Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Who could they be possibly writing them for then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

eminkey2003 posted:

Anybody here like Tower of Rome? I'm thinking of buying "All is Lost..."

Great album.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I've never felt like anything was missing from Acacia's set live as opposed to their albums. I guess I just don't have the ear to notice the differences/absences but it never took away from my experience. I agree that DL is a big part of thelive performance as well, the stage seemed kind of empty without him up there. And I'm pretty sure there was only one guitarist up there to replace him. Can't be totally sure though.

when Whitechapel first debuted some rough demo material on MySpace years ago, I had friends who were into them and I thought they sounded like poo poo. Then they got signed and their first full length was actually pretty good. I dug the heaviness and song structures for the most part. Then I wound up at Saints n Sinners in NJ and when they came on I was completely bored to tears enough that I walked away and watched The Number 12 on the main stage for a while. Who by the way used to be pretty awesome but have also declined in quality recently. To me Whitechapel and Emmure have the same kind of twangy drop tuned guitar sounds going, only WC are going for the deathcore thing and Emmure is trying to revive nu-metal.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

private message posted:

I listen to mostly black metal these days, but goddamn Deadwater Drowning's self-titled is still loving awesome. The breakdowns are still pretty brutal (especially the one at the end of My Fist, Your Face) and Nate's vocals are really good.

Agreed. Nate Johnson has sick vocals and I've followed him bouncing around bands from DWD to Premonitions of War to TTOTD, etc. Luckily I was able to see DWD after they broke up when they did a reunion show in Binghamton, NY a few years back. It was an amazing experience. 7A7P headlined and I seriously cried at the end of their set I was so uplifted. It was like sealing the deal on an era of music that I always admired but never got to experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHI4K7uoDdI

There's the first song by DWD at that show. At 2:13 you can see me jumping on stage for the mic. I was the first one up and I still feel proud of that even if it's a little amateurish but I'm a fanboy, I don't care :colbert: And at 4:50 Nate hands me the mic to sing the end. :hellyeah:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

private message: I've actually been really pleasantly surprised with everything MS has been putting out. I think they've gotten better and better with each release. It's still nowhere near the level of excellence and majesty that was 7a7p but I still like it. You may have missed it but I posted in this thread that a band a few of my friends were in had the 7a7p guitarist as well. Don't know how they loving managed that but they wound up disbanding due to not being able to find a bassist. loving sucks. http://www.myspace.com/royaltyinexilenyc

I also recognize that black dude, I forgot his name but I see him all over the place.

Traitorous Leopard: That intro is indeed awesome but they don't have it down on recording at all. There is another song they had recorded after the EP called Slap Her rear end and Ride the Wave In. It's pretty awesome and it sucks they never recorded anything more.

e: I'm also violently in love with Mazel Tov's band Open Fire! You guys need to play NYC

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My dude, you've never heard of 7A7P? You poor soul. My all-time favorite band is from the same era of music. endthisday It's not their official myspace but it has their songs. It's very melodic metalcore and doesn't really have many traditional breakdowns but I loving love it. They also broke up in 02, around the same time as 7A7P.

Another band with similar style, also broken up: I Am Divide

A lot of the members of 7A7P formed Misery Signals, you might like them.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 10, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I would be so pissed at a show like that. People bouncing up and down and sort of half-flailing trying to actually dance. And when I step in and show them the business they get all pissed off like "yo bro you just hit my girlfriend WTF?!"

Go back home, little kid.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Faux Shoah posted:

It begins and ends with Jhazmyne's Lullaby.

The last song is so amazing. It almost makes it appropriate that they broke up after having that be the last thing they recorded. From start to finish, a real absolute masterpiece.

Traitorous, get the cd anyway you can, and also read the lyrics. Old fashioned, awesome, heartfelt metalcore through and through. I'm gonna listen right now.

e: you can also check out Until the Day Breathes and the Shadows Flee, which is the first album, but most of the songs were re-done (better) on Jhazmyne's Lullaby with a better singer. It would make for an interesting listen to see how they've progressed musically from one album to another.

I wish I still had a VCR because I have the tape called Hugs and Chugs which was a recording of a live show with endthisday and 7A7P back in Milwaukee in like 2001 or so. Quality is pretty poo poo but it was the only way I ever got to see etd "live". If they did a reunion anywhere in the world, I'd be there.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 13, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Spiral posted:

Didn't they already do this like 4 years ago?

