Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Only 2 songs in but so far I'm a big fan of the new Born of Osiris, streaming here :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I had never heard of them before but listening to the 1st track of this Take to the Skies album this is very crabcorey

e: check out anything really by Attack! Attack!, Arsonists Get All the Girls, We Butter the Bread With Butter, Of Mice and Men, Asking Alexandria etc any of those should be right up your alley

kumba fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 30, 2013

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Double post for new day (and cross-posting from the Metal Thread since this fits here too)

New record from Conducting from the Grave streaming on their Bandcamp: http://conductingfromthegrave.bandcamp.com/

Sounds much more like When Legends Become Dust than Revenants which is excellent. I'm almost done with my first playthrough and it's all that I wanted it to be.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Periphery's "Clear" is now streaming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8wIUTzjvk

Stand out tracks to me are Spencer's and and Matt's, but they're all definitely solid.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The new Darkest Hour has been out for a bit now and I have to say I love it, but at the same time I feel like they should have renamed the band to something else. It's been thoroughly Sumerianized, to say the least.

You can still tell it's them, but it's an enormous departure from everything they've done previously - I don't think I knew what John Henry's normal voice actually sounded like prior to this, but I sure do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAWAMumvZ8

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wamsutta posted:

I really loved Undoing Ruin and Deliver Us, and enjoyed bits and pieces of their other stuff before and after those two records. That being said, the few songs I listened to from the new record sucked super, super hard. Sounds like 2005 mallcore.

I'm treating it as if it's a totally different band because it might as well be

Undoing Ruin is easily in my top 3 -core albums and this one doesn't even come close, but I can still enjoy it for what it is. It's way WAY better than that trainwreck All that Remains released most recently.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wamsutta posted:

In my brain, All That Remains only put out 3 records and were called back to their home planet immediately after releasing The Fall of Ideals.

I don't mind Overcome or For We Are Many, but the last one whatever it was called was too much for me

The new Darkest Hour does have some gems though: Rapture in Exile is probably the most like their previous stuff

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really, it's not the whole "they've gone soft" thing. I mean Trivium's last album is pretty arena-rock/metalish, and I still like it a lot.

I love Trivium's entire catalog except Vengeance Falls. It took everything they did right with The Crusade and removed everything they did right with In Waves, and what ended up happening was an hour long samey sounding snorefest. VF was easily my #1 biggest disappointment last year.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

drat, I couldn't disagree more. I found VF much catchier than anything on In Waves. In Waves to me is probably their most disappointing to me, it felt like some sort of extreme reaction to Shogun's proggy full-on goodness.

Which is funny, because Shogun was an extreme reaction to The Crusade...sometimes Trivium is a hard band to pin down.

I may be weird in that Shogun never really caught my attention, and In Waves was one of my favorite releases that year.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

So, I guess I'm a bad person, but I'm on board with the new Darkest Hour. That might just be because I'm pretty much on board with anything Travis Orbin is a part of. Dude is a killer drummer.

I'm loving it as well. Anti-axis is one of my favorite songs of theirs now, and the solo near the end of Futurist (despite the rest of it being some real emo sounding radio rock) is :swoon:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't heard it yet, but given that The Oncoming Storm is one of my favorite albums ever, you guys have me super loving pumped for this

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's really, REALLY good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Guardians of Contagion is my new driving jam

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the robot drums are irritating but the rest of it is pretty good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah Parkway Drive. This is now temporarily the PYF Parkway Drive thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekRgV9PFv0

:rock: :rock:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It occurred to me this afternoon that I never actually listened to Atlas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Today is now Terrible Taste Tuesday :siren:

Post the worst poo poo that you unironically loving love, like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb7JzFe0ONU

I know in my heart this song and album are awful, horrible trash but I can't help but singalong every loving time

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and even some of the Sirens album isn't horrible but it's that one song in particular that gets me every drat time

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
3 bands i forgot existed.. well done

2005 you say??? how about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3eMzFw4to

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
or how about..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_L-gCy99wk

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In Waves is my favorite album of theirs by far, and then Vengeance Falls ended up being easily my least favorite.

