Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13475

Animosity broke up :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I don't know who you guys are trying to fool with this talk of a "new BTBAM cd"

Everyone knows they stopped making music after The Silent Circus.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mammal Sauce posted:

Every one of their previous albums actually took effort to fully enjoy

Did you ever even listen to their self-titled.. like when it was actually released? That's when BTBAM was actually playing experimental metalcore that sounded good. Now they just jerk their instruments off for 20 minute long songs and I fall the gently caress asleep when I saw them at the Saints and Sinners tour. I fell ASLEEP!

Just listened to this Swim to the Moon song, mother fucker, another 20 minute song that goes nowhere the entire loving time. Why do they bother trying to be a "hardcore" band anymore with the vocals. First of all the singer (Tommy Rogers, right?) has gotten so bland with his vocals it's embarrassing to think he used to actually show a little diversity in his singing. I'll admit the last time I saw them I thought he had an awesome projection, but he uses the same range throughout the entire song and all the songs I've heard off the new albums. The music may have gotten all kinds of complicated and diverse, but his singing has really poo poo itself. And he's not a good actual singer. I think that if you like the newer stuff it's impossible for you to like the style they had when they first came out, and if you didn't like their first albums then you might want to give this new-age hippy progressive poo poo a shot because maybe you'll dig it.

That said, I know what I'm going to put on in case I have trouble falling asleep at night. Bands like Daughters make a more interesting listen out of an entire CD that's shorter than just one BTBAM song. gently caress.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 22, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

JAF07 posted:

BTBAM is quickly turning into the wank band for all the skinny jean-wearing hipsters because they're too embarrassed to admit to liking Dream Theater.

Thank you.

quote:

I really want to like this band, I just can't.

Easy solution, only listen to their debut full length. Music was much more consistent and still experimental and the vocals showed a lot more range and still fit the music very well. Rogers used a lot more variation in his vocal ability and now all he does is sing like a monk or use a really unpleasant mid range scream/growl that gets boring very fast.

Now Red Chord, that I can get into. One of my favorite bands, and even though Prey For Eyes didn't really do anything for me musically, they're still an excellent band to see live.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New Red Chord is easily a better album just from one listen.

To add to my BTBAM hate, on their myspace page there is a giant photo of just their instruments in a studio where the camera is going right and left. It's just like "HEY LOOK AT OUR ELITE poo poo!" and there's also a box of Silk soy milk on the floor, get the gently caress over yourselves.

Also their merch is boring as poo poo, just like their music.

Alternatively, check this awe-inspiring shirt by The Red Chord and tell me it doesn't make you want to listen to them even if you've never heard of them: Rainbow Grinder

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nice avatar, I saw Acacia this past Sunday in NYC. They've become my favorite still-together band. Live show is always amazingly heavy, delightfully negative, and hilarious all at the same time. The singer told me they were going to start writing in December so I'm hoping for a new CD sometime in the middle of next year. Hopefully before next summer.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm pretty sure Guy and Mike (Gunface) are the only remaining original members of The Red Chord and their style is still pretty reminiscent of what it has always been.

I have a kind of mixed view on BTBAM, in one case I think it's awesome that this once ambitious metalcore innovative band has grown into something almost otherworldy when it comes to the complexity of their songwriting. Whenever you hear someone talk about BTBAM who is a big fan of their new stuff, you imagine music that was written by some kind of spiritual metal beings or something. And for them to have gained that reputation is pretty remarkable. But in all actuality when I listen to it and really TRY to hear something that amazes me, I just hear overly complex music that sounds like the musicians are trying too hard to be complex and creative, and it's really REALLY boring.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

-Atom- posted:

I respect your opinions but I don't understand them in the slightest.

In a nutshell: BTBAM has obtained a sort of majestic status for playing amazing music, and I respect that. But I can't identify with the praise because the style of music they play now bores me to tears. AND I really just wish they would play music like on the self titled which was awesome. I'm a sucker for music with "parts" that while the whole song can be good, there are parts that you just anticipate, most of the time they're OMGBREAKDOWNZ but in the case of BTBAM it would be the 80's metal wail on Aspirations, etc.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

This is the guy I was referring to:

Though I do agree that Tommy doesn't change up his vocals as much as he can, anymore. What's up with that?