You're talking about 7A7P? I already explained in this thread earlier that I did go to that. I'm talking about endthisday.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Just went to a local show tonight and out of nowhere this band Those Who Lie Beneath came on and blew me away. They were really loving good. Check them on MySpace.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I was at the show for a friend's band and was just looking around at merch. I saw this awesome shirt from them with a zombie pope with an upside-down cross staff and skulls with 666 on the foreheads which looked so awesome. Not even for the symbolism but the artwork was great. I was convinced I'd buy the shirt but wanted to make sure the band didn't suck so I waited for them to go on. I came back inside in the middle of their first song and was struck right away with how great they sounded.

Link to the shirt here

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

This Circle of Contempt band is playing NYC December 5th. Just might have to check them out. Playing with Winds of Plague, pretty generic Deathcore band with the hot-chick-as-keyboardist thing which is dumb and cliche but I enjoy them.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I admitted that they're cliche. And I agree that they can be seen as what's "wrong" with metalcore, but I can't help being into them. Whatever bro's, back up off me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah it's just fun and somewhat goofy hype music. I don't listen to it for the musical complexity or anything. I've heard they suck live though. I want to check them out just once though at least.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I used to love Norma Jean before they came out with anything after Kiss the Martyr. I went ape poo poo during them at Hellfest in NJ a few years back. Ah well..

As for WOP vs. Emmure, I'm pretty sure the dude from WOP will win. I remember seeing Emmure for the first time years back in a shithole, now they're fairly large and I'm really proud of their progress. A lot of my friends are close with the guys in that band, and even though their music is pretty bad, it's fun to see a semi-local act make it big time.

P.S. Horse the Band sucks.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

No one who likes Horse the Band can get on my poo poo for liking WOP.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

We all listen to arguably poo poo music. Maybe I'm being too pushy in this thread, but if you ever have a real conversation with any group of people who listen to this genre I'm absolutely certain you'll get a bunch "that band sucks lol" comments made.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

at least Horse is lovely in a creative way. WOP is lovely in a generic way.

I will definitely give you that, haha.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The music at the beginning had me bouncing in my seat due to its heavy groove feeling. But the singer does come off as really dry and uninspired from what I've heard so far. Kind of brings down the intensity of the music.

e: Actually, the beginning of the first track before the vocals kicked in was the only part I could actually get into. The rest of all the songs are just too slow-paced for me. Keep making music with Open Fire!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 6, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

We start tracking our next full length soon ;)

Good, when you playing NYC?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mazel: I'll keep an eye open. I'd check it out anyway.

TheQat: The singer of DEP is loving jacked. Too bad I don't really enjoy anything from them since Calculating Infinity.

There's an interview with Keith from Every Time I Die over at Lambgoat: http://lambgoat.com/features/interviews/every_time_i_die3.aspx

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Yesssssss. For some reason it took me months to find this thread and apparently I like "metalcore" even though I don't know what the gently caress it is. A quick wikipedia search shows me names such as Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, All that Remains, Killswitch, ect. So I'm in the right place before I say something stupid right?

I guess you're in the right place even though all the bands you mention suck balls.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

At least Winds of Plague has hints of METAL and hardCORE.

Bullet for my Valentine and Atreyu are more similar to Nickelback and Creed than any metal or hardcore bands. All That Remains is ok and Killswitch used to be awesome but have really gone downhill.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Was someone seriously plugging Alesana earlier? Lol.

Here is a local band that has changed forms many times in the past years, I think they are pretty moshtastic:

http://www.myspace.com/noremorsetx

Listening to bands like this just puts a dumb grin on my face because you know it's meant to just dance really obnoxiously to. Sound a little like very early Bury Your Dead when they were actually decent.

The previously mentioned Dillinger preview was way too short to tell if the entire song was going to be good or not. I lost all faith in that band after Miss Machine was mostly a disappointment.
edit: Although this "Good Neighbor" song that someone posted a video of actually sounds very decent throughout. I'm becoming a little more optimistic. I guess I pretty much just want them to re-write Calculating Infinity and then I'll be happy.