I'm going to blame Draiman to make myself feel better about it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Son of Aurelius' Under the Western Sun is the first thing that comes to mind for me at least

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

In this thread's wheelhouse:

GridLink - Longhena (do people like grind here? It's also kind of mathcore)
Code Orange - I Am King
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Full of Hell & Merzbow
Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here
Xibalba/Suburban Scum split EP

I'm surprised that the name Merzbow is being thrown around and it's not a joke. Are they actually making music that's really music now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

nerve posted:

Yeah I really love the new Acacia album. I don't listen to a lot of this kind of music, what are some must-listens if I love Coma Witch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_vZ6Yhov-M

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of God Forbid, I somehow missed listening to any of their material while they were active and just this morning got around to listening to their most recent release which was awesome. Where should I go from there? Work backwards or start at the beginning and go forward?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

New Enter Shikari album dropped Tuesday and is very good, for the one other person ITT that doesn't hate them.

This is very true. This album is.. well.. something. It's great though.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't at least like tracks 2 and 4 you have "The Bad Taste"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
actually all those bands are good and fun to listen to

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
TDWP's Zombies EP is real good. Also Dead Throne. I didn't know it was possible for someone not to like Parkway Drive, because holy poo poo Horizons is amazing

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

muike posted:

I was really into Misha's soundcloud stuff while he was trying to get periphery off the ground and I thought periphery 1 was pretty underwhelming, cuz the mix wasn't great and I had heard all the interesting bits without spencer's vocals (i really don't like his singing) already. Periphery II wasn't much of an improvement as far as catching my interest but the mix was a million times better. I guess I'll check out Juggernaut. I was really hyped at one point for periphery back when they had the first singer that they released a version of Icarus Lives with vocals on but he turned out to be a dick and got kicked out or something.

If you don't like Spencer you're still probably going to hate this album

That said, it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeWJjZB_nQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNIbcqxYL0

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The new All that Remains is surprisingly not terrible. It's no Fall of Ideals, but it's certainly way better than A War You Cannot Win.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Despite the stupid title, TRUE-KVLT-METAL is actually a really great track. Song by song the album is kind of hit or miss, but overall it's certainly way better than I expected. Their last album I listened to once and never again cause it was so bad, but this release really shocked me.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
No Knock is probably my least favorite track on the album, to be fair. You're wrong about True-Kvlt though that is a good song sorry

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
sounds like a not quite as technical and lower tuned Rings of Saturn

not bad

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If it makes you feel any better, apparently those dudes can't even play what they wrote and had to record everything slowed down or whatever. I kinda dug their last two albums though, so whatever.

It wasn't that they couldn't play it at all, it was that Lucas Mann was "too focused on managing the band to learn how to play everything live" according to the other guitarist that quit so they didn't play any of the Lugal Ki En stuff at shows

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There were rumors about it, and then some former member came out and basically said it soooo

That still kinda sucks though.

Yeah it does, really any of that material would be killer to watch live

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Overcome was the beginning of the end, but both that and For We Are Many are definitely still listenable. Not every song is a gem, but there are definitely standout tracks no both.

A War We Cannot Win or whatever it was called was a horrible travesty and I listened to it once. Their recent one was better than that and has a couple good songs, but it's obviously nothing like their previous content. It's a shame because Phil has one of the best vocal ranges in all of the genre, and The Fall of Ideals really showcases that.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
also Before the Damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMp3m5Nsvs

also from For We Are Many: Some of the People, All of the Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KIAhT_lKA

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a link to that Spotify (I think it's on Spotify) playlist that has been mentioned here a few times with a ton of stuff circa 2001-2005? I know it's been in here but I can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

you are a beautiful snowflake