Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There's a new ETID coming?! Oh I am so glad I saw this thread. I loving love ETID, The Big Dirty is one of my favorite albums (as is Hot drat! Gutter Phenomenon and Last Night In town are good too)

Also, I just got around to listening to the new It Dies Today, Lividity. I REALLY like it. I loved the gently caress out of The Caitiff choir in 04, and then got into their 3-track demo (lost during a harddrive malfunction, FML) and their 6-track EP (purchased original at a show). Sirens was god awful. Lividity has a ton of heavy riffing and vocals and reminds me a lot of The Caitiff Choir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

-Atom- posted:

I've only listened to Lividity once, and it was difficult to get through. I was incredibly excited when they did a teaser for Thank You for Drinking but after one spin of the album I was left wondering why nothing resonated with me. Although the skit at the end of the last track was good and I still listen to it about once a week.

I absolutely stand by that Forever Scorned (not the re-issue) is an incredible piece of work. The Caitiff Choir was also great, but I still kind of liked a little of Sirens. I'll need to listen to the new album again I think.

Forever Scored (the original; the re-issue is horrible in every single fashion) is amazing and I love it. The Caitiff Choir is my favorite IDT material (again, the original, not the re-issue). I liked two or three songs from Sirens but as a whole, it was really pussy stuff for IDT.

Lividity is, to me, a lot more like The Caitiff Choir. I do miss Nick, though. His vocals poo poo all over this new guy's. I can only imagine Lividity recorded with Nick.

"This Ghost", "Thank You For Drinking", "Miss October", and whatever track 6 is are my favorites as of now. Awesome gym album, I'll be lifting to it again tonight.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am going to see Killswitch Engage with All That Remains and Unearth on Saturday at Jones Beach for $15. It's like MA exploded all over Wantagh NY and I get to partake in the awesomeness. I am psyched.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was supposed to go to this, but cant get off of work in time :(

then it's probably unfortunate that you're coming down with a stomach infection right now RIGHT :) seriously you should try to go, seeing KSE without some godawful band like Disturbed or Underoath is p. hard to do nowadays

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

As Blood Runs Black are insane, and it sounds like I need to check out Here Comes The Kraken.

And I've only heard a few songs but I thought The Devil Wears Prada was p. lovely

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My avatar should give a clear understanding of my stance on Emmure. I'll just say that when I last spoke to Vincent after a show, he just nodded and smiled when I mentioned Skynet being about Emmure.

And anyone who can listen to "A Ticket for The Paralyzer" and not identify it as a lovely attempt at re-creating "Carbomb" is loving high.

gently caress I hate Emmure. Nowadays they're like Limp Bizkit covering The Acacia Strain... Frank's red Yankees cap can't be far from coming.

edit: I should mention that I always laugh when I think about the first night I saw The Acacia Strain. It was in fall of 04 right after 3750 dropped, in a tiny dive pool hall in Orange, CT. They were supporting All That Remains. But who went on before The Acacia Strain? A bunch of 14 year old kids called "Emmure"...

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 30, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

BMTH... is that Bring Me The Horizon? gently caress

I love ETID and will see them no matter what but... gently caress

I can't wait for ETID's new record

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Fair enough. Seems silly that's all. I suppose drawing an arbitrary line and saying everything on one side is X type of metal and over there is Y metal is pretty silly really anyway. I wonder if other genres have this problem? Does deep house hate minimal house?

Looking for some recommendations anyway. Is there anything else like Every Time I Die around? Big Dirty was awesome. I guess that sort of southern flavour with some good riffs and melodic bits.

Also, in terms of post-rock/post-metal and metalcore crossovers - is there anything? Any bands known for metalcore songs with slow, brooding bits a la Isis and Cult of Luna?

If like like ETID, check out Maylene And The Sons of Disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maylene_and_the_Sons_of_Disaster#Discography) Someone in another version of this thread recommended them to me and they're awesome. I have "II" and it owns. poo poo, they apparently have a new album out called "III"... I need to get on that.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I posted about how awesome Maylene and The Sons of Disaster are and nobody replied thanking me for exposing them to an awesome band in the vein of ETID :(

Seriously people check them out they're awesome groovy southern rock with the occasional metalcore flair

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

mostly because of the fans, I honestly hate unruly crowds...especially ones that crowd-surf directly onto my neck.

I once saw The Acacia Strain and It Dies Today in CBGBs

there was literally nowhere in the club you could stand and expect to not get punched in the head

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

u mad?

I, too, enjoy music. I own a couple of Emmure CDs that I listen to from time to time just because it's heavy and I like it. That doesn't mean considering one band a ripoff of another (and goddamn is it obvious in this case) dubs me a scene fag. I'm about as far removed from the scene as it gets, to be honest.

As for Whitechapel... I dunno, brainless angry poo poo is good now and then, especially for lifting/working out, but the degree to which all of their songs (and Suicide Silence, Winds of Plague, etc) all blend together and sound the same just turns me off before I even get started.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

-Atom- posted:

The new Every Time I Die fell through the cracks.

