Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HEY THERE'S A NEW DESTRAGE ALBUM OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4vmOjf7Ps

I don't even remember where I first heard of these guys but they're unbelievable. Their last album was all over the place as far as style, so hopefully this new one meets the same high bar.

Here's a song off their last album and both the song and the video are honestly one of my all-time favorite metal songs, period. There's a fair amount of Dillinger Escape Plan influence in here, so if you're a fan give it a listen. (or just watch the video on mute if you want to see an Italian metal band dress up as zombies and run an endurance/obstacle course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOEKCWafsg

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New Wovenwar seems pretty good so far. These dudes definitely know how to write songs (most of them are from As I Lay Dying so I guess that's not a surprise).

They're basically As I Lay Dying with a new singer right? (since the old one tried to have his wife killed by a hitman or whatever) Sort of like how Lostprophets have that new thing with the guy from Thursday doing vocals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

When I first joined the forums, half your posts were telling people the music they liked was bad and the other half were making GBS threads on people for not being straight-edge. Somewhere on a hard drive in a folder full of decades old image macros I have a pic of you with big black Xs on your hands shouting into the mic of some Good Clean Fun type sXe hardcore band. Then one day you "lost the edge" and the next week you were already making GBS threads on people for being straight-edge. Everybody hated you. And judging by your title things haven't much changed. You're the worst kind of person. I don't care what music you like or what you think of music I like. Just be less of a shithead once in a while, you worthless clown. Or literally kill yourself. That would be fine too.

Don't tell people to kill themselves, even if they are the physical embodiment of the douchey hardcore kid who goes to metal shows and won't shut the gently caress up about how much better hardcore is

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

the new a7x is, surprisingly, good?? what the gently caress??

ehh, it's not aggressively terrible like the last few (although I'll always lol at that one song they did with Mike Portnoy that directly led to him getting kicked out of Dream Theater), but they'll never come close to City of Evil (and another Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is sadly beyond a pipe dream)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Other bands that took a massive nosedive after their first 2-3 albums:

Trivium

All That Remains

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

It's their best since City of Evil for sure, which is a step in the right direction especially after the abortion that was Hail to the King. The drumming on the album was just totally uninspired and I'm glad that guy got kicked out after just the one album

I'll give it a shot, I heard the single on the radio (The Stage I think) and it was kind of meh. Looking it up though, turns out the new drummer is ex-Bad Religion Brooks Wackerman which is pretty sweet (it also led me to the fact that Bad Religion put out a Christmas album which just :psyboom:)

Moundgarden posted:

I maintain that In Waves is their best album, but otherwise yeah I agree. Vengeance Falls is one of the most disappointing releases I ever heard and Silence in the Snow wasn't a hell of a lot better

Honestly Crusade and Shogun were such garbage I wrote them off completely. Ember and Ascendancy were loving awesome and then homeboy blew out his scream and they turned into a clone of Death Magnetic-era Metallica.

Moundgarden posted:

:agreed: though I think Overcome and For We Are Many aren't as bad as most people seem to think. Fall of Ideals was peak ATR for sure though.

This Darkened Heart is my personal favorite, but Fall of Ideals was like the epitome of metalcore IMO, perfect blend of heavy and catchy/poppy. Again, I wasn't a fan of what I heard off Overcome or FWAM so I kind of tuned them out.

I'm not necessarily saying that all 3 bands got worse as the screaming vocals lessened, just happens to be a coincidence in this case (I love newer Opeth, BTBAM and Protest the Hero for example)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

Shogun was nothing special to me, though I do like The Crusade. In Waves is their closest album to Ascendancy so if you never even gave it a shot I think you should, you might be surprised.

I dunno what it is about Shogun though. So many say its their favorite but I try to listen to it and I'm bored after 10 minutes tops

:agreed: completely on Shogun, I'll give In Waves a shot though. I was under the impression that Matt Heafy stopped screaming entirely after blowing out his voice like the guy from A7X, but I guess that's not the case?

I will admit that my opinion of them is diminished somewhat from when I saw them tour for Ascendancy - both Matt and Corey came out wearing Trivium shirts and Matt went on a long boring rant about how he was playing DIMEBAG DARRELL'S GUITAR and how great Dimebag and Pantera were

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

There is a STARK contrast between cock-rock bands like Trivium, All That Remains, Avenged Sevenfold, and actual deathcore/metalcore bands like The Acacia Strain, Unearth, Veil of Maya, etc.