If you can praise them for being sweet-hearts then I can diss them for having crappy merch and showing pictures of instruments and soy milk on their myspace. I've talked with Tommy Rogers in Massachusetts before during a fest at a Subway down the block. He was nice to me and I didn't get the impression he was a dickhead. Doesn't change the fact that (as you agreed) he's become a totally boring vocalist to listen to when I am sure he can still sing with better range if he tried/wanted to. And also that their music is something completely different from when they started out, which I prefer immensely over this stuff. I almost feel like I can't even say "I like BTBAM" anymore. I can only say "I like their self titled" because that's not even them anymore.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

Fair enough. You don't like Silent Circus either?

I do. To a lesser extent than the self titled but its still a good album. It's kind of funny because at the time btbam had been touring with Red Chord and it was widely speculated that the more grind influenced Silent Circus was also influenced by Red Chord. Thinking back about that is kind of funny now seeing as btbam have evolved so much, even if for the worse in my opinion.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah the drummer on that cd was Will Goodyear. He relased an album of his own work that was really good, even though its all really soft material. I know he did the clean vocals on s/t but even Rogers' screams were ranging from lows to highs. Now its just mids.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Atreyu... Every Time I Die... BTBAM??

This is the "Whatever-core" thread, right? Not the "we used to be hard/metal-core and now we sound like poo poo" thread... or am I missing something.

Every Time I Die should be thrown in jail for abandoning their Last Night in Town sound. That album is loving epic and now they sound like idiots. Atreyu.. please, I won't even loving go there. And I've already expressed my opinion on BTBAM enough.

:psyduck:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

There's just something to be said about listening to a band from their beginning and watching them slowly fade into something completely unrecognizable and NEVER playing anything you like from their early albums. It's really depressing and feels like an insult to early fans who want to hear old songs when you go see a band live.

Their new stuff might be good for whatever sound they're looking to achieve now, but I wouldn't know because it's not the same band that I know from the past. It's something new and it tries to reach an entirely different audience. I'm sure they hope original fans will evolve with them to like the new stuff as well. But I'm sure most of these bands realize how the "scene" works and that most kids reject you once you get big. Not for the fact that a band has gotten big but 99% of the time because it meas the music has turned to garbage in the process.

I failed to realize that the majority of the people that post in this thread are probably a huge wave of people that started getting into -core music very recently and the kind of people I see at shows and hate for "ruining" my scene.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

d0grent, the feeling doesn't bother me one bit. I've been listening to this kind of music for years and recently most of it has gone to complete poo poo. For there to be a singe thread on these forums dedicated to "hardcore" music and have to see people talking about Atreyu is absolutely pathetic. They were once an enjoyable band, but honestly they've gone to poo poo. Same as ETID and BTBAM. Although you can at least argue that BTBAM are still good at using their instruments and are popular because they show that talent, even if the music bares only a slight resemblance to what they made their foundation on. Bands who play shows to kids with side swept bangs and eyeliner have zero credibility to me and I would imagine any other self respecting hardcore fan.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Dirtyness posted:

Serious question: Do you even enjoy music?

Truly, there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy and only a few bands I really respect out there for making consistently good music. I understand BTBAM's progression, but I dislike the shape that their music has taken recently.

As for there being a "real" hardcore thread. I understand the distinction between real hardcore and what is mostly considered metalcore. The most old school band I listen to is All Out War and even they are a metal hardcore fusion band. I like bands like Converge and Trap Them, but TT apparently consider themselves "death punk" or whatever. I admit I don't even really like "real hardcore" that consists of bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, etc. To me that stuff is more punk with angrier vocals than anything else.

I can imagine most people in this thread have no idea what bands I just namedropped

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I know I'm coming off like a dick, but I had to express my distress with the current state of this genre of music. There were two other posts previously asking to check out one band on MySpace and the other posting I think a YouTube video and comparing it to the new BTBAM album. I did enjoy what I heard there and I'm not always a cranky rear end in a top hat. I guess there's just no one posting here who can identify with what I've experienced over the years of going to shows and hey its all good but I still find it kind of pathetic to be discussing Atreyu in a -core thread when they don't even fall under the category at all anymore. In fact I don't know what you might classify them as besides "suck".