It's kind of kicking my rear end, i'm not going to lie.

oh god I have a new mission in life

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Also does anyone else love Chiodos? I have a feeling some of you may regard them as "scene wankery" but they are really so much more :3:

edit: and for those who were hating on Emmure, you can't listen to "Chicago's Finest" and tell me that isn't an epic song

That's actually one of the only Emmure songs I like. It's solid.

Also, the new ETID is loving awesome, as if there was any concern that it wouldn't be. Those guys are always a good time.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Good bands?

Blood Has Been Shed ain't nothin' ta gently caress wit'. I lost my copies of their first two albums. That makes me sad. Time to listen to Spirals.

On the subject of Emmure, "Second Hand Smoke" from "The Complete Guide To Needlework" is awesome, even if it is "Carbomb" with a sampled intro piece. In fact, that album was pretty solid as a whole, and I wish they'd followed that sound/style... "Looking A Gift Horse In The Mouth" is great.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 5, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I only listened to one song on Youtube, but they remind me a lot of KSE - not particularly fond of them. Any recommendations for better songs than "She Speaks to Me"?

They probably remind you of KSE because Howard Jones is the frontman... She Speaks To Me is their most "mainstream" song if you can even come close to calling BHBS that.

Faded Pictures, Faded Memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0hkqX81uM&feature=related

That's a good taste of BHBS even if the recording quality's not perfect.

Edit: Check out "Wetwork" and "Six Twelve" too.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 5, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

A5H posted:

Oh man, I just discovered everytime i die are touring with killswitch, inflames and maylene and the sons of disaster. It's going to be the most fun ever in the world this gig.

I thought that was only in the UK :(

My friend told me about that last night and it was the biggest cocktease ever.

Also, favorite new ETID song is presently For The Record, with White Smoke as a close second. gently caress the whole album is so awesome.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

A5H posted:

I am in the UK :buddy:

:mad: Hating so much right now

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I know I'm really late to the party on this one but I just grabbed Unearth's "The March" and man this is loving GREAT. I haven't listened to them regularly since the Oncoming Storm days and I feel like a rube now. So jammin'.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, im gonna have to check this out. Ive never listened to Unearth before :(

Unearth are great, they lean more towards the "metal" side of metalcore but still have plenty of crunchy breakdowns. They have a lot of awesome 80s-tastic solos and riffs and poo poo. Ken Susi is an awesome guitarist. He's also like 5'4", I met him two weeks ago, haha. Small dude. He was bleeding from the top of his head and had no idea how it happened during their set.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Going to see Darkest Hour and Trivium tonight out on Long Island. I will be in the parking lot drinking beer during White Chapel's set (they're on first) because seriously, gently caress those guys/their fans. I'm mainly going for Darkest Hour, but don't mind Trivium either.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Yup Crazy Donkey

You also missed Unearth @ Jones that night which is unfortunate

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

You're right, I do wish Emmure had gotten their asses kicked. Still, ballsy of Frank though. Gotta give him that.

I am seeing Every Time I Die headline the Crazy Donkey (Long Island) on 10/5 and I cannot loving wait. I've only seen them once, and it was a 25 minute set at Sounds of the Underground two years ago. A full set in a small club = yes.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I want to see DL (Acacia Strain guitar) fight Emmure. ALL of them.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Potential metalcore wrestling stable: Howard Jones, DL, Greg Puciato.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

attackmole posted:

Replace DL with Vincent and all of Emmure with Frankie, and this actually happened two days ago.

http://www.metalinjection.net/fueds/vincent-acacia-strain-frankie-emmure-brass-knuckles-match

Haha, yeah, I actually read that earlier today at work. While what really went down will remain a mystery to anyone except eye-witnesses, it doesn't surprise me to think that Frankie would pull a cheapshot like that. I just hope it ends here. We don't need guys getting shot behind this bullshit.

Also on the subject of DL, I read that he has left the band indefinitely to deal with the upcoming birth of his child. The Acacia Strain have former Blood Has Been Shed guitarist filling in. loving A. I'm sure the BHBS guy will more than hold his own, but DL is something else. He writes sick loving riffs, is fun as hell to watch live, and has a hell of a lot of stage presence. I hope he comes back.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

My friend got free tickets to see BMTH and ETID at the House of Blues tommorow :) yesssss

edit: Also, if anyones interested, BMTH has a pretty cool electronic-remix album coming out. One song is up on their myspace, and heres another (imho much better) song:

http://hypem.com/track/603991/Bring+Me+The+Horizon+-+Pray+For+Plagues+Disco+Villains+Remix+

pls post ETID setlist if you get a chance, I'm going to this show on 10/5 in Long Island

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Well, my friend stole the setlist on the last song when everybody got on stage, but I wasn't familiar with the songs really so I can't remember. I do know they started off (or maybe it was second song?) with that New Roman song or whatever, and the second to last song was For The Record. It also said ebolorama on the setlist but idk if they played it.