And I've never listened to that band Molotov Solution before but in a way I guess I have, and they're already called White Chapel. Yawn.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 25, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

Lol, molotov was doin this years before them :) regardless they're better anyways

Unfortunately White Chapel is bigger and that's who people, like me, who've never heard them before will compare them to. When your sound gets copied and commercialized, you either have to start doing it MUCH better, or just change it up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

krustster posted:

Yeah of course, when another band comes out with a sound similar to yours, it's your responsibility to change. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was their responsibility to change(period). I said you should change it up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Can I holla about how bad and gimmicky they are?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

God drat it. Before I even got a chance to listen to the music of We Butter the Bread with Butter, I immediately want to not like them based off of their image posted on their MySpace page of the two of them holding Wii controllers wearing their hair with side-swept bangs like douchebags.

And then I actually got a chance to listen to the music and realized that my initial hate is justified. This is not music.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Fuklaw posted:

the latter and band names more than three words long

Unless you're asking for a specific reason how could you possibly limit your choices of experiencing music to what the name of the band is?

I admit that bands like "We Butter the Bread with Butter" and "I Wrestled a Bear Once" are retarded names for bands that actually suck. But I get a lot of poo poo in this thread for liking a band with a name that's only three words and isn't completely retarded sounding (Winds of Plague).

Right off the top of my head, Between the Buried and Me has a long name and they don't suck. Every Time I Die also. (even though both of these bands are far worse sounding currently than their first efforts)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

hint: it's not the name of the band that everyone is making fun of

hint: I loving know that, douche.

I was merely saying that just because a band name is three words or less and doesn't sound completely retarded (Winds of Plague is generic and uninspired, yeah, but it isn't loving stupid beyond belief like We Butter the Bread With Butter) doesn't mean they're going to be any better sounding.

I was referring to the fact that people in this thread dislike WOP regardless of how long or dumb their band name is. So it shouldn't even be a factor in choosing whether to give a band a listen or not.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Cock Soup posted:

The Partisan Turbine, anything by them

Whoa... who are you and how do you know about them?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It's just pretty funny because I know those guys fairly closely and didn't think anyone knew who the hell they were. The fact that people DO know is awesome, but I never expected it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I have no idea what their new singer, Omar sounds like over their original singer, Matt. But their music is pretty groovy and heavy.

The bassist plays guitar in a band called Revenance who are also seriously heavy and awesome. Traitorous Leopard, you should check them out. http://www.myspace.com/revenance

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flare posted:

I guess they closed the Live Show sub-forum. Anyway posting this here.

Last night was the second time I had seen Between the Buried and Me play live while headlining. Both times I've seen them they have had fantastic openers and overall great bang for the buck show. Last time I saw them Behold... the Arctopus was opening and this time it was Scale the Summit, Cynic, and Devin Townsend Project.

That all being said, BTBAM has the worst loving fans in all of existence. No other show that I've seen live has had so many people booing the openers and trying to heckle them. (Not even local bands, not that its in any way better or OK to do it but I've come to expect it when local talent is playing.) gently caress you and gently caress off.

This is hardcore (well, BTBAM used to be hardcore.. anyway). Suck it up, Nancy.

It makes me feel so :smug: that people are just seeing them for the first time so recently when I remember when they first formed the band together rocking out to demos.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

The worst part was the windmills, spinkicks etc. for all the opening bands. I feel like that poo poo is heckling in dance form, personally, but I don't know what it's intended to be.

How else do you dance at hardcore shows :confused:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1221654357032700278&ei=F85sS8SSEo-EqQKq0tnBBg&q=hardcore+dancing

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

eh. It WAS a modern day BTBAM show. I wasn't expecting literally every single opening band except one to be horrifically generic breakdown showcases I guess.

First you say that you felt the dancing for the opening bands was heckling, but then you admit they were all generic breakdown bands that attract this kind of dancing. Get your story straight, son.

edit: Speaking of generic breakdown bands, I've been listening to Chelsea Grin a lot lately. They're painfully cliche but they're heavy and it's been helping me get out of a funk I've been in. Just makes me want to go to a show and ruin everyone's day.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Not that I give a poo poo about credibility, but I saw Chelsea Grin headline a local show over Those Who Lie Beneath. Never heard either of them before. TWLB really impressed me, CG made me :rolleyes: but jamming out to them is fun.

And if not "dance" what word would you use?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

If anyone remembers I posted a link to my friends in We Are The Romans' myspace page for you all to check out, they're part of a contest to win some cool poo poo if you just go to this page and vote for them. No sign-up or registration needed. Figured I could help them out and spread the word.

For anyone who doesn't remember, here is a link to their entire album

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

baahahahaha, no but I wish it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

7 Angels 7 Plagues is pretty much the most perfect band ever. Just reiterating that fact.