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I don't think its that a band can't progress their sound, I think its just bad when a band decides to recreate themselves and wind up becoming something completely different where it turns into a slap in the face to any fans that have respect and passion for their "old" sound. Most bands that do this wind up getting a much larger audience as a result and it really makes you wonder what their real agenda was to change their style. Bands like Unearth, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, etc. They all changed their sound, now have a much larger audience selling out big venues and they all sound drastically different from the style they broke out with. Bands like Red Chord have been around a long time and they stille end sets with Dreaming in Dog Years and they still release quality material and have awesome as poo poo live shows. My favorite band, Acacia Strain, has only gotten better with each album.

The state of this scene sadly is now in the hands of lovely bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Devil Wears Prada, where there are more girls at shows trying to grab the singer's dick than actually appreciating the music and not just seeing it as the new nu-metal to rebel against preppy high schoolers with.

Honestly I listen to mostly bands that have already broken up because a lot of the current stuff is just really unbearable.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

A5H posted:

No it's not, that's only some gay offshoot scene that noone takes seriously.
Honestly, just cause this thread features a lot of crappy crap, doesn't mean anything.
Just ignore it and post about stuff you like, like I do.

That gay offshoot scene affects me when I go to a show expecting to see Misery Sinals but they had to drop off and I stuck around since I paid for a ticket and I get to see the lovely headlining band (Bring Me the Horizon) who are terrible beyond belief.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

With a website that you need to pay to access "exclusive content" and songs like Still Fly with the dumbest joke lyrics ever, I don't give a poo poo if DWP display amazing instrumentation, they still represent the "I want my dick sucked, let's start a metalcore band" side of this scene.

Also, they're signed to Ferret records. Send an e-mail to the guy from Nora and ask if he signed them because of their amazing musicianship or because he knew they were a marketable band to the teeny bopper-core kids.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 28, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

429cj posted:

I mean come on....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJg89RLJUzs

Listen to 1:22 and tell me they "just happen" to appeal to a large crowd.

Do you think they wrote that part and when they played it live they were looking at each other like what the hell are the people in the crowd doing?!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You don't just "happen to" appeal to a large number of people when you write blatant breakdowns like the one I describe. You are "trying to" appeal to a large number of people. Especially when your breakdowns are as pathetically lazy as the one I described.

I was only arguing that point the other guy was trying to make. I obviously don't listen to poo poo I don't like. I've already expressed the small amount of music I actually do listen to and enjoy in this thread.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Um, maybe you're supposed to write music how you want it to sound, maybe I'm just crazy.

There's a difference between music I don't enjoy like BTBAM who seem to clearly write music that they want to write, and The Devil Wears Prada, who clearly write music that will score them points on the big breakdown scale and get them signed to big name labels.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I agree with you as well that there are more than likely a bunch of people out there who like the disco-core style of new wave poo poo that is out right now, and writes music in that style because they enjoy it and much to their benefit a whole generation of kids these days eats it up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah Acacia Strain have written some lazy breakdowns in their history. But at least their style makes it so that you come to expect it when it comes. DWP just pulls that poo poo out of left field.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

Anyone like Rolo Tomassi? Their album Hysterics is one of my favorite albums ever. Also, I dunno what you'd really call the type of music and a lot of you guys probably won't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yUCOelxS8

to me it's like horse, IWABO and melt banana had a baby

Not bad. I love Daughters but I hate IWABO. I didn't like all the beep-bop-boop riffs when they were trying to be out of rhythm but it just sounded like punching guitars. But the beginning with the screaming was pretty decent.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

This Robinson band is pretty decent. Totally not better than Daughters at all, though. Tower of Rome is good poo poo, as is Ed Gein.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

My band had our first show on Halloween and we have 2 songs that were recorded that night up on myspace. Kinda sloppy, but it was our first show. If you like disembodied, blood has been shed, martyr ad, or sepultura check it out.

http://www.myspace.com/tacomaoblivion

Not bad, not all that good either. If I was at a show where you guys were opening I probably wouldn't pay too much attention except for during breakdowns. You sound pretty sloppy but you said it was your first show. Work on getting more tight and tell your singer to stop being E/N in the mic and just sing.