For The Record is loving fantastic... and if they play Elaborama that alone will make the night for me

Woohoo, can't wait

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Bob Shabazz posted:

How does everyone like Every Time I Die's new release? Sounds to me like The Big Dirty with a bit more of an edge. Really liking it so far.

You missed everyone jizzing all over it a few pages ago. And with good cause... it's loving awesome.

I like everything that band has written.

Standout tracks for me on New Junk Aesthetic are tracks 4-6, blanking on the names except for "For The Record" right now.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

So I'm not seeing ETID on Monday because all three of my friends who were going to go with me backed out, and going to shows alone sucks. Oh well.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

MalConstant posted:

I would, but isn't it part of that Harddrive tour? 'Cause the supporting acts are loving garbage. Lacuna Coil and Maylene. What the hell was ATR thinking?

I love seeing them live, they put on a good show, but sitting through those bands is too much for me.

You are loving high, Maylene is amazing. I love ATR (although Overcome is p. weak compared to Fall of Ideals and This Darkened Heart) and would be psyched to see them with Maylene. Lacuna Coil... meh. Used to like them, not so much anymore.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

deadwing posted:

Lacuna Coil were always below average, but they've become complete and total poo poo now. They're enough to completely turn me off that bill. gently caress em.

Yup. Saw them in April, they were openign for KSE. Bleh. I had their original 6 track demo like six years ago, they were awesome then. "Falling" is a great track.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Holy gently caress I have to order that shirt

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Go on, sound more pretentious.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Acacia Strain bashing going on in here is making me sad :(

They're not re-inventing the wheel or anything, and they know that. They have a sound that works for them and that they're really good at and they stick with it. They're not going to start singing. They're not going to start ripping Dream Theater solos. No keyboards. They bring the chug and bring it in large quantities and I love it.

I need to buy a new avatar (this is three years old) so that I can post poo poo like this without appearing like as much of a dickrider as I must in this post

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

August Burns Red sound great on record, I've never seen them live. But it sounds a bit off for the Strain to be opening for them... should be the other way around.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

DL apparently got his girl knocked up which is why he wasn't on the tour. I thought Acacia was great as always. Nothing particularly better about this tour than others, but not any worse.

I might have just been too exhausted for ABR when they came on, but they lack that punch they have on the albums. Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

Someone told me the Strain are touring with two guitars now, is that accurate? They hired two temporary dudes in DL's absence? I hope they keep two once DL's back... most of their songs just don't work live because of the single guitar (versus crazy layering on the albums). poo poo I wouldn't be opposed to going back to three if they find the right people, because they sounded loving unreal live during the 3750 era.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

3 guitars is pointless. DL pulls it off very well by himself, all he needs is some kind of sampler for the leads that are on the cd. Pretty funny when he's heavier than Whitechapel's 3 guitarists.

Yeah I agree, 3 is by no means necessary. I've seen the Strain more with just DL than I did with 2 or 3 guitars. You're right that it's mainly the leads that feel missing. I can't imagine seeing the band without DL there. He's half of the stage presence just by himself. The man is a beast.

Whitechapel are awful but I will say this, they play very tight and clean live. I saw them open for Trivium. I didn't enjoy their music in the slightest, but the guys know what they're doing. It's a shame they don't use their powers for good.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yeeeeeessss... Every Time I Die are finally coming back to Denmark, and they are bringing Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. That's gonna be one hell of a show.

Lucky. I would love to see those two bands together.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

m3talh3ad posted:

Lamb of God / Darkest Hour show last night in DC was very awesome. Except for the loving wheelchair guy, again. 3 for loving 3 for having to huddle around a guy in a wheelchair in the pit during Lamb of God to make sure he doesn't get crushed into oblivion. Its getting pretty god drat old.

Does anyone here like This or the Apocalypse? Or Periphery? They opened up the show, and while I'd never heard any of them, they sounded pretty good. Any thoughts on their poo poo?

How is wheelchair guy your problem? If you didn't go to the show with him and you don't know him, don't waste your time making sure his stupid no-judgment having rear end doesn't get hurt.

Also I am jealous of that show, LoG and DH own. Although I believe I am seeing Lamb open up for Metallica tomorrow night in MSG. That makes me happy. :)

What did DH play? I saw them with Trivium back in September and it was something like...

Demon(s)
A Paradox With Flies
Convalescence
Blessed Infection

And one or two others, they went on first :( Darkest Hour playing before White Chapel makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

m3talh3ad posted:

Pretty sure they played those, as well as Doomsayer, No God, and maybe Sound the Surrender? How was your show?

Doomsayer and No God, yeah they did those when I saw them in September. They were really tight and solid live and a really fun group of guys to talk to. We hung out with them during the end of Trivium's set because we were all tired and my friend Steve had taken a hardcore kid's fist to the nose in the pit (who in the gently caress hardcore dances to Trivium? Really?)