Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

the Bunt posted:

What the hell is crabcore? What does that infer?

I'd say about three years ago now I saw From A Second Story Window play, and this silly sausage was in the pit running from side to side in the squatted "Crab" position, extending and retracting his arms as they moved like "crab claws."

I had seen them play a few times before, but never a reaction like that and I have always since associated that band with "crab moshing."

Until today, I never knew crab-core existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
August Burns Red

ShoogaSlim posted:

But they suck live. I saw them with Acacia Strain the other weekend. How did they come out of nowhere and start headlining shows?

They sound great live. Lots of energy lots of fun. Acacia Strain is one of my favorite live bands, but they seemed a little out of steam on this tour. Hmm. DL wasn't there either. Bummer.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

I know what you're saying.

The Dirtyness posted:

Luckily they seemed to chill out with that a lot on the newest album.

Yes and thank god for this. Although the prog-esque transitions they tried worked here and not there. I can't listen to Ocean of Apathy without shaking my head at the sudden off beat jam interruption toward the end.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I doubt most bands develop their own myspace pages, let alone write their own bios on them.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

emdash posted:

Petal is my fave, so raw

It's so good. It's equal parts kicking/punching moshing, and bawling my eyes out.

If anybody is seeing them in Chicago in a couple weeks send me a pm and I'll buy you a beer.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Oh I guess Code Orange has a new drummer.

Wark Say posted:

I originally thought that the closest thing to Metalcore AC/DC would be Every Time I Die or Converge.

Only difference is that I can actually stomach listening to more than one song of either Every Time I Die or Converge in a row.

Every Time I Die is the Thin Lizzy of metalcore.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Vocals sound like new-old misery signals and not like old-old misery signals, so my expectations have been a little thrown. I've also never listened to Jesse outside of their first record so he could have developed this sound a while ago..?

Either way they make killer compositions and I'm still thoroughly hyped.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Kaonashi - I Found No Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalLG-ZiAOw

lyrics https://genius.com/Kaonashi-i-found-no-peace-lyrics

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
So who's had the better comeback: Ghost inside or As I Lay dying?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

bushwickhorseyice posted:

misery signals leaked. after one listen, this 100% does not disappoint

hell yesssssssssss

Very excited to listen to this

EDIT: nice fist listen. Cascade Locks and Some Dreams were standouts for me. Can't wait to hear the new material live! :(

el B fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 3, 2020

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

bushwickhorseyice posted:

yeah it's aoty so far for me. I think Old Ghosts is one of the best songs they've ever written.

and seconded, I might schedule a US trip around Furnace Fest next year so I can actually see them.

Mirrors and Controller were albums of those years for me when they came out. I somehow missed Absent Light, and didn't listen to it until a couple of years after it was released. I've spent the least amount of time with it and holy poo poo I'm going to be spinning it much more. It's like having TWO new misery Signals to listen to!!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Some of the guys posted ig live stories of them in the studio last week. I'm hoping for a surprise EP or something, but this is likely a TIDtheseason live stream announcement.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

ShoogaSlim posted:

a buddy of mine sent me this as a potential leaked album art of some sort. take it with an enormous brick of salt bc this is what he said along with sending the image

I'm so happy this is real because I love that cover.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Currently watching the Misery Signals "live stream". It's a pre recorded performance, which is no biggie for me. It feels like I'm watching a music video, though. Not necessarily a performance. Lots of jump cuts to the individual band members in only a single spotlight each. Artistically, I get it; Live in Isolation.

Beyond that, I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to it.

update: holy hell listening to Jessie perform songs written after ...Malice... is refreshing.

el B fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 6, 2020

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Code Orange Kids was loving awesome then they dropped "Kids" and went heavier into the industrial-esque direction while adding mixed media content to their live shows. I didn't care for CO's last two albums, but they made enough of an impression on me early on that I'll always check out their new material. They can still manage some heavy as hell breakdowns. At the end of the day they're making music for a living and trying to appeal to a wider audience, which I will always respect.

edit: hell yeah
https://youtu.be/SpVa-x7YndY

el B fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 25, 2021

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I'll always mark out for Howard Jones. I was discovering all types of metal when End of Heartache came out. My first introduction to KSE. A big group of us went to see them on tour supporting the album, and I was only vaguely familiar with it. It was a pretty defining moment for me as far as concert experiences go. I hadn't really been to a club show; just large venue concerts until that point. Pretty visceral experience that I'll always remember. I was hooked after that.

