud - Reach Beyond the Sun
Code Orange Kids - Love is Love // Return to Dust
Full of Hell - Rudiments of Mutilation
Oathbreaker Eros|Anteros
Palm Reader - Bad Weather

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Uh, are you talking to me or the guy who asked for recommendations?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If anyone was wondering what Killwhitneydead would sound like if they used exclusively Spongebob samples, here's an EP for you: https://xspongexcorex.bandcamp.com/album/how-tough-are-yah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought it was worth six minutes of my time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
More xSPONGExCOREx: https://xspongexcorex.bandcamp.com/album/dont-mess-with-texxxas

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

crondaily posted:

Their lead singer may be the worst human being on the planet.

I am friends with his cousin and she won't disagree.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

XIII posted:

Don't worry, you weren't wrong. I've mentioned Shikari in here before and was told I was wrong for liking them. gently caress the haters. Shikari are, in total seriousness, in my top five bands and I'm excited (and scared) about their upcoming album.

Regulars in this thread unironically enjoy Emmure and Waking the Cadaver. It has to be the least elitist thread on NMD, or at least it should be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Emmure are so bad they're good. They helped popularize nü-metal-core and have pumped out almost an album a year for the past 7 years and are still headlining tours and selling lots of albums and haven't really distracted from their sound much at all. That's staying power which I respect even if their music and persona are questionable in nature. I'm going to have fun seeing them play with TAS next month.

Waking the Cadaver are another bad/good band. The whole "wigger slam" genre is kind of an awesome parody of itself I feel. It serves a purpose and delivers on it.

Enter Shikari and all of this dubstep-core poo poo is marketed towards women and skinnybois. My favorite reference point is the Abandon All Ships video where they're walking around all hard but they're wearing XS leather jackets with the hood stitched in. Nobody believes you're tough, you guys.
lmao

brb gotta hit the weight room so I can put maximum force to my spinkicks during Soundwave Superior. Get the gently caress out of my way Enter Shikari queermos!

Like, you can enjoy a band like Emmure if you want to, but you can't simultaneously justify your taste by proclaiming them "so bad it's good" and pretending they're intentionally self-parodying (which they aren't) while slamming others for their taste. Appealing to manchildren isn't a step up from appealing to women.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Parkway Drive is a road that leads straight to boredommmmm

If it even makes a difference for me to defend my less-than-perfect taste in breakdown chugga chug music just know that I don't actively jam Emmure on a regular basis. I can get down to it on occasion but I know full well what I'm listening to is lame. Like you can make fun of me for "liking" Emmure and call me lame and I'll be like yeah man I know. But if I make fun of you for liking Enter Shikari and call you lame you get all butthurt. There's a huge difference.lame.
Maybe you're addressing the hypothetical Emmure hater, but I don't like Enter Shikari either (I certainly prefer them to Emmure, but I prefer just about everything to Emmure). I just think it's silly to be like "My music is horrible but I'm self-aware so it's fine but YOU think your music is genuinely good so you have bad taste" or to point out image and marketing as a reason why a band might be bad.

And I really don't see how Attila are somehow more embarrassing than Emmure. They're both trying extremely hard to be edgy and have no actual musical value. One of my best friends (who I should probably throw a bone by posting his band in here) has pretty much your exact taste in -core and uses the same justifications ("Emmure are objectively bad, but I love breakdowns") for it while being occasionally dickish about bands that I feel belong in the same category of poo poo, and I just can't wrap my mind around it.