That's the reason I voice my opinion so aggressively. The aforementioned bands are soft like a limp jellyfish in comparison. Isn't the heavy metal/dadrock thread better for these types?

lol Unearth is much closer to old ATR than Acacia Strain or Veil. Also have you even heard the newest Veil album?

don't get me wrong I love all 3 of those bands but just loving lol at "actual deathcore/metalcore bands"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also it's funny that you bitch about Trivium and ATR in the metalcore thread right after you post about Code Orange in the metalcore thread

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

All That Remains and Unearth used to be pretty synonymous with one another, but ATR sounds like Nickelback, or they did last time I bothered to try listening to one of their newer songs.

and yet here you are crying about people discussing ATR in the metalcore thread and using Unearth as an example of bands that should be discussed in the metalcore thread

even funnier, you are crying about people discussing how ATR and others used to be much heavier, and how their recent work has been relatively weak and much poppier

your posts and opinions are so aggressively bad it makes me a little sad that you like Veil and Acacia Strain because it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong by proxy because I like them too

Moundgarden posted:

Nope In Waves has plenty of screams, couple tracks have no cleans at all

I saw them pre-Ascendancy with Children of Bodom and maybe Killswitch? He didn't seem like a tool at that point

That's when I saw them! It was them, CoB and Protest the Hero (one of my all-time faves). Where'd you see 'em?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

It was at the Masquerade in Tampa but iirc Protest wasn't there so couldn't have been the same show

I know I've said this before but I still cannot comprehend how anyone can listen to The Acacia Strain. God drat that poo poo is so loving boring.

Same tour I meant, I saw them in Philly.

I like Acacia Strain but I don't love them tbh, I can see how they'd get boring but then again I like Deafheaven so my bar for boring music is pretty low :v:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Strain is peak deathcore. I find almost every other deathcore band boring because TAS is so good :allears:

I dunno what I would consider peak deathcore. After the Burial maybe?

Actually I went to the Sumerian Records 10th Anniversary show last year and that entire experience was peak deathcore IMO

Is this an edgy opinion or something? I'd never heard CftG but I just looked them up and they seem to fit the bill pretty well

eagerly awaiting Shooga's proclamation that peak deathcore is like Chelsea Grin or Despised Icon or something

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The point of my post and every post in the thread, with the exception of your relentless, lovely opinions and crybaby meltdowns over people liking and discussing bands you dislike, is discussion about bands we like and/or dislike.

I'm glad you think Trivium and A7X are poo poo but maybe try to contribute something more to the conversation besides "YOUR BANDS ARE poo poo STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM"

I love the fact that you're proud of how you poo poo all over people's opinions IRL too, I bet your friends loving hate you lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well I think we can all agree that the Serpentine Dominion album owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrJv2L-7rA

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this, it's loving awesome and about what I expected from an unholy union of Killswitch, Cannibal Corpse and Black Dahlia Murder

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We were talking about Conducting From the Grave, right? Their guitarist has a new thing and it's loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwZ8zMs8eA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's very Black Dahlia Murder and that's a good thing in my book

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Oh you mean the track I've been skipping every time I listened to the album today so far?

Also, initial reaction is that it's too experimental and weird. We'll see how I warm up to it.

what a surprise a bad opinion presented in a confrontational manner from shoogaslim

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

gently caress yeah, you are. I'm 36 so Disembodied and Botch were extremely my poo poo in the day. :hfive:

Botch/Narrows/These Arms Are Snakes 4 lyfe :hfive:

still funny to me how Dave Knudsen went from Botch to Minus the Bear

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Well that figures.

Guys, there's a new TAIM single up on Apple Music (so probably other streaming services too) called No Absolution that absolutely crushes. Guys. CJ is back.

drat this is really good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

new Memphis May Fire is out and at this point they're like 3 albums into their transformation from awesome southern-rock-heavy metalcore to bog-standard generic mush and I give up. What a bummer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

google music loving rules because even without a paid membership you can upload 20,000 songs and stream them wherever, which means I never have to worry about the fact that my phone doesn't have expandable storage

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moundgarden posted:

not gonna bother linking them but the new AtR singles are :laffo: hilariously, unexpectedly bad even following their last 4 shitheaps of a release

ftfy

seriously This Darkened Heart and Fall of Ideals were so good and then they just nosedived

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Look, when you have one good album (yeah, one, that's what I said, not two or three, it's really just the first one) and then like ten garbage albums, you have to admit that the one good one is probably a fluke and you are not a "weird band". You are a bad band.