Alley Katz in Richmond, VA if anyone is familiar. drat do I miss that place.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Never heard of Hazing Over before watching this. Very good imo

https://youtu.be/AzDNZqBEzXo

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
New Kaonashi is out today. I've made myself familiar with their music over the last year and half. I expected good things, but this new record caught me by surprise.
https://youtu.be/pynucl-9JXg

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
That Chicago venue, Beat Kitchen, is a dive bar with a back room. Should be wild.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Quick PSA: If you're interested in the ETID/Spiritbox show, pre-sale tickets go up this Thursday 8/19 at 10am. Use password ETIDVOYEURIST

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just chiming in to say Colors II is great, maybe their best since TGM (coincidentally gave up my tickets to see them play that album tonight because of COVID. Sad.)

I'm catching them tonight. Just looking at the ticket that I've kept in my drawer all this time. They were supposed to play May 19, 2020. Very excited for tonight.

Chicago venues are requiring proof of vax, or negative test within 72 hours. Masks are to be worn while not actively eating or drinking. I expect a bunch of old fucks like myself in attendance to respect the rules, but we'll see how it goes. Stay safe and protect yourself, everybody!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Omnikin posted:

Seriously I’m at the clean singing section of More of Myself to Kill and it’s so high school it kills me

They played this song tonight. Tommy said, "How about an old one? This is "More of Myself to Kill" and I immediately went "ohhhh poo poo this is that guy on SA's favorite song!!"

Related, the person who got me into BTBAM in the first place said that the album cover of their self titled reminded him of our high school auditorium.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

The visuals to that third track gave off huge Destiny vibes

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
The Whip was the standout track for me on my first listen. Hostile Architecture sounds like it could be a Kaonashi song. Love it. White Void could be a He Is Legend song. Love it. Josh Scogin killed it on All This and War. Overall I think the new album is fantastic.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Code Orange want a Grammy so f'n badly.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Speaking of Protest the Hero, I caught Saytr playing tonight. I totally forgot they had pretty much sampled a PTH riff until I heard them play this song. I've enjoyed everything they've done, but this song bugs me.

https://youtu.be/sX-ZmnD9JdY

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Yeah I find myself singing it in my head or under my breath a lot. "I got what I came foooorr"

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
What changes need to be made?! Oh my god what's happening?!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

XIII posted:

Coming to you live from Tid The Season. Two bands in and someone has already puked in the drinking fountain.

If you can snag a large rucking fotten tid shirt I will pay you double and extra for your troubles to ship it.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

XIII posted:

Night one is done. I have El B's shirt. Someone puked in the middle of the bathroom floor. Let's go Buffalo!

Man, the set list looked amazing. Have fun on night 2. Thanks, again!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

XIII posted:

Courtney LaPlante did Emma Boster's feature on A Serpent's Touch with Knocked Loose. It ruled

Hell yeah!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Kaonashi was my obsession for the second year in a row. I was careful not to get too excited for Dear Lemon House, but it really exceeded my expectations. I don't like making lists, but theirs was definitely my album of the year.

I also listened to a lot more hardcore than metal core this year. Drain, Mindforce, Fiddlehead, Zulu, Move bhc have been given a lot of spins this year.

I also went to more shows in a six month period than I typically would go to in a whole year. Stay safe out there, everybody!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I love when the band I want to see is supporting. Leaving shows early is the best.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I bought $200 worth of etid shirts and hoodies from their website yesterday. This morning most of their items are sold out. Hmm maybe I DO need that denim Radical jacket....

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
https://youtu.be/mgqAc2Ux1Tw

Just a reminder that this was Code Orange.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
And Cole Crutchfield left knocked loose to front this band.

https://youtu.be/niTmsiOR4VY

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Eastwood is a whole vibe, though — great late summer tunes

Yesterday on Cole's ig he announced his new career pursuit in aviation, and took his first solo flight. Very cool.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Watching End play right now. P good.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
End was in fact loud and samey. Better live than on recording imo.

Misery Signals was loving amazing. I've been waiting 16 years to see them.

Comeback Kid was great.

There were a lot of etid shirts being worn. I'm eating chicken vindaloo right now. Awesome night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I just came in here to say

BLEH!!!

https://youtu.be/iXSk6yRqYxk