e: I see you have I Declare War on your top friends. Those guys are pretty good for some silly brutal heavy sloppy breakdown music every once in a while. But in their Influences section on their Myspace page they list all very current bands. Kind of makes me feel like they never listened to anything before getting introduced to metalcore music.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I don't expect a band's Influences section to be taken super seriously. But I think if you take your music seriously whatsoever you should at least take 3 seconds to put down some bands that actually influence your passion for music and not who you think kids will read and say "hey I like those bands too, sweet!"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

Trust me I was wishing they didn't put the tracks up, but whatever we're only going to get better. You might like my other band more http://www.myspace.com/openfirewa

Wow, 10 seconds into this song and I'm digging it a loving LOT. It has some nice melodic riffs going on with a perfectly balanced amount of brutality. I love that 7A7P, Mis Sig mix of light airy sounding stuff mixed with the tough guy hardcore stuff. Reminds me of a band from FL that unfortunately broke up last year called I Am Divide. http://www.myspace.com/iamdivideisstillalive

And the first song that pops up is anti-religion. I'm in love.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

As Hope Dies is a pretty sweet atheist metalcore band from a few years back that broke up.

A band with friends of mine who are not really active right now but sound similar to Open Fire are Royalty In Exile https://www.myspace.com/royaltyinexilenyc they actually had the guitarist from 7a7p in their band but never found a bassist.

Another band who I'm friends with that some of BTBAM fans might like are We Are The Romans https://www.myspace.com/wearetheromans their recording isn't super tight but those guy really strive to play heavy music in a progressive and unique way. They bust their asses and even though the recording doesn't do him justice, the singer is a loving beast.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I actually used to sing for this band a long time ago. Most of them are good friends. I'm glad to hear you really like them. If you have a myspace account, leave them a comment and let them know. Here's their facebook http://www.facebook.com/wearetheromans#/pages/We-Are-The-Romans/25225785785

And you can listen to their entire cd streaming at http://wearetheromans.bandcamp.com/

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I hate the Beatles.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Pantalones! posted:

But yes, someone who is honest about their beatles influence and serious about making music he loves will probably make better music than the guy whose main influence is mychildren mybride and who's only making music so that people will say DUDE THAT WAS A SICK BREAKDOWN.

I agree with you, with emphasis on the probably. I will at least take a band a little bit more seriously if they are honest about their real influences. I tend to have a distaste for bands who are in just for the breakdowns and not for the real passion of music and the scene.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Never heard of them. They aren't all that great sounding. Reminds me of the direction that Bury Your Dead and Throwdown have taken. Since they turned to poo poo that is.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I think it's a bit of a reaching analogy but I understand what you're getting at. Impending Doom is a good example of lazy christian hardcore. Anah Aevia was an old band that was christian but they were awesome. poo poo like Sleeping Giant just sucks whether it's christian or not, but more so because it is :smug:

e: I've been trying to think of other atheist bands and unfortunately I only have one who also broke up, but they're amazin. If Hope Dies

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 4, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

But they suck live. I saw them with Acacia Strain the other weekend. How did they come out of nowhere and start headlining shows?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah I really liked The Faceless' first album a lot, but then I heard Planetary Duality and they just became more complicated than I cared for. Also, when I saw them live with Suicide Silence, they had a different singer than from the album and he loving blew so god drat bad it was embarrassing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DL apparently got his girl knocked up which is why he wasn't on the tour. I thought Acacia was great as always. Nothing particularly better about this tour than others, but not any worse.

I might have just been too exhausted for ABR when they came on, but they lack that punch they have on the albums. Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Why the gently caress do bands feel the need to have a "Bio" that is unique and makes it seem as if they're different than any other band out there?

quote:

There are a galaxy’s worth of metal bands active today. But stare at all of those stars long enough and some lines start to form; everything starts to take shape. The Constellations begin to bloom.

Oh I get it, they tied in the name of their new album to the description of their band, how clever! :hurr:

e: Oh and hey look, they use little iMacs and MacBooks to show off thumbnails of their desktop wallpapers available for download. They must be so with it! :rolleyes:
posting from a MacBook

All that complaining aside, this new album does sound more mature and together than their last one. I don't really like the vocalists style, though. Sounds a little too much like a cross between the guy from Unearth and All That Remains.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I didn't say they wrote their own stuff, just that they felt the need to have those bios. They had to pay someone to write it for them didn't they? Or perhaps the label chooses. Still, it's dumb and most of the time I read the descriptions I just laugh at how dumb it sounds.