Edit: ok by one good one I meant This Darkened Heart, apparently they had another one before that. But don't give me poo poo that Fall of Ideals was still good, because what the gently caress is "whispers"

dude whispers is a pretty great song

I saw them around 2004-5 when they opened for Dragonforce of all bands :laffo:

Six was in Guitar Hero 2 and that poo poo owned bones as well :rock:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

muike posted:

a good riff will redeem a poor band for a small amount

this is exactly how I feel about Memphis May Fire

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm going to get up on this cross and announce that IMO City of Evil is a bad album by a bad band but has some absolutely gnarly riffage and I still have it in my collection

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

All That Remains loving suck. What's the debate? Their only passable albums are both over a decade old, and if you want to reminisce on that very slightly "better" stuff, just go listen to vastly superior albums in the same genre like Of One Blood by Shadows Fall or The Oncoming Storm (or Stings of Conscience) by Unearth.

Here's something heavy and good to hopefully get you guys to stop talking about bad stupid stuff:

(skip to 2:40 for supremely gargly evil awesome vocals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FgTuQUmtnY

Dawg. You can dislike me all you want, but you like some loving poo poo-rear end metal, and if I grew up going to shows with you (did you even go to shows?) I would do whatever I could to avoid making eye contact with you so I wouldn't be forced into saying hi and hearing you talk about what kind of crap new album you liked.

you are certainly Mr. Cool Metal Guy and I bet you are just super popular amongst your elite metalhead bros

e: that video you posted is some of the most boring garbage I've ever heard, it's like a rejected track off one of the Quake soundtracks

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 4, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yeah I don't see what's wrong with that? Sorry you like bad stuff.

Certainly you should be listening to something like ATR instead, which is fronted by a dude who has a torn-up USA flag tattooed on his arm and looks like he really wanted the lead role in American Sniper.

Yes, I always judge the quality of a band by how annoying the front man is :v:

Moundgarden posted:

I don't understand the super-downtuned poo poo like this, xKINGx, etc. All the criticisms of djent being one-note boring poo poo apply to this stuff x1000. It's so monotonous, why would I want to listen to the same riff for an hour

poo poo, I listen to a lot of droney stuff like Earth and Om and such and even I think that song was hot boring garbage

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

It's super loving weird to be an elitist about metal

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes but it's even weirder to be that way about music that has value tied almost exclusively to weightlifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e65qtxfvdI ?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've never seen a baby crowdsurf but I've seen multiple people do it in wheelchairs which is pretty impressive all around

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

BDM owns, and has always owned.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Sorry you like music without balls. I hope Parkway Drive is working on some new milquetoast cookie cutter mEtAlCoRe album so you and all the rest of the people who look forward to moshing at Warped Tour can get hype.

yeah guys proper production and mixing is very very unkvlt

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

renting studio time? lol what a bunch of posers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're the one who got butthurt about my assessment. IDGAF broooo

^ dying at this. This is the right way to make me feel like a dumbass for even bothering to "argue" about any of this. V not kvlt.

I have a hard time believing you have enough self-awareness re: your garbage opinions to ever actually feel like a dumbass TBH

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hell I dunno, kvlt is just my general catch-all for the aforementioned "adults who get mad about metalcore" and other people who take their chosen subgenre of metal way too seriously

so yes, dudes in cargo shorts throwing down too :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

now see black metal people drive like this, and death metal people drive like that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Emmure sucks and Frankie Palmeri is a garbage human being to the point where literally the entire band except for him quit because they all hated him. It wasn't even the first time multiple band members quit because of him, either.

Even if you can ignore the fact that the band is basically "some shithead and whatever musicians he can rope into working with him at the moment" their music is awful, it's literally Limp Bizkit/Korn-style nu-metal with slightly heavier vocals

like holy poo poo I feel bad for Josh Travis going from Tony Danza and Glass Cloud to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEEwRN_YFk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

If we have to pick teams like this is Twilight then I'm team TAS all the way but Emmure have made some stuff I like. They lost me with the last full length tho, and what I've heard of the new one doesn't do it for me. I like Goodbye to the Gallows (I will never not LOL at how the intro track on that is a note for note rip of Carbomb), Speaker of the Dead and Slave to the Game a lot for lift the weights times.

Speaking of TAS, where are their new tunes at? They hit the studio last June if I recall. Dang

I pick the team that doesn't have a white kid from NYC going on Twitter rants calling people faggots and niggers

the fact that TAS is an infinitely better band is tangential in this context

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

There is no context in which cucking Emmure Frankie isn't both cool and good

new thread title right here

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They're not metalcore or anything but IMO TesseracT has one of the beefier bass tones in the general metal scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4R28hk95uQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm pretty sure I've talked about enjoying lighter stuff in this thread. For example, I love the direction that The Contortionist has gone toward album after album. I actually prefer listening to their Rediscovered tracks more than the album itself (which is fantastic). And I really love the acoustic version of Ebb and Flow by Misery Signals.

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about Rediscovered now I'm excited to listen to it again thank you

I wish there were more bands like The Contortionist and Between the Buried and Me